Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possibility of getting a second dog

• 17-11-2012 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

The parents are thinking of getting another dog before i go to college next year (Fingers crossed) for a bit of added company and labs have a long tradition in the family. They are looking at getting a lab which was my first choice last time round, but dad bought a beagle. 2 and a bit years later we are a happy family with a pretty well behaved beagle, only problems is a small bit of lead work needs polishing and for the first 5 minutes when guests arrive she gets super excited and jumps up in a way, kind of goes to jump up and trys to backtrack half way through.
    My reason for posting is that i have always wanted to get my beagle off lead reliable but it just hasn't worked. For 5 months 2 years ago i went hell for leather trying to get her reliable with 3-4 small sessions a day with a large 30min session, she never took to it. Now with the possibility of another addition coming i wanted to know from others who have experience if we get this new dog will the dog automatically pick up on the current dogs bad habits and if i could use this process in reverse? if i were to train the lab and he took to things better could i use jealously to get the beagle better both on and off lead and general mannerisms like the small jumping? presuming both have a food drive like the beagle. Thanks and sorry for the long post

Advertisement