Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 7 - USB flash memory issue

• 16-11-2012 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭

In order to be able to connect my N7 to USB key flash drives, I bought an OTG cable and installed Nexus Media Importer (my N7 isn't rooted). However, when I attach a USB key, the N7 still can't seem to see it at all. I've no idea what's wrong unless there could be an issue with the cable (which I can't even test). Anyone have any ideas or experience with this issue?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

TBH I thought OTG cables only worked on rooted devices as recognising them was related to the device's kernel.

Any particular reason for not rooting the device?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Otacon wrote: »
    TBH I thought OTG cables only worked on rooted devices as recognising them was related to the device's kernel.

Any particular reason for not rooting the device?
    Thanks for the reply Otacon.

The answer to your question: squeamishness. I rooted my phone a year or two ago, but I was happy enough to keep the N7 stock in case I f*cked it up somehow. Nexus Media Player seems to be specifically sold as a non-rooted solution to the USB drive issue.
    Nexus Media Importer allows you to import and stream music, video, photos and documents from a USB flash drive or SD card connected to your Nexus 7, Galaxy Nexus, Xoom or other Android 3.2+ devices with USB Host support. This is the only non-root solution for devices that do not provide native support for external flash storage.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.homeysoft.nexususb.importer&hl=en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Ok, embarrassingly, when copying and pasting the info from the Nexus Media Importer site my eyes fell upon the instructions - and this crucial couple of steps appears to make all the difference:
    -Attach the OTG cable to the Nexus or other device.
    -Attach your USB device to the OTG cable.
    -The application will launch automatically.

I was attaching the whole lot in one go, which apparently it does not like.

I'll leave this here in case anyone else has the same problem, and so others can have a laugh at my expense.

Advertisement