Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to upgrade, need advice on build.

Options
  • 17-11-2012 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

Recently I've gotten the itch to put together a new rig but I haven't really been paying to tech blogs/sites/magazines for the past while, so I'm not really up to date on the current range of CPUs/GPUs floating around. Hopefully someone can help me out.

1. What is your budget? Around €700/800

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming (BF3, Skyrim, Sim City) and Music Production.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Yes, from my current build I can use:

• 16gb DDR3 PC3-10600 Ram
    • Creative X-Fi Platinum (PCI-e)
    • RME HDSP 9652 (PCI) - I need this installed so whatever motherboard I get must have a PCI slot.
    • LG Bluray-RW
    • 3 x 2tb sata 7200rpm hdds - I don't have too much interest in picking up a SSD boot drive so these should be fine.
    • 2 x GTX460 I can run in SLI - I would prefer to pick up a single graphics card if I can get one that will outperform these two cards within my budget.
    • OCZ 1000W PSU.

So pretty much I'm just looking for a case, motherboard, CPU & graphics card unless someone thinks I should upgrade any of the parts above.

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5a. If yes, what size do you need. n/a

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    Dual screens running at 1920x1080. Don't plan on upgrading.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes

8. How can you pay? Preferably credit card

9. When are you purchasing? I'd like this built before Christmas.

If someone can recommend a case that has a good cable management system and built in noise reduction that would be great.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

What's your current cpu? I think you should go for an ssd, you can always use it for a few games as well and have much faster loading times. Windows also feels much more responsive in general, its not just for boot times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Elysian

spix wrote: »
    What's your current cpu? I think you should go for an ssd, you can always use it for a few games as well and have much faster loading times. Windows also feels much more responsive in general, its not just for boot times.

Currently I'm using an i7-9300 with an MSI X58A-GD65 motherboard. That particular motherboard wasn't my first choice at the time but I couldn't find any other board that provided me with 2 x PCIe slots for my sli graphics card setup while also giving my access to two regular PCI slots, something I needed back then.

The problem with getting an SSD is my Steam folder is nearing 1TB and my two most used music production applications total 475GB and 269GB respectively so putting them on an SSD is unrealistic. Beyond the super fast boot times would I really see enough of a difference in my day to day activities to warrant getting a SSD considering most of the software I use would still be running off my SATA drives?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Elysian wrote: »
    Currently I'm using an i7-9300 with an MSI X58A-GD65 motherboard. That particular motherboard wasn't my first choice at the time but I couldn't find any other board that provided me with 2 x PCIe slots for my sli graphics card setup while also giving my access to two regular PCI slots, something I needed back then.

The problem with getting an SSD is my Steam folder is nearing 1TB and my two most used music production applications total 475GB and 269GB respectively so putting them on an SSD is unrealistic. Beyond the super fast boot times would I really see enough of a difference in my day to day activities to warrant getting a SSD considering most of the software I use would still be running off my SATA drives?

Not sure tbh, but I think most people would consider it a crime not having an ssd in a new pc if funds allow :D

Your current pc is still pretty fast tbh but uses alot of power. Personally what I would do is try upgrade so its not only faster + quieter but also more power efficient but for this I'd look for a new power supply. Since a modern high end pc is only going to use 200-300 watts under 100 percent load, running it on a large capacity power supply will give low efficiency especially in idle... but of course you mightn't give a crap about power consumption :)

With your budget I'd go for these..

https://www.computeruniverse.net/products/90456565/asus-p8z77-v-lx-sockel-1155-atx.asp

https://www.computeruniverse.net/products/90458433/intel-core-i5-3570k-boxed.asp

https://www.computeruniverse.net/products/90462169/gigabyte-geforce-gtx670-oc-2gbd5.asp

https://www.computeruniverse.net/products/90455367/corsair-obsidian-series-550d.asp

and if you were to go for another power supply

https://www.computeruniverse.net/products/90433911/be-quiet-straight-power-e9-580-watt-cm.asp

You could get a cheaper case and get a better motherboard (or slightly better gpu), but that one is fine, and has the enough slots for your 2 sound cards.

Thanks man, those recommendations look great. I esp love that case, its perfect! I have a 500W Corsair PSU lying around from an older build so I could always use that instead of the 1000w.

Just wanted to say thanks again Spix, I'm just after ordering all the parts you recommended :) Think I might try and find a cheap 256gb ssd now :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement