Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Fibre Power Broadband 50Mb €39 per month

• 17-11-2012 4:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭

I think our broadband is with UPC. It's the Fibre Power Broadband 50Mb €39 per month I think. This included Download 50Mb / Upload 5Mb. Has anyone ever exceeded this? It's a shared apt and two of us recently joined NetFlix. I'm not the account holder but wonder can I check out usage from time to time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

mood wrote: »
    I think our broadband is with UPC. It's the Fibre Power Broadband 50Mb €39 per month I think. This included Download 50Mb / Upload 5Mb. Has anyone ever exceeded this? It's a shared apt and two of us recently joined NetFlix. I'm not the account holder but wonder can I check out usage from time to time?

50Mb/s is plenty for two people to stream from netflix in HD.

I am on the 120Mb/s package myself and regularly exceed this to about 125Mb/s

Unfortunatly you can't check usage with UPC. Not even the account holder can do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Sorry I meant there are three of us. The one person watches one or two movies a day which is a lot I think and the other may download a lot of music that is why I am concerned about out next bill.

Sorry I meant there are three of us. The one person watches one or two movies a day which is a lot I think and the other may download a lot of music that is why I am concerned about out next bill.

I wouldn't worry about it.

I think you might be a bit confused about the caps. 50Mb (megabit) is your download speed not your download allowance.

On the 50mb package I think you have a 500GB (gigabyte) per month allowance.

Going by your description of usage patterns you should be fine. You would have to download a few thousand albums a month to go over the cap. As for your housemate who watches netflix, 2 movies per day would only use about 3GB of transfer allowance which is nothing.

I wouldn't worry about it OP. You should be fine.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Plus if you go over the cap, UPC normally send you a warning letter, they don't charge for going over the cap.

If you consistently (for a few months) go over the cap, then they will move you to a more expensive package that costs €80 per month.

bk wrote: »
    Plus if you go over the cap, UPC normally send you a warning letter, they don't charge for going over the cap.

If you consistently (for a few months) go over the cap, then they will move you to a more expensive package that costs €80 per month.

Are you 100% sure about this? Have you received a letter yourself? I overheard people talking about getting really high broadband bill on the bus the other day. It wasn't with UPC but I'm still worried!

I don't have out account number etc as it's not in my name but I might ring UPC tomorrow and get some hypothetical advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

50mb is your download speed, 5mb is your upload speed

Nothing to do with limits (incidentally the 'limit' is 500GB, which realistically you won't hit)

A lot of mobile broadband providers (with 10gb limits etc) can charge €20 per gb you go over, this can result in some pretty huge bills.

Here is the package we are on as far as I know.

I'll ring tomorrow at lunch time to put my mind at rest.

http://www.upc.ie/broadband/fifty/

Mood,

You have a 500GB per month allowance. Let me quantify that for you.

Each standard netflix hour is approx 450MB. That means you can watch 1137 hours before hitting the limit. There isnt that many hours in a month.

A standard music CD would be about 150MB (higher for lossless quality). That is 3413 music albums.

Realistically with your usage patterns you are NEVER going to exceed the limit and even if you do UPC do not charge for overages but just send out letters asking you to take it easy.

And remember that is each month you can do that!

Don't worry about it :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Are you 100% sure about this? Have you received a letter yourself? I overheard people talking about getting really high broadband bill on the bus the other day. It wasn't with UPC but I'm still worried!
    They are most likely talking about mobile broadband that gets very expensive once you exceed the download limits; UPC does not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

They have charged people extra at times... Usually they don't care but once in a while they get their knickers in a knot and they start mass-mailing people and putting excessive downloaders on a 80 euro/month 'Broadband Extreme' plan.

But they usually just do it once in a while in one big go, maybe some new manager trying to make his targets for the month or something.

But normally they don't care, but you could get caught at the wrong time, even if it was a once-off and it just so happens that they're sending out letters that month you could get caught out. Sometimes they seem to move immediately to the 80 euro package,, sometimes you get a warning first.

See here for proof and here, the most recent one as short as 9 months ago. And there have been many more like it.

However 500GB is a LOT. You really have to push it. I never get even close to that (probably not even 250GB, which used to be the limit until about 2 years ago). But I've seen the threads rolling in here when they did the letters.

It doesn't help that they still offer no way to check your usage and when asked whether it concerned a calendar month or a rolling 31-day period, people have been getting mixed responses.

Edit: Sorry I overlooked bk's post who is saying the same, I just saw the most recent ones that mention they don't charge extra.

• Advertisement
Advertisement