Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which translation? (Cervantes and Kafka)

Options
  • 16-11-2012 10:23pm

Hi folks,

I've been wanting to read Cervantes' Don Quixote and several of Kafka's novels for quite a while. As always, when it comes to reading works written in languages other than English, choosing a good translation is an extremely important decision. I recently picked up a copy of Don Quixote, but it was before I'd done any research, so I didn't pay attention to who translated it. The copy I have is a P. A. Motteux translation, which, after a little research, is regarded as one of the worst. Likewise, I picked up a compendium of Kafka's novels, and, like with Don Quixote, I paid no attention to who the translator was — in this case the translators were Willa and Edwin Muir, whose work is regarded as less than satisfactory.

I've done a bit of research on both regarding which translations are generally regarded as the best, but I'm still slightly confused and I don't want to commit to another purchase until I'm satisfied I'm buying the best possible translation. I won't mention which translations I'm leaning towards in either case because it might introduce a bias in the answers given.

So, have you read any of Kafka's work, or Don Quixote? Have you any recommendations for a translation?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Aubry

For the Quixote I would definitely recommend the Edith Grossman translation (Vintage Classics). A Spanish-speaking lit prof I know always recommends either Grossman or Burton Raffel (Norton). Having taught on the Grossman myself, I'll say I think the prose in it is beautiful in its own right, and the critical footnotes are wonderful in explaining her translations of wordplay and tropes.

Thank you, Aubry. Grossman's translation is one of the two I'm torn between — the other being John Ormsby's 1885 translation. I'm leaning towards Grossman's work simply because it is annotated and has footnotes; as far as I'm aware, Ormsby's translation included neither. Being a 21st century Irishman, and not a 17th century Spaniard, I'm certain the footnotes are almost absolutely necessary; there are, from what I've read, countless references and allusions in Cervantes' masterpiece that would be lost without relevant footnotes. I think I'll pick up Grossman's copy on The Book Depository now.

Does anybody have any tips regarding Kafka?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Can't help on Kafka but would agree re Grossman translation of Don Quixote - and you defintely need and appreciate the footnotes..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Just checked my copy, its Motteux.
    I thought D Q was one of the finest books I've read. so , is it worth getting one of the more highly regarded translations

I read The Trial, have to say I'm underwhelmed. I don't know what translation, but I don't think that was it. I think bureaucracy has grown to such an extent that it's not as shocking as when it was written. It's kind of like Paul Gaugin's White Horse. When this was painted, a green horse and orange water was scandalous, now you think `meh, its a horse drinking out of a river' as times have evolved, it's not the first time ever its been done.

Advertisement