Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to buy chipboard cut to size?

Options
  • 16-11-2012 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

hi,
    I'm building a desk into an alcove and was wondering if anyone knows where I can buy chipboard (or any other suitable materials ) cut to size or even close to the size and I could attempt to cut it myself. If anyone knows any places in limerick and a rough price, it would be much appreciated :)
    the size I need is aprox. 50x125 cm
    cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

B&Q or your local builders providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Mdf would be better

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭AoifeCN

ok, I'll check that out , I'm also planning on painting it white , would it be better for that? sorry, I'm such a diy nube :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

AoifeCN wrote: »
    ok, I'll check that out , I'm also planning on painting it white , would it be better for that? sorry, I'm such a diy nube :P

Yes it would be better than chipboard for painting.

You could try a kitchen or wardrobe place and they would have covered chipboard so you wouldn't have to paint it. They would probably cut it for you also.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭AoifeCN

ok, and i was just wondering what thickness i should get i was having a look at b and q's (uk) website and the options seem to be 6mm,9mm,12mm and 18mm, it would be holding a computer monitor so there would be a good bit of constant weight on top of it?
    cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

Get yourself some 18 Melamine chipboard or mdf have a look online for fitting shelves and the likes into alcoves as 8 times outa 10 both walls in an alcove are off square meaning you'd be left with gaps each side ......the jist of what to do is mark a center point on back wall bring that mark out 90 degrees and measure the left of the centre then right of center giving you 2 measurements which add up to the total width do the same on the back wall...then with your timber mark in the centre and copy your measurements downing to the timber result perfect fit ......it's quite easy prob seems a bit long winded but worth it it will save you a few quid on painters mate filling gaps

Advertisement