Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recipes calls for curry paste, could I just use Korma Paste?

Options
  • 17-11-2012 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

It's for a curry lentil soup:P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I really wouldn't if I could avoid it. Have you got curry powder in the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

No I don't. but I could buy curry paste or powder, but I can't seem to find a Curry paste, just different names like tikka curry, or katsu, etc. Is there any such thing as just Curry paste, or is the recipes asking to use any curry based paste?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

You can make your own curry paste quite easily if you have the ingredients to hand. You simply need to whizz up lots of spices, garlic, puree and some oil in a blender. Alternatively just whizz up curry powder with garlic, chillis, puree and oil. If you don't have the time or inclination then you can buy a curry paste by all means but I'd go for a madras or a jalfrezi paste if you can as korma is just yuk in my opinion and won't give you the nice heat required. Where's Curry Addict when you need him!! :)

EDIT Found this for you http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/curry-recipes/easy-homemade-curry-pastes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

@Merkin

Thanks for the advice:) I realised I have so little money I need to save it all, so Korma here I go. Hmm, what's Jamie Oliver's recipes like?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

Korma paste is what I use, it's mild and aromatic and absolutely fine to use. Hope you enjoyed the soup!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

If it calls for curry paste, just use curry powder.

Just add it at the start with your other aromatics (garlic, chilli, etc) and you will be grand.

If you use tika/korma/whatever paste instead it will be a totally different flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Curry paste is so easy to make. I never buy it in jars.

1 green chilli, sliced
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    1 tsp oil
    2 tbsps tomatoe puree
    1 tsp brown mustard seeds
    1 tsp coriander seeds
    2tsp cumin seeds
    1 tsp ground turmeric
    1/2 tsp salt

1) In a dry pan, toast the seeds for about three minutes
    2) Remove the seeds and add to a blender with everything else. Whizz up into a paste and ta-da, home made curry paste which you can store in the fridge for about a week. (I've never seen it last that long!)

I get my seeds from the Ethnic shop in Harold's Cross and they're so much cheaper than buying them in supermarkets.

Advertisement