Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice needed

• 17-11-2012 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

For various reasons, I've decided to go with a classic or near classic diesel for my daily - about 300 miles / week.
    The requirements are diesel - mechanical (i.e no ecu, common rail, etc)

I have two ideas in the head, something like a Mk2 Golf or Jetta, I had a Jetta years ago and they are good and there are still aftermarket spares available as far as I know.

The second is something along this line;
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4071066

I like the idea of the 300D engine, I have done the digging and it has a bulletproof rep, however I was wondering how a conversion like that will work when I drop it down to my local mechanic for general servicing / wear and tear, parts etc - I dont want something outside the norm if it is going to be a hassle for everyday driving - or am I overthinking it?
    The vintage tax has obvious benefits - but its not the deciding factor -one costly repair and the tax benefits go out the window.

Any thoughts on this?
    Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

For various reasons, I've decided to go with a classic or near classic diesel for my daily - about 300 miles / week.

I have two ideas in the head, something like a Mk2 Golf or Jetta, I had a Jetta years ago and they are good and there are still aftermarket spares available as far as I know.

I like the idea of the 300D engine, I have done the digging and it has a bulletproof rep, however I was wondering how a conversion like that will work when I drop it down to my local mechanic for general servicing / wear and tear, parts etc - I dont want something outside the norm if it is going to be a hassle for everyday driving - or am I overthinking it?
    The vintage tax has obvious benefits - but its not the deciding factor -one costly repair and the tax benefits go out the window.

Any thoughts on this?
    Thanks...

If road tax in not a deciding factor and you want a cheap reliable diesel for commuting I would recommend a 1996 - 2000 Audi A4 1.9tdi. Road tax over €600 per year but it returns 50mpg is very comfortable , has modern safety features such as ABS and airbag. You can pick one up for €1000 ish euro. I would chose it over a golf or jetta from 80's 90's anyday because of the BHP and ABS which is a must for me if you're doing 15000 miles per year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I'd rather saw my ears off than drive a dayshul Jetta or golf equivalent 300 miles a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭w124man

Any thoughts on this?
    Thanks...

I would look for a good Jetta diesel and run away from the Merc. Two problems though, the Jetta Diesel is a rare beast these days in unmolested form and are loved by the young VW lads who 'work' on them. The Merc is a classic so therefore on classic tax you are limited to the amount of miles you can do. Also its a conversion and unless you really know the W116 Merc inside out you wont know what you are buying. There are two E300 Mercs on DD at the moment which might suit. I would buy an E220 myself as they are economical and bulletproof! Oh I already did!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

w124man wrote: »
    I would look for a good Jetta diesel and run away from the Merc. Two problems though, the Jetta Diesel is a rare beast these days in unmolested form and are loved by the young VW lads who 'work' on them. The Merc is a classic so therefore on classic tax you are limited to the amount of miles you can do. Also its a conversion and unless you really know the W116 Merc inside out you wont know what you are buying. There are two E300 Mercs on DD at the moment which might suit. I would buy an E220 myself as they are economical and bulletproof! Oh I already did!!

Does classic tax limit your mileage?

I know some Classic insurance policies operate a limited mileage deal. But tax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I know some Classic insurance policies operate a limited mileage deal. But tax?

Just insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

I know some Classic insurance policies operate a limited mileage deal.
    Just disconnect the speedo :P

'Authority' is dishonest - we can be dishonest (In 21st century Ireland , 2 wrongs DO make a right !!! :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Just insurance.

I was running a Rover P6 as everyday during the summer months & was pretty sure there was no issue with mileage & classic tax.

Just thought I'd check though....

I'd rather saw my ears off than drive a dayshul Jetta or golf equivalent 300 miles a week.

I drove one for over 1000 miles a week for almost 4 years ..... It sealed my love of diesels and VW

..... and screwed my back up!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Snake_Doctor

I'll take it under advisement :D
    On the flip side, I'd rather do the same then pay 1800 plus vat for a new ECU and reprogram - the way I look at it - if I'm going to put in that much money to a car I want to be able to point to a new engine/gearbox, or actually a whole car for that money.
    Thanks for all the replies, think its going to be along the VW line,
    just missed this

http://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=24781

i know it was petrol, but could easily be converted.

They are out there;)

http://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=24781

i know it was petrol, but could easily be converted.

They are out there;)

Converting a car like that would be nothing short of sacrilege ......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

Converting a car like that would be nothing short of sacrilege ......

Sacrilege why, not as if they are rare in the. Of scheme of things.

In that condition they are very very hard to find. I would love another one like that ...

In that condition they are very very hard to find. I would love another one like that ...

Actually, yes I would have to agree with that, I have been keeping an eye out for a good while now, and it is about a year since I saw something similar in the uk as well. I spotted this one on that website on Friday and pm'd him for a number to ring, but it was also up on carandclassic with the number. D'oh! by the time he got back to me it was gone, he said the buyer didnt even test drive it just arrived with the cash and drove off!
    I have to admit, I would have to think twice before converting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

I drive a mk2 straight diesel 500 miles a week, have done for 7 years now. Very light on juice and they are increasing in value. What you should buy is this

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4142751

Yes, - Agreed
    I tried to contact the owner last night but the phone rang out, will try again today. As if to rubber stamp my decision - I borrowed a 07 Polo went out this morn and wouldnt start - ECU light up! Never rains but it pours..:D

Advertisement