Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anonymous on 40m

Options
  • 16-11-2012 6:15pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Soundbites really.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20356757
    Anonymous also produced a package of information for people in Gaza detailing alternative ways for them to communicate if net and other telecommunication links were cut.

From the document.
    It doesn't mention anything about Israeli expertise in RF/comms.
    Telecomix, a European based internet activist group has established a few basic ideas for radio communications. I'd like to
    take some time to expand on them and make things a bit clearer and even to help the lost when it comes to the radio hobby.
    Telecomix has established a basic set of frequencies on the 40 meter Amateur Radio band (Don't worry if you're not licensed,
    there's a loophole I'll explain in a bit).
    This frequency is located at 7.050-7.200 MHz Lower Side Band AM Receivers should have NO problem receiving this
    frequency it may sound funny due to the way sideband works (Beyond the scope of this primer)
    If you intend to transmit on the above frequency, be sure you are using a Side Band transceiver. In a pinch, AM will work as
    well however; not as efficiently (Meaning you won't talk far as you theoretically could via sideband).
    Listen for ON/KC0SJH to be calling "CQ" (Seek-You) between 16:00-05:00 UTC Friday mornings. If you are able to transmit,
    please return his call and introduce yourself or offer any assistance as required.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Helping a bunch of people indiscriminately firing home made rockets at nearby Civilian targets ONLY and Iranian rockets at Tel Aviv and Jerusalem.

People that have vowed to destroy Israel and kill every Jew.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭OldRio

I believe this is a Radio forum and people should keep their political views to themselves.

AS for the use of radio to help civilians. I applaud.

Anonymous is "political". They are not in the business of helping civilians in Gaza, with Radio or otherwise. Red Crescent is the appropriate organisation.

The original post is blatantly political and misleading. Two way communication would not be used by ordinary Gazans, but by Hamas only.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well reading the posts.
    Only you come across as blatantly political.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Like I said "Soundbites really"

Only really of interest if you were bothered to listen in, or were concerned about misuse of the airways.

Totally impractical for someone in Gazza to have an undetected conversation on that band. They'd be lit up like a Christmas tree. In November. In a part of the world where few people ever use them.

• Advertisement

Um... There ARE lots of Palestinian Christians (The west bank rather than Gaza though). There are Israeli Christians (Arab, Jewish and other), Lebanese Christians and Egyptian Christians.

Not all Arabs are Moslem. The PLO are actually technically Atheist (Communists, in practice almost all are Moslem or Christian)
    Don't call a Moslem (or any other kind) Iranian an Arab.

Actually they have MULTIPLE Christmases in Middle East due to at least THREE different Calendars.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

watty wrote: »
    Actually they have MULTIPLE Christmases in Middle East due to at least THREE different Calendars.
    Ok maybe not such a good analogy :o
    but I wouldn't like to be a commission only Christmas tree seller in the Gazza Strip.

Re Calendars , there are a lot of Ethiopian's there too :)

West bank yes, Israel yes, but not Gaza.

I met Ethiopian in M.E. Their capital has more than x4 the population of Ireland, 1/4 of the population live in it though.

Probably Christmas trees are a bit German and maybe nothing to do with Christmas really. Wikipedia says so too, so it must be true :)

Advertisement