Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood Turning Tools

Options
  • 16-11-2012 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

Would anyone know where I could buy some wood turning tools- maybe a set, in Dublin or online ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 faithful chippie

downstairs in mc quillan tools on capel street, mabye a little bit deer but its in dublin, if you can travel the carpentry store in naas can be a bit cheaper for some things it seems but i havent been in there much really. dont bother with the websites for either, both crap, well mcquillans one isnt too bad but still.

good luck with the new hobby (i presume?)

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

As said already, try the Carpentry Store. See what it is for a set and see if they are any cheaper on Ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There's also Goughs on Little Mary Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Avoid the cheapo Chinese stuff - the metal is hopeless. Better to start with a few quality tools by Sorby, Crown or Ashley Isles. Id suggest a browse on the www.axminster.co.uk website or better still get their catalogue. Its a delicous menu of all things related to turning.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

recipio wrote: »
    Avoid the cheapo Chinese stuff - the metal is hopeless. Better to start with a few quality tools by Sorby, Crown or Ashley Isles. Id suggest a browse on the www.axminster.co.uk website or better still get their catalogue. Its a delicous menu of all things related to turning.

Crown are cream of the crop. They also own the Hamlet range of turning tools but told me the Crown tools are of the better of the two. By the way, thanks for your advice on the Woodworkers Institute forum. I'd still like to get the arbor for the dado blades but was am still worried about the safety aspect of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 dmcgarry

Mcquillans in blanchardstown shopping centre have an average starter set for either €99 or €129, they're the exact same set as on axminsters site. Wouldn't go buying mad expensive ones till you're good at sharpening.

Damien McGarry
    http://www.wexfordwoodworking.com

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

Yeah, it's a new hobby. Thanks for the advice, Ill check all of those places out.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 dmcgarry

What lathe did you get? You should check out your local wood turners guild.... loads of great people always willing to help and some great demonstrations.... heres a link to their site
    http://www.irishwoodturnersguild.com

Damien McGarry
    http://www.wexfordwoodworking.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

woodturner wrote: »
    Crown are cream of the crop. They also own the Hamlet range of turning tools but told me the Crown tools are of the better of the two. By the way, thanks for your advice on the Woodworkers Institute forum. I'd still like to get the arbor for the dado blades but was am still worried about the safety aspect of them.

No problem. Sorby or Ashley Isles are better made imo but pricey. If you start with a roughing gouge, a spindle gouge and a scraper you are off to a good start.
    Dado blades are no more dangerous than any other spinning blade.The top guard must be left off so common sense applies.Nothing beats them for cutting accurate, crisp rebates and trenches. Technically it all depends on what arbor you have on the saw. I'm guessing you have a standard short 30mm arbor which is deliberately designed to prevent dado blades being used. ? The ideal would be to end up with the American 5/8" arbor ( I buy my blades online from the US as my saw has this size but are available from UK suppliers.)
    If the saw is belt driven with a separate trunion it might be an idea to contact JET and see can you change out the whole trunion to a 5/8" one ? Keep us informed !

Advertisement