Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fake nails, what are my options?

• 16-11-2012 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

I've decided to give fake nails a go as all my life I've had thin, soft, peeling and bendable nails. It's aggravating as I always want to paint my nails but can't due to the size of them and it really bothers me having man looking hands like these :(

I'd like something that's strong and last long! I've bought cheap sets in boots before but they irritated me as they felt flimsy and like they were going to rip off whenever I had to open something with my nails or pick at something. Is this the same case with professionally done nails?

I'm not looking for anything special, just something to make my hands look nice and feminine like this: notd-vogue-vert-2286725.png

rather than my usual.. (not actual nails but similar) large_nails.jpg

Which are better Gel or Acrylic? How much should I expect to pay for them and how long should they last?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

You should really do a thread search in here for info on gels/acrylics :-) honest-Ive posted about gels a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

search for bio sculpture too - less damaging, not instant results but they'll not damage your nails & will strengthen them in the long run ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

dellas1979 wrote: »
    You should really do a thread search in here for info on gels/acrylics :-) honest-Ive posted about gels a few times.

I have and none of the posts or threads answered my q's.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stargirl.gra

Gel is cured under uv lamp acrylic self cures. I was told the difference is acrylic can be that little bit stronger if you work with your hands. I work with animals, i have gels on amd it's not a problem because I use a strong builder gel.
    Price wise depends where you are in the country, i know in waterford you can get a full set of gels for €25 euro so maybe look to be paying 25-35 maybe? Refils the will fall in lime with that price eg. If you pay 25 to get them done, refils may be 20?
    How often? Generally every 3 weeks. Now people who bite there nails actually tend to have faster nail growth so may for the first few treatments need 2weekly refils, and maybe if a person has slower growth they could stretch to 4weeks. The thing is, it's very important to get the nails refilled or removed at the appropriate time, if you try stretch the time, the nails get longer and weaker on your finger and so one bang and you could really hurt yourself.

Really? What are your specific questions?

I just got my new gels on today :)

Oh I see want a comparion with gel Vs Acrylic. Well I dont know anything about acrylic.

I have been wearing gels for about 14months now. I have weak nails anyways and I will bite them when they get scraggy - any bit at all and Id be off biting. The first time I got them done, my nails were short like yours, so they put some tips on, by the next refill, my own nail had grown and I didnt need a tip (some places put on tips, other places build up a tip with the gel). You wont bite your nails with gels on, because the look so nice, and its hard to get through. I get them done (refilled because of nail growth - it will be noticable from the cuticle) for e35, and refilled every 3/4 weeks. They will last 3/4 weeks with out any chipping or damage (if you look after them-I had someone stand on my finger once, and the gel snapped off-you get the picture). And I love that they are so low maintenance. An hour in the chair every 3/4 weeks, and I dont have to think about them after that. Brilliant for low maintenance grooming :-).

The only thing I dont really like about them is that for every refill, you will need to get them filed off (by hand or electic file), and today for example and for some reason i was more sensitive, so every nails or so, it hurt a little (really only a little bit). But there is a good choice of colours too. Ive a coral pink on me now. Last time I had black. Before that purple/blue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I've had both and I'd recommend acrylic- mine are bulletproof! Gels aren't as strong. If I don't have acrylics on I will literally bite my nails til they bleed- my front teeth are actually worn down from biting them- I've had to get them filed straight again twice.

I get mine done in the Nail Zone in Clerys. They're not the cheapest place but they're really good. My nails were extremely damaged when I went to them- I had Shellac done and rather than get it removed, I pulled it off and damaged my nails so badly- they were literally like paper. 4 months later I have lovely long natural nails, covered with acrylic to stop me chewing them.

Please don't just go to whoever's cheapest- the training and skill of the tech, and the quality of the products they use, is everything.
    There's too many cowboys out there who did a weekend course and now call themselves "nail techs". Good training and high quality products don't come cheap. Gel and acrylic doesn't damage your nails- unskilled nail techs do that! (Same with hair extensions but that's a whole other thread!).

You bit through gels???:eek::eek:

Are we on the same page here? When I say "gel" I am not talking about shellac (soft gel).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

You bit through gels???:eek::eek:

No, sorry I meant if I don't have acrylic or gel on I bite my nails.
    Are we on the same page here? When I say "gel" I am not talking about shellac (soft gel).

I know the difference between gel and Shellac :)

I wasnt implying you didnt :). Its just the way you wrote it, it sounded like you'd bitten through the (shellac) gel, which is possible. The hard stuff is welded on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I've decided to give fake nails a go as all my life I've had thin, soft, peeling and bendable nails. It's aggravating as I always want to paint my nails but can't due to the size of them and it really bothers me having man looking hands like these :(

I'd like something that's strong and last long! I've bought cheap sets in boots before but they irritated me as they felt flimsy and like they were going to rip off whenever I had to open something with my nails or pick at something. Is this the same case with professionally done nails?

Which are better Gel or Acrylic? How much should I expect to pay for them and how long should they last?

MY OPINION:

Go for a hybrid gel like BioSculpture, Shellac etc. It goes on like gel and is cured under a UV lamp, is very tough and will last for about 3 weeks before the regrowth becomes too noticeable. It's also not as damaging to nails as acrylics particularly when it's time to remove them.

My personal fave is BioSculpture as it is very tough. Shellac would be softer and I wouldn't get quite as long out of them. (I have a horse and between grooming, riding etc my nails break at the slightest thing so Bio keeps my nails really tough and durable.) Bio can also be used to lengthen your nails if that's what you're looking for. Ask the technician about using a Builder Gel to do this.

You can pay anywhere from €25 - €70 depending on where you get them done. Sometimes the likes of Groupon will have a special offer or keep an eye out in local salons. My local salon is currently doing Shellac for €25 and the odd place in Dublin City is doing Bio for about €30. BT does them for around 60/70.

• Advertisement

Valentina wrote: »
    MY OPINION:

Go for a hybrid gel like BioSculpture, Shellac etc. It goes on like gel and is cured under a UV lamp, is very tough and will last for about 3 weeks before the regrowth becomes too noticeable. It's also not as damaging to nails as acrylics particularly when it's time to remove them.

My personal fave is BioSculpture as it is very tough. Shellac would be softer and I wouldn't get quite as long out of them. (I have a horse and between grooming, riding etc my nails break at the slightest thing so Bio keeps my nails really tough and durable.) Bio can also be used to lengthen your nails if that's what you're looking for. Ask the technician about using a Builder Gel to do this.

You can pay anywhere from €25 - €70 depending on where you get them done. Sometimes the likes of Groupon will have a special offer or keep an eye out in local salons. My local salon is currently doing Shellac for €25 and the odd place in Dublin City is doing Bio for about €30. BT does them for around 60/70.

Where in dublin (south or city centre) can you get Bio sculpture, I was searching online and can't find anything. You are the second rider to recommend getting gel over acrylic so I might do that! It was actually the horses and riding that was mainly putting me off getting my nails done thinking it wouldn't be worth while! Now that other riders do it I think it'll be worth while :D

Where in dublin (south or city centre) can you get Bio sculpture, I was searching online and can't find anything. You are the second rider to recommend getting gel over acrylic so I might do that! It was actually the horses and riding that was mainly putting me off getting my nails done thinking it wouldn't be worth while! Now that other riders do it I think it'll be worth while :D

In Dublin you can get BioSculpture in:

Nails Inc, Brown Thomas
    Nails Inc, Debenhams

Nail Chic, Parnell St (I've never been here but both the girls here worked in Nails Inc Debenhams and I always found them good. They also only charge €45 according to their website)

Yeah I would have no nails if it weren't for gels! Horseriding has destroyed them, not that they were great to begin with. Grabbing the mane or grooming her tail, the hair just slices through my weak nails so any bit of growth and they will break, even with gloves on :( I still keep them short-ish but at least they are strong and the gel doesn't chip so they look great for weeks. :D

If you get Bio done, get some acetone free polish remover and once a week or so just gently wipe over the gel and reapply a clear top coat. Keeps them looking super glossy for longer!

Valentina wrote: »
    In Dublin you can get BioSculpture in:

Nails Inc, Brown Thomas
    Nails Inc, Debenhams

Nail Chic, Parnell St (I've never been here but both the girls here worked in Nails Inc Debenhams and I always found them good. They also only charge €45 according to their website)

Yeah I would have no nails if it weren't for gels! Horseriding has destroyed them, not that they were great to begin with. Grabbing the mane or grooming her tail, the hair just slices through my weak nails so any bit of growth and they will break, even with gloves on :( I still keep them short-ish but at least they are strong and the gel doesn't chip so they look great for weeks. :D

If you get Bio done, get some acetone free polish remover and once a week or so just gently wipe over the gel and reapply a clear top coat. Keeps them looking super glossy for longer!

I'll check those 3 places out thank you! I found a place (Dylan Bradshaw) on william street that does them, have you heard anything about that?

I'll check those 3 places out thank you! I found a place (Dylan Bradshaw) on william street that does them, have you heard anything about that?

Never got my nails done there but I think DB is a reputable salon so you shouldn't have any problems!

Just saw on nails inc facebook page, get a copy of tomorrow's Grazia magazine for a voucher to get 2 for 1 on a gel manicure! So if you have a friend that wants a gel mani you can split the cost between you. It's valid until Dec 4.

Advertisement