Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think that tenants are ready for Property Tax-inspired rent increases?

Options
  • 16-11-2012 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭

As per the title?

Given that rents can be reviewed once per year, and that most landlords will be upping the rent in line with the new Public Service Pension ChargeP Property Tax, are renters ready?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

Absolutely not! Property tax is as it's named, a tax on the property and should be paid by the property owner. Why should it be passed on? If my landlord tried passing it on, I'd be out the door. Plenty more places to rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Baralis1 wrote: »
    Absolutely not! Property tax is as it's named, a tax on the property and should be paid by the property owner. Why should it be passed on? If my landlord tried passing it on, I'd be out the door. Plenty more places to rent.

I think its a bit of dreamland to think lanlords generally will not pass it on. The market will decide and if the majority of lanlords increase then tenants will not have a choice.

As a property tax based on funding local authoritites I personally believe it should be paid by the occupier of the property but we will have to wait and see

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭Jumpaddict

Pkiernan wrote: »
    As per the title?

Given that rents can be reviewed once per year, and that most landlords will be upping the rent in line with the new Public Service Pension ChargeP Property Tax, are renters ready?

Property Tax...the tax that goes to your local council? or are you insinuating something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Baralis1 wrote: »

I think your living in dreamland any extra costs a landlord will have will be passed on to tenants, they are in it to make money not to subsidise housing for people.

Also no one said that its up to the landlord to pay it, the new tax could be like in the UK where the person living there pays it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

In practice it's a cost of being in the business, so it'll be passed on eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Given that there is an overhang of vacant properties, it will be difficult for landlords to pass on the full amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Victor wrote: »
    Given that there is an overhang of vacant properties, it will be difficult for landlords to pass on the full amount.
    If these vacant houses are not in the rental sector it makes no odds.
    Nothing surer that LL will pass it on. Likely to be another exodus of LL from RA provision also

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I would have assumed that it would be viewed like council tax over here (i could show you a bill :( ) - it is supposed to go on local services isn't it? I would be expecting it to be passed on. Also as already mentioned, if all the LLs pass it on, where is the occupant to move to to avoid it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭OMD

Victor wrote: »

Not really. According to the Daft report rent in Dublin has increased about 3% in last year. That is about €400 a year which would be about the same as many estimates for a property tax. The number of vacant properties hasn't effected this in the last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Daft is asking price though

Doesn't every haggle on rent when they go to view it?

I have done anyway on any place I've ever rented

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

As an accidental landlord I am hoping that the property tax will be implemented properly so that the occupier of the property will pay for it as in other countries. After all if it is for local authorities/services as we are ring told then the user if those services should be paying.

If its not done this way I will be passing on the increase. I can't afford not to.

As we all know though this isn't a local authority tax but a 'pay back the troika tax', as the money being paid to coUncils from this tax is simply being taken from councils by central government and used to service the troika loan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

After all if it is for local authorities/services

And yet people in social housing don't have to pay..
    Do they not use any services? :confused:

But that's more politics forum then here I think

mikemac1 wrote: »

And yet people in social housing don't have to pay..
    Do they not use any services? :confused:

But that's more politics forum then here I think

Do we know yet though who has to or doesn't have to or is that just this years tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

In Northern Ireland and UK the tenant pays the council tax. Why not the same in the Republic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭The Idyl Race

afatbollix wrote: »
    In Northern Ireland and UK the tenant pays the council tax. Why not the same in the Republic?

Because Official Ireland loves fúcking those who have marginally more than nothing in the ass. Gotta keep those public servants in jobs :rolleyes:

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Daft is asking price though

Doesn't every haggle on rent when they go to view it?

I have done anyway on any place I've ever rented

But it was asking price last year too and people haggled last year. It compares like with like and is a fair reflection of the increase in rents. It may not accurately reflect the actual rent but should show any changes

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Public Service Pension Charge
    As we all know though this isn't a local authority tax but a 'pay back the troika tax', as the money being paid to coUncils from this tax is simply being taken from councils by central government and used to service the troika loan.
    On-topic please. There are enough threads elsewhere to discuss that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

If these vacant houses are not in the rental sector it makes no odds.
    Nothing surer that LL will pass it on. Likely to be another exodus of LL from RA provision also

Lots of parts of Dublin it's very hard to even get rental property. I know a couple of people lookin with fairly large budgets and they are finding it hard. The tables have turned from a couple of year ago when you could knock a few quid off the price, at least in some parts of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

As an accidental landlord I am hoping that the property tax will be implemented properly so that the occupier of the property will pay for it as in other countries. After all if it is for local authorities/services as we are ring told then the user if those services should be paying.

If its not done this way I will be passing on the increase. I can't afford not to.

As we all know though this isn't a local authority tax but a 'pay back the troika tax', as the money being paid to councils from this tax is simply being taken from councils by central government and used to service the troika loan.

Are you trying to say that landlords are not going to benefit from a tax paid to the local authority for the provision of services in the area. The local authority area is what makes your property rentable. No one is going to rent your property, no matter how lovely it is, if the area is a **** hole/run down and neglected by the LA. This money is going to stop that from happening.

A loan that came about through bailing out banks, who loaned to people like youself, so they could buy up properties, at prices that a monkey could see were ridiculous, which continued to fuel the housing bubble......so on and so forth...

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

CommanderC wrote: »
    Are you trying to say that landlords are not going to benefit from a tax paid to the local authority for the provision of services in the area. The local authority area is what makes your property rentable. No one is going to rent your property, no matter how lovely it is, if the area is a **** hole/run down and neglected by the LA. This money is going to stop that from happening.

A loan that came about through bailing out banks, who loaned to people like youself, so they could buy up properties, at prices that a monkey could see were ridiculous, which continued to fuel the housing bubble......so on and so forth...

What are you on about, the OP stated he is an "accidental Landlord" so we can assume like most of us he bought a home in the boom and not an investment property or seven as you imply.

In addition the tax is supposed to be to make up the funding shortfall that local authorities now have due to central goverment reducing their payment so no this will make no differance in terms of "The local authority area is what makes your property rentable". i.e. it is the area that make the property rental not the LA. They will still provide the same services as before just now the money the budget they lost from central goverment is supposed to come from the tax. Maybe we can get back on track if your finished ranting.

As others have said, LA aside. There is more demand for then properties available in certain areas of Dublin and indeed as I found even in "select" towns in "North" Kildare with rents rising in line with demand as is pure and simple "Supply and Demand". Any business of which renting a property "is" at the end of the day have to pass on costs, the tax is a cost which will effect "EVERY" business i.e. property, when every business faces a new cost especially those in an area when demand outstrips supply then they can and most likely will pass that cost to the consumer.

People here forget that desirable areas have become no less desirable than they were before and that fact 500 apartments were built in some town in the middle of nowhere in Mayo has no effect on this.

Clarify North Kildare Statement. Boom Time Rent: 1000pm, fell to 700pm average post bust. Now getting 800pm (within scope in increase as is now below the market rate for the immediate area) with min ten people per viewing and had choice of tenants and deposits offered at viewing. RA/RS already priced out of the immediate area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I'm trying to imagine a conversation with my landlord that begins with him saying "Misty, I'm putting up the rent..." Every single version ends up with him having an empty property for a lwhile.

I'm trying to imagine a conversation with my landlord that begins with him saying "Misty, I'm putting up the rent..." Every single version ends up with him having an empty property for a lwhile.

if thats the case then so be it.
    i'm sure in your ideal scenario you would like that to be the case.

we had a tenant leave in august, put the rent up by 5% to reflect market value and had 8 groups of people wanting to move in. the property was vacant for 24 hours between changeovers.

I'm not out to screw people. I dont even want to be a landlord, however I will have to charge what I have to charge. If I am landed with a €600 per year property tax, then the rent will go up €50 per month accordingly at the end of the term.

Like I said, hopefully the 'council tax' will be charged to the occupiers, as it should be

That's a massive assumption on your part as for "every" landlord it won't, for a lot say in South Dublin it will end up with "you" looking for a new property and the landlord with a new tenant in days at a new higher rent.

Why is it on "Boards" especially, two years ago people were nearly screaming Ask (read demand) a rent reduction, and now they refuse to believe in certain areas market conditions/demand are reflected in increasing prices. At the end of the day if you rent for 700 and the going rate is 800 then said Landlord would be an idiot as a business person not too seek the market rate for his property. It is a not a charity. Just as the same landlord would be stupid to seek 800 when the market rate was 700.

if thats the case then so be it.
    i'm sure in your ideal scenario you would like that to be the case.

Not ideal at all. I'd prefer to have a roof over my head.
    That's a massive assumption on your part as for "every" landlord it won't, for a lot say in South Dublin it will end up with "you" looking for a new property and the landlord with a new tenant in days at a new higher rent.

Erm, I didn't say anything about "every landlord". I specifically said "my landlord". For you see I was talking about my landlord, my flat and my situation, no-one else's. That's a massive misreading of my post on your part there.

BTW, someone moved out of a flat in my building and the landlord tried to rent their flat for the same price as the ex-tenant was paying. It lay vacant until he lowered the rent by €50 a month.

Not ideal at all. I'd prefer to have a roof over my head.

Erm, I didn't say anything about "every landlord". I specifically said "my landlord". For you see I was talking about my landlord, my flat and my situation, no-one else's. That's a massive misreading of my post on your part there.

BTW, someone moved out of a flat in my building and the landlord tried to rent their flat for the same price as the ex-tenant was paying. It lay vacant until he lowered the rent by €50 a month.

This is a "general" discussion on the property tax and it's effect on tenants so it is appropriate to assume that your stance refects your opinon on the matter in the general sense of the thread. As for your building or landlord and such, again this is a general discussion not about your building or your personal circumstances, for all we know that apartment could have been over priced to begin with for the area, finish etc so my original points stand when we are discussing the topic based on the average property in an area. There will always be exceptions to the rule.

That is, in an area where demand outstrips supply, prices will rise and as a tenant you have two options, pay up or leave when the rent is increased in line with the "market rate".

This is a "general" discussion on the property tax and it's effect on tenants

Whereas my post clearly is talking only about my flat. There is no ambiguity there. "I can imagine my landlord..." is not a post about "flats in general" regardless of what you are talking about and I am not barging in telling you what you mean so maybe less assuming of what I mean when I've clearly stated what I mean. Three times now.

Does it end up with you paying less elsewhere? If so how will that happen?

OMD wrote: »
    Does it end up with you paying less elsewhere? If so how will that happen?

Yes. How will it happen? I will move out of here and into another property. There is no other option. I'm already paying too much to live here, I'm not paying more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Yes. How will it happen? I will move out of here and into another property. There is no other option. I'm already paying too much to live here, I'm not paying more.

If youre already overpaying for your property then thats a seperate issue entirely. But if you think that your landlord, and every other landlord in your area/the country, is not going to pass on a significant charge like a property tax to their tenants then you are living in cloud cuckoo land Im afraid.

I dont know how much this charge is going to be, but if for arguements sake it is €600 a year then you can be damn sure that virtually every tenancy in Ireland will rise by €50 a month. Leave your current place if you dont want to pay it to your current landlord but you will end up paying it to someone.

• Advertisement

But that only works if the property you move to does not have property tax included in rent. As you are already paying too much for your property (not sure why you haven't moved already) the landlord may not need to add property tax to the monthly rent.

Advertisement