Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bitterballen??

Options
  • 16-11-2012 5:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

An amazing Dutch delicacy from my time as an intern working in The Netherlands .. does anyone know where (if possible) you can get these Ireland?? Same for Kroketten and Frikandellen :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

They definitely have Frikadellen in Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Somewhere on either this forum or Cooking and Recipes, there's a recipe for kroketten, a search should find it. It's a bit long winded though for something that's essentially 'fast food'. I may be mistaken, but I think bitterballen are just small ball-shaped kroketten, I never tasted any significant difference between the two, anyway.

As for frikandellen, I'm sure if you ground up some pigs ears, snouts, tails and other unmentionable parts, you'd get very close :)

They definitely have Frikadellen in Lidl.
    Those are frikadeller (Danish). Dutch frikandellen are long and sausage shaped and a bit rubberier in texture than frikadeller.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Alun wrote: »
    Those are frikadeller (Danish). Dutch frikandellen are long and sausage shaped and a bit rubberier in texture than frikadeller.

Here in Belgium we have Frikandellen/Curryworst in the freezer section. Not in Ireland ?? I hope not or I'll never get over my addiction when moving back to Ireland.
    I don't care about the unmentionable parts. I'm a firm believer in using everything of the animal if it has to be killed for meat. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I don't care about the unmentionable parts. I'm a firm believer in using everything of the animal if it has to be killed for meat. :p

+ 1000

• Advertisement

Me neither, but I suspect that the actual real meat content of the average frikandel is vanishingly close to zero :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I'm pretty sure they are the same thing, only difference is the language, it's just a meatball, doesn't really matter what shape they come in. I've had the Aldi ones and they are packaged as FrikadelleN. I've had it in Amsterdam and it was far nicer but you couldn't expect much for what they charge in Aldi.

Well all I can say is that I've tried the Lidl frikadeller, and I also lived in the Netherlands for 13 years so I know what a frikandel is as well, and regardless of the shape the Lidl frikadeller are more meaty and have a different texture than any frikandel I've ever eaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Well all I can say is that I've tried the Lidl frikadeller, and I also lived in the Netherlands for 13 years so I know what a frikandel is as well, and regardless of the shape the Lidl frikadeller are more meaty and have a different texture than any frikandel I've ever eaten.

I'm sure you are right, just googling it there now there appears to be a number of different meat products all over europe and scandanavia which all sound like a variation of the same word:)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Batigol309

Kruidnotten are lovely...was in Holland for few weeks in October and loved these...and the almond cakes....the do good (but not the healthiest) food on the go!! Those frikadellen are very dubious...best not to think whats in them!

The Dutch fast food shops like Smullers and Febos are genius...hot food in little vending windows....Quality food is questionable but its novelty of getting the food :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

I lived in the Netherlands meself for 10 years. I always liked the kalfskroketten. I never came accross anything like them over here, same for the bitterballen. Another favorite was the rookworst from the Hema. The smoked sausage over here is not the same.

marozz wrote: »
    Another favorite was the rookworst from the Hema. The smoked sausage over here is not the same.
    Amen to that! One of my guilty pleasures was a quick Hemaworst when out shopping on a cold wintry day :)

You can get Unox rookworst by mail order from various places onlin (along with a lot of other Dutch goodies) if you want it for making proper erwtensoep, for example. I still have trouble finding a good piece of gerookte spek to give it the real flavour though. They just don't seem to smoke it enough here. And celery leaves are pretty difficult to find too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The only fast food I really miss from Holland are frietjes stoofvlees but I learned how to make them now so it's all good.

The only fast food I really miss from Holland are frietjes stoofvlees but I learned how to make them now so it's all good.
    Oh, stop it :D I was partial to a patatje oorlog from time to time too, usually in Utrecht station waiting for the train home after a bad day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

Oh, stop it :D I was partial to a patatje oorlog from time to time too, usually in Utrecht station waiting for the train home after a bad day :)

Oh yes, a patatje oorlog! I had a 24 hour " chipper" around the corner from me and after a night on the town, 3 or 4 am, I'd pop in for a patatje oorlog and a broodje speklap. Lekker!

Advertisement