Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Film Festival for Kilkenny

Options
  • 17-11-2012 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭

In a further addition to KK's impressive festival line up, a film festival starts next week. Well done to all involved in bringing something new to the city and promoting it further. Fair play. This is the kind of positivity and proaction Ireland needs
    rather than incessant whinging about the government should be doing x, y, z

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/theticket/2012/1116/1224326662587.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Fairplay to them whoever organised.
    Any Film recommendations OP?

I think Kilkenny should do something for the new year.
    big fireworks display and a big concert on the parade would be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

It's been organised by Richard Cook and his team who also organise Cat Laughs and Kilkenomics. His immense media contacts are also the reason why a brand new festival is getting way more national coverage than established Kilkenny festivals and events that have more presence within the city.

But that being said, he's made an immense contribution to the city over the years and a film festival is another great addition to the festival line up we have. The organisers have also done a great job of publicising it and booking a really strong programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Threadhead wrote: »
    It's been organised by Richard Cook and his team who also organise Cat Laughs and Kilkenomics. His immense media contacts are also the reason why a brand new festival is getting way more national coverage than established Kilkenny festivals and events that have more presence within the city.

But that being said, he's made an immense contribution to the city over the years and a film festival is another great addition to the festival line up we have. The organisers have also done a great job of publicising it and booking a really strong programme.

I agree absolutely fair play to him. It's too easy sit around and blame the govt and Failte Ireland or whoever and expect them to promote the city.
    That's one of the things I love about Kilkenny. Private enterprise and people willing to get up off their ar$s and do something. It's what sets it apart really from other towns/cities. Galway is a bit the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

mfitzy wrote: »
    I agree absolutely fair play to him. It's too easy sit around and blame the govt and Failte Ireland or whoever and expect them to promote the city.
    That's one of the things I love about Kilkenny. Private enterprise and people willing to get up off their ar$s and do something. It's what sets it apart really from other towns/cities. Galway is a bit the same.

Kilkenny has the big advantage of not having Hector working there though. Keep it lit etc etc etc etc.

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Fairplay to them whoever organised.
    Any Film recommendations OP?

I think Kilkenny should do something for the new year.
    big fireworks display and a big concert on the parade would be nice

That's a good idea. Nowhere in Ireland does the New Year in any big way, maybe Kilkenny should try and carve out another nice for itself as the New Year party town of Ireland.

• Advertisement

That's a great idea. Kilkenny is notoriously crap for New Years. Then again, a lot of places are. The main concern would likely be anti social behaviour but it would great to see something different that would set things apart and give the city a boost at the same time. To think there was a time where Langtons charged €25 in on New Years Eve.

Maybe it can be the next thing Richard Cook organises!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Problem with organising fireworks on New Years is the unpredictability of the weather. Definitely some sort of gathering on the parade would be nice. I remember spending new year's in Paris, there we just went onto the Champs Élysées with our bubbly and beer, it's a big thing over there.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Problem with organising fireworks on New Years is the unpredictability of the weather. Definitely some sort of gathering on the parade would be nice.

If we let the weather stop us then there would literally be no point in leaving the house.
    Regarding the anti social aspect....surely to god it would not be too hard to police somewhere the size of the parade.
    Barrier across where the college gardens are and barrier across the parade itself. no alcohol allowed in.
    Get a decent band that everyone of all ages knows or would enjoy....fricking Imelda may, the saw doctors or someone like that...nothing to hectic.
    have the stage at the bottom of the parade facing the castle.
    have a stand put up at the main castle entrance facing the stage.
    This should be wheelchair accessible and for older people to sit down and relax
    stick the fireworks in the rose garden at the front of the castle.
    That should mean if you were not on the parade you would still be able to see the fireworks from johns bridge, the quay down by the library......could you open up where the tax office is so people could see from there. set too?

It could easily be down but you would have to invest heavily on the fireworks show. set the standard from the off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

no one has mentioned that there is a film festival on in a town with only one cinema?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

nuttz wrote: »
    no one has mentioned that there is a film festival on in a town with only one cinema?

You can show a film in more places than just a cinema!

• Advertisement

nuttz wrote: »

Not for too much longer hopefully.

The ironic thing is that none of the films for the film festival are showing in the one cinema Kilkenny has.

Set, Cleeres, Watergate and a Cinemobile are the only venues.

Says everything about the cinema really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

The ironic thing is that none of the films for the film festival are showing in the one cinema Kilkenny has.

I went to the Banff adventure film night in Langtons, perfect venue.

How very civic minded of them NOT to get involved. No surprise whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

Hardly a surprise. The Cinema often ignores good films that are not considered "family films" or bolckbusters

It's pretty much non stop talking animals movies all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

I went to see 'Lapland Odessy' in The Set last night.

Brilliant film, very funny!

It's on again a couple of times over the weekend I think. Perfect venue too.

anyone else got to any movies? any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

Bowlardo wrote: »
    anyone else got to any movies? any recommendations?

Saw Headhunters yesterday which was brilliant.

Also caught a Danish film by Susan Bier - forget the name, but I was very impressed. Great performances.

Advertisement