Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease issue

Options
  • 17-11-2012 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭

Sorry if this has been done before but well here goes
    me and my partner recently broke up and We have agreed it would be best to take her name off the lease she agrees to pay her half of the rent for the foreseeable future but she just wants her name off for legal reasons is there anyway to do this simply or is it a long drawn out process

any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Assuming this is a normal renting situation, you would need the landlord to agree.

That you would be taking on the full amount of the rent, would mean that the landlord would want certain reassurances as to affordability.

Alternatively, and assuming there is enough accommodation, the other half of the lease could be assigned to someone else. This is problematic though, as it is only a partial assignment. Again, the landlord would want certain reassurances, e.g. the same check that were carried out when you took on the lease, references, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Sorry if this has been done before but well here goes
    me and my partner recently broke up and We have agreed it would be best to take her name off the lease she agrees to pay her half of the rent for the foreseeable future but she just wants her name off for legal reasons is there anyway to do this simply or is it a long drawn out process

any help appreciated

If ye have broken off and she wants her name off the lease then she WILL disappear and leave you saddled with the whole amount. She signed it too, sod that leave her on there. If she wants to live there, fine. If not, she can leave and reassign the lease herself if she wants to. The balls in her court.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

How long have you left on the lease? If its only a couple of months then its best just to ride it out as is and re-evaluate when it comes to renewing.

Realistically, if you have to reassign the lease then you are the one who needs to go looking for someone to take over. She might say that she will pay her half and look for someone to take over or whatever, but if she ends up renting somewhere else is she going to a) able to afford two rents, and b) actually willing to pay and not just leave you in the lurch? Approach the landlord and explain the situation, find someone suitable to take over her portion of the lease and get the lease reassigned. If you are going to remain in the property then its in your interest to get it sorted more than it is in hers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

With the landlord's permission, you might be able to have a lodger/licensee (if you have a spare bedroom). This way, you would be responsible for the lodger's behaviour and rent etc. and avoid the hassle of having to have a lease modified or the problem of an assignment.

If I were you, I would not have the ex removed from the current lease - she signed it and wants to break it. As has been said, if she absolutely wants out, she should find the new tenant to take over her part of the lease. It's her problem not yours as she is the one who wants to break the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

odds_on wrote: »
    It's her problem not yours as she is the one who wants to break the lease.

Legally its her problem. Realistically its the OPs problem, if they intend on remaining in the property. She up sticks and disappears and the OP is the one who is left to pay the full rent and be responsible for the lease. In reality, its in their best interests to get the issue sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭daddyorchips

If ye have broken off and she wants her name off the lease then she WILL disappear and leave you saddled with the whole amount. She signed it too, sod that leave her on there. If she wants to live there, fine. If not, she can leave and reassign the lease herself if she wants to. The balls in her court.
    I still respect her immensely it was my fault she broke it off it was not spiteful but thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭daddyorchips

I also do not mind paying the full amount if I have to I wont to remain friends for our young daughter thats all

Advertisement