Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A view from the boundary - off-topic discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

HonalD wrote: »
    http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1124714/are-t20-leagues-making-money

Interesting article. International T10 is starting in UAE in late December with Eoin Morgan captaining a team. That's as far away from being selected by England for the Ashes as you can get!

Shame because he'd be no worse than what dross the middle order had been serving up for large parts of the summer.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Unbelievable catch in the Big Bash today.

https://twitter.com/BBL/status/955403552888832005

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Would have preferred it if he had got up off the floor and made the second catch himself!

T20 has brought a new dimension to catching though, and I've seen similar catches where the guy throws the ball up as he goes over the rope to come back into play and complete the catch. I'd never seen anything like that until the past couple of years or so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Mad under 19 game last night, Australia 127 all out. England 96 all out. Aussie leg spinner took 8-35, top score in each innings was 58. England were 47-0.

Winners of the most obvious fixers competition?

https://twitter.com/TheCricketPaper/status/958409362804019200

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

That’s as blatant as you get for that level of cricket, just throwing their wickets away
    Disgraceful and really sad to see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Seemingly it was an "unapproved tournament" which was not registered with the local cricket board (e.g. Cricket Leinster etc.) It was a privately run tournament and was telecast on Neo Sports in India and elsewhere and that's how there is footage of it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

HonalD wrote: »
    Seemingly it was an "unapproved tournament" which was not registered with the local cricket board (e.g. Cricket Leinster etc.) It was a privately run tournament and was telecast on Neo Sports in India and elsewhere and that's how there is footage of it.

It's a bit harsh to blame Cricket Leinster for this! I know they have their problems, but I don't see what they could do about this.

:D (for the hard-of-sarcasm).

As has been commented on in the tweet, not a bad knock even at that age group. Possibly a slight mismatch.

https://twitter.com/GlobalCricketer/status/962770581346234370

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Well at least they made a bit more of an effort in the 2nd innings

:pac:

• Advertisement

a great knock, poor sportsmanship in kids cricket

BBDBB wrote: »

Yeah, shame the teacher didn't act more responsibly. Could easily declare at three or four hundred. I imagine it was pretty soul destroying for the lads chasing the ball around.

Not sure - if you had a chance to make your first 1,000 run knock you might want to give it a go (I know I would, but then again getting into 2 figures was definitely a challenge for me!), particularly as time does not seem to have been an issue

Indeed and pretty boring for his teammates too

Beasty wrote: »
    Not sure - if you had a chance to make your first 1,000 run knock you might want to give it a go (I know I would, but then again getting into 2 figures was definitely a challenge for me!), particularly as time does not seem to have been an issue

To be honest Beasty Id argue the "chance" to get over a double century was pure indulgence at best let alone 5 times that.

Great we get it, you can bat, well done, what about the rest of the team? or the spectators, most likely parents and classmates of the losing team. Was it really worth rubbing their faces in it, is a question I think a fair one to level at an under 16 cricket match.

lol, thats the clip I immediately thought of

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Well at least they made a bit more of an effort in the 2nd innings

:pac:

Of that 52 all out, 42 came from a spirited 8th wicket partnership. Alas, Arya Gurukul were batting a man short in the second innings who might have made all the difference!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/958395/scorecard/958397/KC-Gandhi-English-School-vs-Arya-Gurukul-(CBSE)--Bhandari-Cup

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

To be honest Beasty Id argue the "chance" to get over a double century was pure indulgence at best let alone 5 times that.

Great we get it, you can bat, well done, what about the rest of the team? or the spectators, most likely parents and classmates of the losing team. Was it really worth rubbing their faces in it, is a question I think a fair one to level at an under 16 cricket match.

Agree 100%.

From my understanding of the match, the opposition consisted mainly of 13- and 14-year-olds, playing just to make up the numbers. I don't see the attraction of flaying them to all parts, and I completely agree that the teachers/coaches should have stepped in.

• Advertisement

What a sensational T20 match that was. Reduced to 14 overs Lancs 175-2, Yorks fall one run short. May be disappointed with the result, but the match was fantastic nonetheless

damn, I was invited to go to that, (as designated driver!) so I made my excuses and chose not to

sometimes Im a real dope

Northants failed to defend 231 in twenty overs. Managed a draw though, which was their first point of the tournament. We really are dreadful this year, even by our usual standards, and t20 is usually the bright spot in our year.

Bowlers are all medium pace trundlers and we're getting found out, plus injuries, plus a captain who's lost the plot, last game before last night, the only bowler who was going for less than ten an over was the only one who didn't bowl out.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Bairstow ticking along nicely for Yorkshire today. Great to have Williamson back, his 1 run over two innings could be the difference....

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭spud06

Gotta say surrey look very very good in the county championship at the moment. Yorkshire with the players they have should be doing better

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Ye should just make a county cricket thread lads, might get more posts then too

Ye should just make a county cricket thread lads, might get more posts then too

Good idea, though the season is a good way through (or already over if you're Northants).

Done: https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057895291/1/#post107615382

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

What a sensational T20 match that was. Reduced to 14 overs Lancs 175-2, Yorks fall one run short. May be disappointed with the result, but the match was fantastic nonetheless

Patto's drop of Liam Livingstone proved crucial. And it was definitely his catch!

Still, we stuffed them in the 4 day game. (At least it should have been a 4 day game but finished before lunch on day 3!)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Poor form, the bowler is well out of order
    You're on 98 and your team needs two runs for victory. A maiden century is yours for the taking.

Or is it?

Club cricketer Jay Darrell found himself in exactly that situation on Saturday - and what happened next has caused a fair bit of controversy in the Somerset Cricket League.

Instead of delivering the ball, a Purnell Cricket Club bowler chose to send it to the boundary to give away four runs and one for the no-ball - thus denying Minehead batsman Darrell his century.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/45075013

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Skid X wrote: »
    Poor form, the bowler is well out of order

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/45075013

Club cricket is full of self important idiots, not surprising really, 99% of players are not self important idiots, but the 1% ruin it

Advertisement