Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any sign of upgrading my exchange

Options
  • 16-11-2012 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54,345 ✭✭✭✭

I do get fed up of giving out about awful broadband during peak hours in golden. If eircom actually installed larger backhaul in the exchange in the first place, we wouldnt have the problem

A letter I got from eircom a year ago now

""The speed available to the end user attached to an exchange is dictated by the backhaul capacity from the exchange into the wider eircom trunk network. Any exchange with less than 24mb backhaul can only offer 3mb and below. This is the case with Golden which has a 16meg backhaul capacity.

Therefore it would not be feasible for eircom to offer the higher speed.

The situation will of course change as eircom upgrades its network backhaul capacity which is being done on a phased basis driven by capacity demands."

I got my broadband in July 2010 and was great back then, no peak hours trouble but now its a bloody nightmare. Its a shame that eircom are only concentrating on the big cities with their new fibre broadband instead of even caring about the customers they have in rural areas

I did a ping -t www.eircom.net tonight and once again the ping is all over the place with highest being 120

Why cant eircom upgrade the backhaul in Golden co tipperary? Does it cost that much, do ye even care about rural communities?

I live less than a 1min away from the exchange and was told by eircom tech that my line is well capable of over 12mb broadband but im stuck with pathetic 3mb broadband.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,345 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Here's a test I just did a minute ago

SXG9I.png

Now if you were to compare that off peak hours, its 30-37. Unreal difference

Now finally after midnight I have some sort of gaming ping but in saying that the ping does seem very very jittery on a couple of occasions there. Isnt it fair bad I cant play what I love between 9 and midnight?

8a4F4.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Sadly eircom has grossly inadequate backhaul in up to 300 Broadband enabled exchanges. They are (slowly) rolling out fibre still, meaning that exchanges where a Tetra or Metor mast is co located will get fibre backhaul/low pings. However I would be concerned about exchanges with no masts onsite.

This is often caused by the fact that the current backhaul is clapped out 20-30 year old gear and that they essentially have no choice now they are spending their €€€€s where they are competing with UPC/

One of the last exchanges they launched before they finally abandoned their ADSL rollout program, Ballycotton in Cork, was restricted to no more than 2mbits per connection in order to manage the grossly inadequate backhaul tech deployed there.

On other exchanges they oversold 3mbit packages that they cannot reliably deliver.

Complaining loudly, and often, is all one can do. :(

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Sadly eircom has grossly inadequate backhaul in up to 300 Broadband enabled exchanges. They are (slowly) rolling out fibre still, meaning that exchanges where a Tetra or Metor mast is co located will get fibre backhaul/low pings. However I would be concerned about exchanges with no masts onsite.

This is often caused by the fact that the current backhaul is clapped out 20-30 year old gear and that they essentially have no choice now they are spending their €€€€s where they are competing with UPC/

One of the last exchanges they launched before they finally abandoned their ADSL rollout program, Ballycotton in Cork, was restricted to no more than 2mbits per connection in order to manage the grossly inadequate backhaul tech deployed there.

On other exchanges they oversold 3mbit packages that they cannot reliably deliver.

Complaining loudly, and often, is all one can do. :(

I forgot to reply this this last night

Thanks for the reply Sponge Bob

The golden exchange has its own mast afaik but unsure what type of mast it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi Headshot

I am sorry that i cannot be the bearer of better news but I have no further update to the correspondence you have received and that I can only confirm that there are no plans for upgrading your exchange in the near future. I do understand the inconvenience this is causing and equally I apologise for this.

Regards

Al

• Advertisement

This fella spent a whole year giving out about his backhaul and it was finally upgraded last year Headshot.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056810957

He then got ADSL2+ , unexpectedly, on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

If i was directing Eircom or any other Irish broadband provider.. I'd advise them not to upgrade any further rural ADSL exchanges from here on out. What Eircom should do is rollout 4G to rural areas not yet been upgraded to the (DSL) 24mb network

Why?

How many urban dwellers are likely to switch from Fibre optic broadband to 4G mobile broadband?

Eircom, and other broadband providers ok might be able to sign up new customers for their new 4G network, but due to fibre rollout across Irish city areas. I have the believe 4G will be less of a success in those urban areas already serviced by fibre broadband and cable. I know this goes against the norm city areas first than other locations. But the fact is no customer is going to give up UPC for 4G or DSL

Eircom and other broadband providers will lose out if they spent 'most ' of their 4G upgrading investment in those urban locations.

If I directing Eircom i would advise them to rollout 4G to rural areas outside our city areas (limerick, Cork, Galway, Waterford, Dublin) first and upgrade every town to 4G in Ireland.

I think its pointless to upgrade DSL when 4G is likely to beat DSL speeds and pricing in the future. 5G if comes likely to do even more damage to the DSL market.

Headshot wrote: »
    Now finally after midnight I have some sort of gaming ping but in saying that the ping does seem very very jittery on a couple of occasions there. Isnt it fair bad I cant play what I love between 9 and midnight?

8a4F4.png

Its one of the main reasons people moved to UPC from Eircom. Gaming ping/latency upload and download speeds very important. Gaming is a bigger industry now than the movie industry. The old folks running Eircom think 3 meg and 7 meg and 312 kb uploads are fine for gamers. But its not fine. Eircom internet is awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

And they still have ads for "uncongested" broadband. I genuinely pity anyone stuck with them.

Yet another day of awful ping, 150ms to be exact

Do eircom think this is normal? I want to hear an answer please

Why cant I play from 6pm to midnight with at least some decent ping?

Its a disgrace tbh, how backward our broadband infrastructure is and its all thanks to eircom

• Advertisement

Eircom haven't a clue they upgraded a town called Foynes which is about 24 miles from Limerick city to NGB ( they can get 24mb broadband now) i live in a village called Pallaskenry 10 miles or so from Limerick city and it has 100 plus more people living were i live than Foynes and still growing more houses been build. But i'm still stuck on 7 meg package for the last five years, does my nut in how slow the speeds are in this day and age.

Only ten miles away people can get 150mb with UPC it really annoys me, its a pain. Eircom, isn't cheap either so makes it even worse. Only good thing is my 7mb line is stable and they never annoyed me if i went over the 50gb data allowance.

I hate to have 150 ping, i game online. But i use to play competitively too, but had to quit because most of the games were played on an a English host. Eircom, 6 meg and 312kb i have i lagged way too much to play good.

Why in this day of age does a user have to put up with this rubbish

IxCCz.png

Every fecking night is the same thing. My heart is broken. I love playing online and I just cant in the night time. At least reply to this eircom and explain why every f-ing night its this bad

midnight test

Wk7WJ.png

****ing dreadful

I cant wait when I get the phone call from sky, ill be jumping ship like no tomorrow. Eircom may get money for the broadband (line rental) off sky but my house wont have any landline phone bill with eircom, that will hurt ye

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

midnight test

Wk7WJ.png

****ing dreadful

I cant wait when I get the phone call from sky, ill be jumping ship like no tomorrow. Eircom may get money for the broadband (line rental) off sky but my house wont have any landline phone bill with eircom, that will hurt ye

I tested the same on my UPC connection. Granted the pigs are lower but inconsistently jumping around from 10 - 22ms - don't think it's all to do with the isp

I tested the same on my UPC connection. Granted the pigs are lower but inconsistently jumping around from 10 - 22ms - don't think it's all to do with the isp
    Its darn straight its to do with the isp
    During the daytime I get a consistent 34-35 ping

The nights are ****ing killing me because of the backhaul they are to ****ing cheap to upgrade

It has to do with the 1980s technology behind the 2000s DSLAM. No choice but to put in a proper STM1 or Fibre backahul. They did so in the Inch St Lawrence exchange in Limerick last year and that exchange was further upgraded to ADSL2+ ( known as NGB but a 2005 standard) in recent weeks.

Big jump going from a lossy substandard 2-3mbit connection to a lossless up to 24mbit connection in a year. :)

It has to do with the 1980s technology behind the 2000s DSLAM. No choice but to put in a proper STM1 or Fibre backahul.They did so in the Inch St Lawrence exchange in Limerick last year and that exchange was further upgraded to ADSL2+ ( known as NGB but a 2005 standard) in recent weeks.

Big jump going from a lossy substandard 2-3mbit connection to a lossless up to 24mbit connection in a year. :)

Do they cost much?

10k a pair of radios, Inch St Lawrence has c 500 lines whereas Golden would be nearer 400.

10k a pair of radios, Inch St Lawrence has c 500 lines whereas Golden would be nearer 400.

not sure what that means

is that 10k multiplied by 100 or somthing?

Or is it just 10k full stop?

111ms ping tonight

God what deplorably service eircom provide and they dont even have the nerve to reply to post 11

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

111ms ping tonight

God what deplorably service eircom provide and they dont even have the nerve to reply to post 11

Hi Headshot
    we have replied to numerous post from yourself. You have received a letter from eircom stating the speed capacity and situation there.
    "The situation will of course change as eircom upgrades its network backhaul capacity which is being done on a phased basis driven by capacity demand".

All efforts have been taken by those involved in your case. We cannot add further to these communications.
    Tony

Tony I pmmed ya

This is the trouble im having after an eircom technical support resprestive did interleaving on my connecting to see does that make a difference to ping (which made it worse infact)

I was told twice that it went back to 3mb broadband but it couldnt have

I know for a fact that I get 2.50-2.70mbs download but look at the crap im getting now

2398380514.png

yuuLZ.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Why in this day of age does a user have to put up with this rubbish

IxCCz.png

Every fecking night is the same thing. My heart is broken. I love playing online and I just cant in the night time. At least reply to this eircom and explain why every f-ing night its this bad

Hi Headshot
    As requested by your self a letter of explaination has been sent to you. I understand your frustration but we have provided detailed explaination on a number of occasions re your local exchange speed capacity.
    This exchange is a satellite exchange that has a maximum capability of "up to 3MB".
    You should receive letter advising of situation soon.
    Tony

Hi Headshot
    As requested by your self a letter of explaination has been sent to you. I understand your frustration but we have provided detailed explaination on a number of occasions re your local exchange speed capacity.
    This exchange is a satellite exchange that has a maximum capability of "up to 3MB".
    You should receive letter advising of situation soon.
    Tony

Do you think this is normal ?

2400268464.png

Bare in mind I should be on 3mb broadband and during the day time I get 2.70mbs

It was bad enough I had awful ping times after 6 but now im download is ****ing awful

2400296705.png

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Any news on when the Rockmount exchange on the Kilrush road in Ennis will be upgraded to NGB? getting more and more congestion on the line here......?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi ctlsleh

Unfortunately at this moment there are no plans to upgrade the Rockmount exchange. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Regards

Al

Hi Alan,
    i see a couple of vans down there everyday and there was a new cabinet installed there in December......What are they up to then?

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Hi Alan,
    i see a couple of vans down there everyday and there was a new cabinet installed there in December......What are they up to then?
    i notice that on this website http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/ngn-access it indicates that rockmount will be upgraded in Dec 14.....!!! is this for FTTC, or just for DSL backhaul? if its for FTTC, then what tecnology will be used to get from the cabinet to the houses on that exchange? will Eircom laydown fibre? or wil lit just be ADSL2+ which we already have or VDSL?

its hard to see the point of rolling out GPON to the cabintet if the services to the actual customers does not change.....?

I would have thought the cost of upgrading rural exchanges to ASDL2 is less now than ever, due to the introduction of 4G in the summer and fibre and cable broadband been already there for Irish customers.

Its old technology DSL, so still unsure as to why Eircom can not provide better speeds then 3 and 7 meg to most of their rural customers?

Eircom, should still upgrade exchanges that likely will never seen Fibre or cable. Because ADSL 24 MB that would do people for least another five years.

• Advertisement

Fair depressing I cant play online at night

Right now its unplayable 

For anyone who is thinking of going to Eircom, please dont go to them. They are an awful company that have awful broadband. Even 3rd world country has better broadband than eircom I reckon 

Go to UPC or any other wireless provider for broadband please. Hell Sky have entered the market and own some of the exchanges and people are getting faster speed with them than they ever got from Eircom. If you have a chance go to sky, go.

Why should we tolerate this awful company that owns most of the exchanges in Ireland?

Advertisement