Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food dehydrator or freeze dryer

Options
  • 17-11-2012 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

Does somebody knows who has a food dehydrator or even better a freeze dryer i could use for a small experiment?

Kind regards

Oliver

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Pretty easy to make a dehydrator with a cardboard box a few shelves and a lightbulb fitting and a 40w lightbulb.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Whats the experiment? there are probably loads of ways to tackle it.

I saw a kids cooking program at the weekend showing them how to make a heated chamber to make biltong. Maybe CJhaughey saw the same one as it was a 40W bulb too. Found it strange showing kids how to make that.

rubadub wrote: »
    Whats the experiment? there are probably loads of ways to tackle it.

I saw a kids cooking program at the weekend showing them how to make a heated chamber to make biltong. Maybe CJhaughey saw the same one as it was a 40W bulb too. Found it strange showing kids how to make that.
    I didn't see that! What was that on? I would have liked to see that.
    My kids love making venison jerky and like eating it even more!
    I think its great showing kids how to make that kind of thing, kids have open minds for the most part and its not really any different from making fairy cakes.
    BTW the biggest incandescent bulb you can get is now 40w AFAIK.
    The rest are those CFL ones that don't produce enough heat.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I didn't see that! What was that on?
    BBC, checking online it is called gastronuts. Its on pretty early on a sunday with all the other cooking programs. They had a raw food chef on too this week, just all seems advanced/adult as the kids are pretty young, one week he had them eating testicles along with other odd foods.
    BTW the biggest incandescent bulb you can get is now 40w AFAIK.
    You might get stronger in a €2 shop, who do not seem to pay as much attention to laws like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭boxercreations

Pretty easy to make a dehydrator with a cardboard box a few shelves and a lightbulb fitting and a 40w lightbulb.
    Would I be able to dehydrate cheese like this? I was trying to find cheese powder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

BBC, checking online it is called gastronuts. Its on pretty early on a sunday with all the other cooking programs. They had a raw food chef on too this week, just all seems advanced/adult as the kids are pretty young, one week he had them eating testicles along with other odd foods.

You might get stronger in a €2 shop, who do not seem to pay as much attention to laws like that.

Aldi have them up to 100W.

Shops can continue to sell them until stocks run out. The ban only affects manufacturers since the end of August. I'd imagine the factories were in overdrive for months before it kicked in.

Would I be able to dehydrate cheese like this? I was trying to find cheese powder.
    Don't think so, it would probably go rancid before it dried, cheese has a lot of fat and doesn't dry out like a product with high water content.

You can "cold dehydrate" stuff in the fridge. Ever see a pack of mince meat dry out near where the opening is? or unwrapped cheese for that matter.

I expect if you finely grated cheese and left it ruffled up loose on a large dinner plate in the fridge that it would dry out, this will maximise air contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

You can also buy cheese powder in supermarkets, although it might be expensive for large quantities.

Roma do a powdered cheese for pasta, Aldi or Lidl also do a large tub of powdered cheese but it's not as nice as the Roma stuff.

You can "cold dehydrate" stuff in the fridge. Ever see a pack of mince meat dry out near where the opening is? or unwrapped cheese for that matter.

I expect if you finely grated cheese and left it ruffled up loose on a large dinner plate in the fridge that it would dry out, this will maximise air contact.

thanks - I'll try that.

• Advertisement

hardCopy wrote: »
    You can also buy cheese powder in supermarkets, although it might be expensive for large quantities.

Roma do a powdered cheese for pasta, Aldi or Lidl also do a large tub of powdered cheese but it's not as nice as the Roma stuff.
    Thanks - I wanted cheddar not parmesan. It's to season popcorn.

Advertisement