Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classics you heard the original of later...

Options
  • 17-11-2012 3:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

So nowadays in the absense of creativity, so many songs (and films) are being re-released in the belief that the audience is young enough to have missed the original creator.

Two that have sprung to mind for me:

1. Kashmir - Led Zeppelin.
    I knew when I heard Puff Daddy "perform" it on the radio that I'd heard it before. Went to see Godzilla or whatever that poxy film was that used it. Then I heard the original from LZ and i was blown away. Perfection.

2. Dreams - Fleetwood Mac.
    I knew it wasn't original when Andrea Corr sang it, but it was catchy. Then I heard Stevie Nicks sing as it was supposed to be performed and it clicked.

There's my two.

What song did you hear and then discover the original?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Slip Inside This House - 13th Floor Elevators
    I first heard the cover that Primal Scream did on Screamadelica

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I first heard LA Woman on Billy Idols 1990 album Charmed Life. The credits on the album said it was written by Densmore, Krieger, Manzarek and Morrison. I didn't know who they were at the time but later discovered they were The Doors.

I used to like I Don't Want To Talk About It by Rod Stewart. Then I heard the original by Crazy Horse and loved it so much I never wanted to hear Rod Stewarts version again.

There aren't many songs that have been released in the last few years that I haven't heard the original of.

Another one I just thought of:
    Gloria - Them. I first heard the Patti Smith version and still prefer that one.

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I remember hearing this song being played a lot on the radio and music channels years back. I just thought it was a fairly generic late-90s pop song at the time and didn't even know it was a cover.

But then I heard The Sundays' original not so long ago.

I certainly know which one I prefer. The Sundays are a great band.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Here are a few exanples of songs I heard covers of before I heard the original.

Song: Got to Get You Into My Life, Cover Artist: Earth Wind & Fire, Original Artist: The Beatles. Verdict - both just alright, preferred the cover (yes!).

Song: Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, Cover Artist: Elton John, Original Aritst: The Beatles. Verdict - liked both, original is better but only just.

Song: Pinball Wizzard, Cover Artist: Elton John, Original Artist: The Who. Verdict - liked both, but preferred original.

Song: I shot the Sheriff, Cover Artist - Eric Clapton, Original Artist - Bob Marley and the Wailers. Verdict: Liked both and about the same.

Song :Let's Stay Together, Cover Artist - Tina Turner, Original Artist - Al Green. Verdict : both good, but original is better.

Song: Take Me to The River, Cover Aritist - Talking Heads, Original Artist - Al Green. Verdict: both good, but cover is better.

Song: Dizzy, Cover Artist: Viv Reeves & The Wonderstuff, Original Artist - Tommy Roe. Verdict: both okay, preferred cover.

Song: I Fought The Law and The Law Won, Cover Artist: The Clash, Original Artist - The Bobby Fuller Four. Verdict: both good, the original shades it.

Song: Blinded by the Light, Cover Artist: Mannfred Mann's Earth Band, Original Artist: Bruce Springsteen. Verdict: original is good, but cover is very good.

Song: Fire, Cover Artist: The Pointer Sisters, Original Artist: Bruce Springsteen. Verdict: both are okay, with the cover shading it.

Song: Hallelujah, Cover Artist: Jeff Buckley, Original Artist - Leonard Cohen. Verdict: Of those two versions, I liked the Buckley version (it grew on me) and I wasn't that pushed on the original (sorry!). However, I heard various other covers of this song and at least two of them I heard before the original - versions by Alexandria Burke and Rufus Wainwright. I also heard a version by John Cale (possibly after hearing Cohen's version). I thought the Alexandria version was just okay,the Cale version is not bad, but I loved the Wainwright version - by far my favourite version of the song.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭cml387

UB40 decided to cover Tony Tribe's song Red Red Wine.

They never coppped that Tony Tribe had covered a Neil Diamond song (nor did we until we read the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

+1 on the Jeff Buckley-Leonard Cohen confusion, I heard so many dire covers of Hallelujah, but then I heard Cohen's (which is indescribably perfect) and I never wanted to hear another version again.

I also lost count of how many times I heard the UB40 version of Can't Help Falling in Love on the radio, and I assumed it was the original.

But then what did I find out, that the song was originally recorded not by UB40, but by the king and Presley's delivery far outshines the later, as well as the A Teens version.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

One of my favourite counting crows songs is "friend of the devil" - i only recently found out it's a cover of a greatful dead song, still haven't gotten round to checking out the original yet though so can't compare.
    I always prefered aslans version of "Angie" to the stones original, and practically every song by Dylan sounds better as a cover!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭cml387

I thought "Tainted Love" was an original until years later I read that Marc Almond was preceded by Gloria Jones.

But I think the Soft Cell version is boss, and the lyrics seem more suitable to Marc Almond;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

cml387 wrote: »
    I thought "Tainted Love" was an original until years later I read that Marc Almond was preceded by Gloria Jones.

But I think the Soft Cell version is boss, and the lyrics seem more suitable to Marc Almond;)[/QUOTE

I too first heard the Soft Cell version and I would prefer their version to the original.

Another example is Mr. Tambourine Man - heard The Byrds' version before I heard Bob Dylan's version - I suspect that would apply to many. Again, I prefer the cover version.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Lets Stick Together by Wilbert Harrison, having not heard Harrisons version the one I always remember is Roxy Musics or Bryan Ferrys version which is brilliant, but I also like Canned Heats version of this track.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

The Hives' version of Find Another Girl, heard it years before Jerry Butler's version... I prefer the Hives' one, the little bits of electronics they put in are great, and Howlin' Pelle could sing anything and I'd love it.

Just Like Heaven. First saw the video of Dinosaur Jr.'s version years ago on TV and still prefer it to the original. I could never really get into the Cure anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Nirvana "Man who sold the world" by David Bowie.
    I still prefer Kurts version.

Johnny Cash "Hurt" by Nine Inch Nails. I like both.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Leather Nun doing Abbas Gimme, Gimme, Gimme.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

Higher Ground - Stevie Wonder (1973 original) Red Hot Chili Peppers (1989)

• Advertisement
Advertisement