Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony Xperia R800i

• 16-11-2012 11:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm a long time Android phone fanboy (well 3 years) and I'm used to flashing ROMs etc on my own Samsung SGS models (I, II and now the Note II).

My son has a Sony Xperia R800i which he loves. It's 100% stock as it came out of the box a year ago i.e. Android 2.3.3. and it isn't rooted.

The internal storage only has 10mb available and he wants to load more apps/games but I can't seem to find a way to move/run apps from the 16GB external SDHC card.

Is there a kind Xperia guru here who could give me a steer on how to pimp my sons phone so that it's as whizzo as possible and he can load apps from the external card??

I'm happy to flash a new ROM, root etc if you would be kind enough to recommend and link to the best custom ROM for the phone etc.

Cheers,

Ben

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

link2sd
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.buak.Link2SD&hl=en

Requires root access. Used it on my old X8, not a bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Thanks Thebman, that might be a good solution if I can't find a handy enough way to update his phone from 2.3.3 to something closer to 4.0

His phone is full of cr*p so I'm inclined towards doing a full factory wipe and flashing a new ROM while I'm at it.

Does SuperOneClick root work on this phone with Android 2.3.3?

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

You sure 100% it's an R800i? aka Xperia Play, those are android 2.3.4 on all networks to my knowledge..... using one now on vodafone.

If you update it to you shouldn't have to root to move apps as it will have app2sd support then. Simple check for update in settings should sort you there.

Haven't gotten around to rooting / installing cyanogen on mine yet have some reading to do but I would still say root it so you can get rid of the bloatware that came preinsalled on it as the internal memory is quite small even with moving apps to the sd card there are some that you cannot move and of course they are massive , like for example many of the google apps and facebook etc. This is my main reason for wanting to root mine, as even with 45mb free I regularly get errors saying I don't have enough free space when I'm updating apps.

Hi Calex, yes definitely an R800i/Play model.

Going through the update process now which will negate the need to flash a custom ROM but would also like to root to get rid of bloatware like yourself.

Do I need to install apps 2sd app once updated or is that functionality built into the update?

Ben

BenThere wrote: »
    Hi Calex, yes definitely an R800i/Play model.

Going through the update process now which will negate the need to flash a custom ROM but would also like to root to get rid of bloatware like yourself.

Do I need to install apps 2sd app once updated or is that functionality built into the update?

Ben

No you should be able to move them from the manage apps section in settings, but some of the 3rd party apps will let you do a batch move.

• Advertisement

Thanks Calex,

Updated his phone to 2.3.4 using the Sony Update program, installed a clean 16gb SDHC card and installed apps2sd app which allows batch moving of apps to the SDHC card freeing up 95mb from the internal memory so all is nice and fast now and my son can load new games to the SDHC card to his hearts delight.

One thing I have a bit of an issue with is figuring out how to ensure the camera app stores pictures and movies on the external SDHC card. I've looked at the settings in the camera app and to my surprise it doesn't offer the option of storing on the internal or the external. Maybe it automatically stores to the external if there is one??

Ben

BenThere wrote: »
    Thanks Calex,

Updated his phone to 2.3.4 using the Sony Update program, installed a clean 16gb SDHC card and installed apps2sd app which allows batch moving of apps to the SDHC card freeing up 95mb from the internal memory so all is nice and fast now and my son can load new games to the SDHC card to his hearts delight.

One thing I have a bit of an issue with is figuring out how to ensure the camera app stores pictures and movies on the external SDHC card. I've looked at the settings in the camera app and to my surprise it doesn't offer the option of storing on the internal or the external. Maybe it automatically stores to the external if there is one??

Ben

Yes it puts them on the card you will see it if you take a snap the DCIM folder will be created there.

On the subject of the camera , if it's not installed already then you should install this little beauty https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=seb.camera.mod

Allows you to use the top buttons to take a picture instead of having to use the on screen button. The camera needs to be opened using that apps shortcut to work though , it will be called camera mod and have the same icon as the original camera app.

Thanks Calex.

Lads,

The young lad got new headphones for Xmas (Beats Solo HD's by Dr Dre see http://www.beatsbydre.com/headphones/beats-solohd/beats-solohd,default,pd.html) which also have a remote control/mic function for answering incoming calls and FF and REW for music etc but when he plugs them into his phone an error pops up saying "Accessory not supported". I wouldn't be too bothered if it just referred to the remote/mic not being compatible but it doesn't even function as a regular pair of headphones i.e. no sound through them when plugged into the phone and music is playing.

BTW, i have checked the headphones and they work 100% including remote/mic in my own phone which is also an android phone.

Any ideas how I can get these working with the Sony Xperia R800i???

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Simi

Well a quick google would suggest, you can either use an alternative cable, without the remote control function.

OR, someone else suggests.

"Plug the cable the opposite way intended and plug the headset side plug almost in, it will click perferctly with 2-3mm remaining. Works perfectly."

• Advertisement
Advertisement