Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I switch to ps3!!!

Options
  • 17-11-2012 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Hi
    I own a 120g xbox I'm thinking of switching too ps3.i know that you dont need a laptop for ps3 online witch is good.xbox is 50 euro a year but ps3 are known for hackers.how much woul I get for the xbox
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Why not have both?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭rvpalldway

$$$$$$

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

rvpalldway wrote: »
    $$$$$$
    Wait then and save money for it, if you sell the 360 then want it back it'll cost you in the long run.

Keep the 360 and sell it privately later if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

there are numerous exclusive ps3 titles which are great to play. You could pick up a second hand ps3 for a decent price... definitely well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jc4517

Other than that one thing with anonymous I don't think playstation would be known for hackers. Merely they were targeted once because Sony got lazy with our credit card details.. But seriously, ps3: great platform! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

As someone who owns both and plays primarily on 360, if I was advising someone to get just one console, it'd be the PS3. Playstation + is a the biggest system seller either console has and amounts to a free videogame collection when you put it up against the almost essential Xbox Live sub.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I had the Xbox....i sold it, the Blu-Ray drive really sells it imo. Just for wathcing movies etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

I got a PS3 because of:

Blu-Ray
    Free multiplayer
    YLOD is less common then RROD
    Playstation Plus

Games:
    Uncharted
    Journey, Flower
    God of War series
    Heavy Rain
    LBP
    Gran Turismo 5
    inFamous
    Ratchet & Clank series
    Mod Nation Racers
    The Last of Us
    BEYOND

The XBox has cross game chat and
    Forza
    Halo
    Gears

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

sin0city wrote: »
    YLOD is less common then RROD

I fix both and YLOD is much more common then RROD now.

GarIT wrote: »
    I fix both and YLOD is much more common then RROD now.

You probably see that because a lot of the original XBoxes have broken already. At one point Microsoft had to give a 3 year warranty purely because of RROD. Most PS3s with YLOD are likely the original fat models which have now been on the go for 5 or 6 years. I think the rates were something like 5% versus 30%+. Of course leaving them on the carpet or without adequate ventilation doesn't help either.

The newer models of both have new chips that run cooler making the problem less likely in both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

XBox Live isn't €50 per year, it's less than £30 for 13 months if you look around.

As someone who owns both consoles I would strongly recommend keeping both. While the PS3 definitely has the better retail exclusives, there's a huge number of cracking XBLA games which are exclusive to that platform on top of the smaller number of retail ones.

As Varik said, save a little bit of wait for some pre/post Christmas deals to pick the PS3 up for cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

You probably see that because a lot of the original XBoxes have broken already. At one point Microsoft had to give a 3 year warranty purely because of RROD. Most PS3s with YLOD are likely the original fat models which have now been on the go for 5 or 6 years. I think the rates were something like 5% versus 30%+. Of course leaving them on the carpet or without adequate ventilation doesn't help either.

The newer models of both have new chips that run cooler making the problem less likely in both.

I've seen some slim PS3s with the YLOD, I've never seen a slim Xbox with RROD but that could be because they are aren't much more than a year old.

PS3 repairs to xbox repairs are about 3 to 1. Most of the PS3s we get are for laser replacement and for the xboxes its the drive being stuck closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

As somebody who owns both I'd have to echo that the other only reason I keep the box is down to Gears and Halo.... Wasn't for them it'd be long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Also own both - loved the games on both of them and really preferred the xbox controller.
    However over the last while I just find myself playing the PS3 more and more - so much so that I just cancelled my automatic renew of Gold. Was thinking about it and the last game I played on the 360 was Gears3.

Yes there are some duds on the PS3 - Skyrim anyone - no DLC there and to play I needed to use the autosave workaround. But even with those pain points I am using it more and more. That is when I can get my OH off it - she loves Netflix (which yes is available on both) but she finds the PS3 easier to navigate and control.

Holding onto the 360 costs you little other than the trade in - and to be fair you won't get a huge discount for that. (OK if they offer you a surprising amount go for it) but what happens in say 6 months when you go "I wish I could play Gears / Fable etc..."

Finally - the PS Plus membership had some great free games for a while there - been a bit since the last give away but here is a sample of what I got from them
    Deus Ex
    Tombraider
    Borderlanders
    Oddworld - Strangers wrath
    Darksiders - just loved this especially when it was for free. Enjoyed it so much bough D2 - very surprised at how different a game that was but like some of the continuity (background story).

Just Gears and Halo? Jesus, can we please stop ignoring the litany of awesome games on XBLA? It's ****ing baffling as to why one would do it. :(

Probably because PSN has lots of great games too.

Probably because PSN has lots of great games too.
    The list of quality XBLA exclusives is far larger than that on the PSN and regardless, I'd be equally baffled if it was the other way around and people were ignoring those that did exist on the latter platform when deciding whether or not to ditch one console for the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I can't stand the PlayStation controller it's just tiny and not comfortable to hold. Weird thing is I didn't find it so awkward till I got it. It's one thing that shivers me every time I pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I can't stand the PlayStation controller it's just tiny and not comfortable to hold. Weird thing is I didn't find it so awkward till I got it. It's one thing that shivers me every time I pick it up.

Been a PS gamer since the first one. My claws are practically shaped around the Dual Shock so I'm used to it.

The original XBox controller felt like holding a feckin' Bop It toy at times but the 360 controller is sublime alright [except for the atrocious D-pad]

I felt the same way until a poster here recommended these guys for the grips and these for the analog sticks. It makes the entire experience far more enjoyable for someone not used to the size of the controller. :)

• Advertisement

gizmo wrote: »
    The list of quality XBLA exclusives is far larger than that on the PSN and regardless, I'd be equally baffled if it was the other way around and people were ignoring those that did exist on the latter platform when deciding whether or not to ditch one console for the other.

Yes, but as OP is looking to either keep one or the other I don't think the offerings on PSN or XBLA are going to swing it in either consoles favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Yes, but as OP is looking to either keep one or the other I don't think the offerings on PSN or XBLA are going to swing it in either consoles favour.

I think gizmo is more against the idea of selling the 360 to get a PS3, which I agree with. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he is advocating saving up for a PS3 and keep the 360 also rather than trading in one for the other.

Otacon wrote: »
    I think gizmo is more against the idea of selling the 360 to get a PS3, which I agree with. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he is advocating saving up for a PS3 and keep the 360 also rather than trading in one for the other.
    Bingo :)

I'd imagine he'd get around €80 max for his 360 Elite if he was to trade it in so as I said above, I really don't think it's worth it in the long run when there's still a ton of games which are (unfortunately) exclusive to one console.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Captain Beyond

I prefer the PS3 because of it's builtin blu-ray, user replaceable hard drive, and free playstation network.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭iFergal

Both are great consoles, I prefer PS3, but it really depends on what friends you have playing online, because lets face it, you can adjust to either if you give it time. Xbox's online membership fee is annoying though, so PS3 could be better in the long run if money is an issue. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Games:
    Uncharted
    Journey, Flower
    God of War series
    Heavy Rain
    LBP
    Gran Turismo 5
    inFamous
    Ratchet & Clank series
    Mod Nation Racers
    The Last of Us
    BEYOND

The XBox has cross game chat and
    Forza
    Halo
    Gears

For a time Xbox also had or still has.

Mass Effect 1
    Dead Rising 1
    Dead Space 1
    Ace Combat 6
    Kameo
    Left for Dead 1 and 2
    CoD 2
    Crackdown 1 and 2
    Saints Row 1
    Minecraft
    Command and Conquer 3 and Kane's Wrath
    Fable 2 and 3

That's alot more than just Halo, Gears and Forza.

If you are going to list all the PS3 exclusives you may all well do the same for the 360. Plus Killzone for the PS3.

For a time Xbox also had or still has.

Mass Effect 1
    Dead Rising 1
    Dead Space 1
    Ace Combat 6
    Kameo
    Left for Dead 1 and 2
    CoD 2
    Crackdown 1 and 2
    Saints Row 1
    Minecraft
    Command and Conquer 3 and Kane's Wrath
    Fable 2 and 3

That's alot more than just Halo, Gears and Forza.

If you are going to list all the PS3 exclusives you may all well do the same for the 360. Plus Killzone for the PS3.

Fair point and as others have suggested, best to keep both consoles if you can. If you had to pick one though, I don't think any of those are going to make you decide on an XBox but that's just what I think!

Like you said, Mass Effect 1 and Dead rising are on PS3 now.
    Minecraft and Fable are on PC and a lot of the others are really old. Saints Row 1 came out 8 years ago and 2 and 3 are on PS3...I got 2 free with PS Plus. Speaking of which, plus is a far greater reason than the exclusives on either to choose PS3 if you have to pick one console . I just joined it in September and so far the games I've got "free":

Saints Row 2, Batman: Arkham City, Mortal Kombat, Bioshock 2, Limbo, Crysis 2, inFamous 2, Guardians of Middle Earth, Vanquish, Ratchet and Clank: All for One, Bulletstorm, Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition, Starhawk, Red Dead, Motorstorm Apocolypse.

I've likely missed some, loads of PSN games too and I got all of that for less than a yearly XBox live subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

Personally I think the xbox is alot better than the PS3, I think the PS3 controller is terrible in comparison to the xbox controller that feels right in my hands, you might have to pay for Xbox Live but if cost isn't a deciding factor for you then its definitely better than PSN

The PS3 does have a good collection of exclusive titles though, I'd keep the xbox and get the PS3 anyway and use it for its exclusive games and blu rays of course if you watch blu rays

Advertisement