Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need a new router?

Options
  • 16-11-2012 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

I've a WRT160N wireless Linksys router. Would I benefit from one that offers 5.4gz? If so which one?

My router only offers 2.4Gz and the signal is intermittent. It's situated downstairs while my computer is upstairs.

I've tried various channels and settings (see pic) but the signal is really poor. I can get 25MB downstairs and only 5mb upstairs.

Comments

If it's a signal strength issue then 5 GHz will actually be worse. Higher frequencies don't penetrate walls as well as lower frequencies. You may need an access point or range extender instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Can you recommend one?

I think the neighbours router is interfering with mine but I've tried all the channels and they haven't made much of a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

What is your Router Next to ?

TV, MicroWaves can all lower the Signal of your Wireless Router,

they both Run on a 2.5Ghz Range,

Baby Mics, Hand Phones for the house run on 2.5Ghz,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I changed the firmware to DD-WRT. It's improved things but I'm still not getting near my full speed. The router is near the TV, a HTPC and Xbox and a few other things. I think the neighbour's wi-fi interfering as I haven't changed my set up in a while. We've no home phone or baby mic.The microwave is normally off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Was the Box Always Working to the Full Speed while next to the TV

Plug out Every thing that the Router is Next to and turn off and back on the Router and try it then

Leave everything else off while doing this test

• Advertisement
Advertisement