Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit problem

Options
  • 17-11-2012 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Hi,
    I want to move into an apartment with a friend. She needs to move in a week and I said to my Landlord that I want to move out next week. He told me he's going to keep my full e475 deposit and charge for utilities over the month when I'm gone. I signed a six-month lease over a year ago that was never renewed.

I've never missed a rent day etc. but he's really holding a gun to my head. I would expect he might keep maybe half the deposit at most - because I have given short notice, but he want a full months notice, which would mean a full months rent e475, so that would be my deposit gone anyhow. Is there anyway I can move next week and get some of my deposit back, because I'm not sure financially if I make the move without it.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Nope. You are on a part 4 tenancy, and after a year (between 1 and 2 years) the landlord is legally entitled to ask for 42 days (6 weeks) notice. Unless they agree to an early termination, there is nothing that you can do about it Im afraid.

For what its worth, expecting to be allowed to leave a lease in a week without penalty is completely unrealistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭OneIdea

Find someone to move in to your apartment?

Just throwing that out there...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You have the option of assigning the lease alright, but given the time frame we are talking about its probably not going to be a practical solution (by the time it is sorted the notice period would be pretty much over anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

Think I'll pay for the month save up, and get my deposit back in 2/3 weeks. I'll be forfeiting rent but I don't mind , plus the LL will have 1/2 weeks rent while the place is free for viewing - win-win kinda.

Advertisement