Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent tax relief

Options
  • 17-11-2012 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭

I'm kind of having a moral dilemma with myself, would like some advice.

I rented a 2 bedroom apartment for myself in Galway for two years back in 2008 - 2009. Being utterly naive at renting then, the landlord was renting the place to me without registering. As such, there was an agreement that I wouldn't apply for tax relief on the rental money. Leases were signed and all was fine. €875 per month. I got on quite well with the landlord; rent paid via standing order, deposit handed back to me in cash when the landlord brought me out for pints in Dublin(!)

The washing machine broke down once, landlord replaced it. The apartment was damp but it didn't worry me too much.

I've just realized that up until the end of this year, I can very easily claim online for rental tax relief retrospectively for the time I was there. My quandry is do I?

I know the forum will say, quite rightly, that he was dodging tax and to inform revenue. But something doesn't sit right with me doing this three years later especially as, at the time, we agreed to the whole affair. My question really is, how much is it worth to me? I cant really find information online, and the only information is about tax credits.

Assuming I was there for two years, at €875 per month, how much money would I stand to get back if I claimed? What information do I need to claim? The old lease is long in the bin, as is the landlords PPS number; all I have is a very crawly letter of reference from him to give to my next landlord.

Any takers?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Maximum was €400 per year

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

But something doesn't sit right with me doing this three years later...
    Something shouldn't have sat right with you three years ago. People like you are what's wrong with this country.

Advertisement