Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tarmac drive price 600m2 .

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Smythi

Hi macadam looking to get 1700sqm of sma laid in kildare possibly need some drainage. kerbs in on drive sleepers around house good base surface well compacted 18 years may need blinding off any idea of cost per sqm at the moment any suggestions advice welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Poco90

macadam wrote: »
    Freed some space fire away.

Hi Macadam, your PM's are full. Looking to send you one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Poco90 wrote: »
    Hi Macadam, your PM's are full. Looking to send you one.
    Fire away..

Get ready for a big price increase.
    If you can lock in a price do it before the 1st of May, as the new carbon tax is about to kick in and I hear Bitumen is to get a big increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Get ready for a big price increase.
    If you can lock in a price do it before the 1st of May, as the new carbon tax is about to kick in and I hear Bitumen is to get a big increase.

Thats just what I need!

I had a price ages ago and accepted it, but with all they work he had on and the lock downs it hasnt been done yet and looks like it will be next year before the backlog is cleared.

Maybe I need to look for someone else.... But I worry that if they are available they might not be one of the "good guys".

Any recommendations in midlands for 250m2.
    Whats the current pricing looking like?

• Advertisement

ArrBee wrote: »
    Thats just what I need!

I had a price ages ago and accepted it, but with all they work he had on and the lock downs it hasnt been done yet and looks like it will be next year before the backlog is cleared.

Maybe I need to look for someone else.... But I worry that if they are available they might not be one of the "good guys".

Any recommendations in midlands for 250m2.
    Whats the current pricing looking like?

Pricing depends on whats involved distance from supplier etc.
    Check with suppliers for recommendations.
    Prices atm seem to be anything from €18 to €24+ per m2 for a blinding and 50mm finish.
    Its your money you decide who and what you want, similar to if you were buying carpet or tiles for your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Pricing depends on whats involved distance from supplier etc.
    Check with suppliers for recommendations.
    Prices atm seem to be anything from €18 to €24+ per m2 for a blinding and 50mm finish.
    Its your money you decide who and what you want, similar to if you were buying carpet or tiles for your house.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Really helpful thread. Have a tarmac drive about 10-15 years old and it's in ok condition. Doesn't get too much traffic which has prob helped. Bit of moss growing in patches that I am working on.

I was looking at getting smartseal or some other similar product and doing it myself but haven't seen too many people post about it. One useful poster on here with photos has given me confidence. What are peoples thought on it.

Driveway is pretty big and wraps around house so will take a good bit of work if I decide to do it.

I can recommend Liquafix S, its a polymer Bitumen and is produced by Charles tennant and Irish Tar.
    I have used it a number of times and it will extend the lie of your driveway,its recommended to be done every 3 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

I can recommend Liquafix S, its a polymer Bitumen and is produced by Charles tennant and Irish Tar.
    I have used it a number of times and it will extend the lie of your driveway,its recommended to be done every 3 years or so.

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate the expert advice. If you ever have an excel question or fantasy football would be happy to help :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 jamekill

Hi,
    I am located in Co.Mayo. Looking for some idea of price per sqm for SMA @ 50mm depth
    Area to be covered is approx. 290 sqm

Once supplier is quoting €22-23 per sqm. This includes up to 50mm of 804, drainage, 50mm of SMA and 13.5% vat and laid with tar machine.

Seems quite competitive but has anyone any other experiences?

jamekill wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am located in Co.Mayo. Looking for some idea of price per sqm for SMA @ 50mm depth
    Area to be covered is approx. 290 sqm

Once supplier is quoting €22-23 per sqm. This includes up to 50mm of 804, drainage, 50mm of SMA and 13.5% vat and laid with tar machine.

Seems quite competitive but has anyone any other experiences?

50mm of 804, drainage (what does this consist of?) 50mm SMA (compacted?) all inclusive of vat for €23 per m2 €6670.00 less vat @13.5% =€5876.00 so its €20.26 per M2
    You should book him and give him a deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭SQLDBA

Hi All,

Looking for some advice on a quote I got for 625 sq meters of bunratty black chip Tarmac 50mm finish including 2 loads of 804 needed to prep the ground. Drains and kerbs already in.

€12,000 inc. VAT based in Kerry. Reputable and busy contractor.

Does this sound good? Anything I should consider?

Cheers

SQLDBA wrote: »
    Hi All,

Looking for some advice on a quote I got for 625 sq meters of bunratty black chip Tarmac 50mm finish including 2 loads of 804 needed to prep the ground. Drains and kerbs already in.

€12,000 inc. VAT based in Kerry. Reputable and busy contractor.

Does this sound good? Anything I should consider?

Cheers
    Doubt theres anything wrong with that price, theres almost €8 grand of SMA plus stone plus labour overheads etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭SQLDBA

Hi Macadam,

Thanks for taking the time to reply and all your contributions to the thread in general.

Just to clarify this is for tarmac using bunratty black chip and not SMA.

I’m not totally clear on the difference between SMA and Tarmac but it’s tarmac that I was quoted for and was adviced the bunratty black chip would provide a nice finish in terms of colour lasting longer??

Thanks

SQLDBA wrote: »
    Hi Macadam,

Thanks for taking the time to reply and all your contributions to the thread in general.

Just to clarify this is for tarmac using bunratty black chip and not SMA.

I’m not totally clear on the difference between SMA and Tarmac but it’s tarmac that I was quoted for and was adviced the bunratty black chip would provide a nice finish in terms of colour lasting longer??

Thanks

Not too sure re the Bunratty Black chip, sma is approx €10 per ton more expensive than wearing course macadam up east..
    Macadam will wear quicker on areas where it gets a lot of abrasion. Didnt think reputable contractors are using macadam on driveways, only non reputable trying to save the extra expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭JoeA3

@macadam, I tried to reply to your PM just now, but your inbox is full!

JoeA3 wrote: »
    @macadam, I tried to reply to your PM just now, but your inbox is full!

Getting a lot of PMs its great people are taking in the advice on this thread.

Im getting a lot of PMs from people with zero posts, if you dont contribute or post here I will not be replying.
    Thanks, so dont bother to PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Pjkelly

Who would you recommend in kerry? Kerbs and drainage in already, 260sqm

• Advertisement

Pjkelly wrote: »
    Who would you recommend in kerry? Kerbs and drainage in already, 260sqm
    Try your local suppliers they should be well able to recommend a contractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

Hey, looking at prices for tarmac a drive that's approx 750m2.

In the southeast, it's currently has good rock down as it's been used for farm access.
    Would concrete be a better/cheaper option as farm machinery will also be using it.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 36 skeating

Hi All - every tarmac contractor seems choc a bloc at the mo.. I have 320 sq m ready to go but stuggling to find someone - does any one have a recommendation for reputable contractors in Roscommon/Mayo area (I live near Ballaghadereen)

thanks in advance

Hey, looking at prices for tarmac a drive that's approx 750m2.

In the southeast, it's currently has good rock down as it's been used for farm access.
    Would concrete be a better/cheaper option as farm machinery will also be using it.
    Thanks

Yu will need 150mm of concrete with steel and or fibre mesh so I reckn itll be well more expensive.

skeating wrote: »
    Hi All - every tarmac contractor seems choc a bloc at the mo.. I have 320 sq m ready to go but stuggling to find someone - does any one have a recommendation for reputable contractors in Roscommon/Mayo area (I live near Ballaghadereen)

thanks in advance

Everyone out the door and not a spare man to be got even GO.
    Try the suppliers Roadstone and Lagan in your area, if its ready to go its a handy day.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭spose

Like everyone here can I pick your brain too please….Would you recommend that every 3 years from first laying or after a certain age? Have a drive coming up on 5 years old. All good, just fading. If this would help it maintain its structure long term I’d look at doing it.

Also have tarmac that’s about 12-13 years old. Pretty sure it was powerhosed previously and surface isn’t the most stable. Would this help maintain or restabilise the surface or would it be a waste of time/money putting it on that?

Last question any ballpark idea on price of it? Can see coverage on their website but no prices
    Thanks

spose wrote: »
    Like everyone here can I pick your brain too please….Would you recommend that every 3 years from first laying or after a certain age? Have a drive coming up on 5 years old. All good, just fading. If this would help it maintain its structure long term I’d look at doing it.

Also have tarmac that’s about 12-13 years old. Pretty sure it was powerhosed previously and surface isn’t the most stable. Would this help maintain or restabilise the surface or would it be a waste of time/money putting it on that?

Last question any ballpark idea on price of it? Can see coverage on their website but no prices
    Thanks

Think its approx €160 per 25 ltrs, If the surface is anyway decent ie chips not ravelling it will extend its life.
    Its recommended to treat it every few years with Liquafix, in your case it should be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Alfagtamini

Hi All

How's does this price sound?

Next available slot with this contractor is March. Has come recommend.

Tipperary/limerick area

Price : €17,000

480sqm total area,

50mm 804,

50mm SMA.

Drainage fully installed ( nothing currently)

120m of kerbing installed

2 X Inspection hatches for electric gates

Removal of current finish stone

Dig out and leveling of approximately 120sqm to be level with existing driveway

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭Sami23

Hi all, have a driveway ready to do here myself and would like to know if that's a myth or not about the Bunratty black chip giving a longer lasting 'black' colour say over for eg. Galway Roadstone tarmac/sma.

Have approx. 450sq mtrs to do here - would anyone be able to hazard a guess at what it might cost at current prices ?

10 year old well compacted driveway not requiring any fill.

Tia

Post edited by Sami23 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Envious of all your massive driveways!

Have about 70m2 of a driveway we're looking to get done in Dublin. Half of it is an existing concrete drove and the rest is grass.

I assume those price per M2 will go up substantially for such a small area?

Do those prices include any ground works - e.e. removal of grass and laying 804?

What depth of 804 is needed?

Can you put the 804 directly on soil or do you need a bigger stone underneath?

Lastly, can you lay on top of concrete to give the same finish to the whole area?

Really appreciate all the help!

Advertisement