Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

how often should it be serviced?

Options
  • 17-11-2012 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭

So how often should a 99 Toyota yaris with just over 100,100 miles be serviced?

Or how do you work how often should it be serviced?

Thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

A rough guide would be every 10k miles or every year, whichever is sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

I would do it every 5000 miles or every year if it was mine as it has a timing chain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    I would do it every 5000 miles or every year if it was mine as it has a timing chain.

Just curious, but why would, it make a difference weather it has a timing chain or timing belt?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Just curious, but why would, it make a difference weather it has a timing chain or timing belt?

I suppose timing chain is lubricated by engine oil while belt isn't.

Anyway - I wouldn't think there is a need to change oil as often at 5000miles / 8000km.

15,000km should suffice for most cars, unless they are used in some extreme conditions (f.e. only very short runs of f.e. 1km multiple times a day, or driving in very dusty environment).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

The chain is lubricated by the engine oil so it is important to keep the oil in good condition to keep the chin in good condition. :)

• Advertisement

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    The chain is lubricated by the engine oil so it is important to keep the oil in good condition to keep the chin in good condition. :)

Oh I see. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,664 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

So how often should a 99 Toyota yaris with just over 100,100 miles be serviced?

Or how do you work how often should it be serviced?

Thanks in advance.
    Owner's book contains all the infos you're looking for. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

joujoujou wrote: »

OP possibly doesn't have the owners manual :)

Lost it. :pac::p

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

9000 miles using good oil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

Unregistered Users

Lost it. :pac::p
    If you're only looking for maintenance intervals, find some1 with 1st gen. yaris, borrow manual for a while and make a copy of 2 pages from it. :p

Unregistered Users

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

i would say every 6-7k miles. shes pushing on now a bit too so better to keep her as healthy as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭osheen

I think the toyota uk website have link to full service schedule. or try toyota owners uk for full schedule

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

13 years old and only 100k - I would say once a year is enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 mulmot

And maybe a high mileage oil, (thicker grade like 15w40 castrol gtx) as toyotas are fond of oil, by using a thicker grade shouldnt burn as quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I'd be the 6k miles or every year man. And only castrol oil.

The berlingo is 15k kms on the book but I couldn't leave it that long. I do it at 10k and it comes out fairly dirty.

I think half the issues with modern vehicles is service intervals are getting too long for less and less oil

Eg avensis every 6k miles with about 6 litres of oil

Berlingo every 9400 miles for 3.7 litres.

When tolerances are getting tighter, pressures higher. I donno

mulmot wrote: »
    And maybe a high mileage oil, (thicker grade like 15w40 castrol gtx) as toyotas are fond of oil, by using a thicker grade shouldnt burn as quickly.

But might not lubricate as well

Unregistered Users

corkgsxr wrote: »
    [...] And only castrol oil.

[...]

WF2i7.jpg

So tell me why toyota's recommendation for castrol oils has been withdrawn couple of years ago?

TGMO is made by ExxonMobil. :P

• Advertisement

WF2i7.jpg

So tell me why toyota's recommendation for castrol oils has been withdrawn couple of years ago?

TGMO is made by ExxonMobil. :P

You get me wrong, I only use castrol. I find it a very good oil. Impressed me in the bike

Compared to motul, it felt far more eager to rev, gearchanges were much slicker. It was a very noticeable difference

Unregistered Users

No problem. :) If you're happy, it's O.K.

But... ;)

If you take a look into the engine (well, not really much to see) when open up the oil cap on top - if metal parts you're able to see are brown(ish) or yellow(ish) or brighter. The more the brown, the more the damage.

Friend of mine is a mechanic. This is what he saw inside the engine with castrol used for approx. 110k miles:

229144.jpg

Another engine, mileage unknown, but I'd say much more than the above one:

229145.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

But... ;)

If you take a look into the engine (well, not really much to see) when open up the oil cap on top - if metal parts you're able to see are brown(ish) or yellow(ish) or brighter. The more the brown, the more the damage.

Friend of mine is a mechanic. This is what he saw inside the engine with castrol used for approx. 110k miles:

229144.jpg

229145.jpg

Ya he may have used castrol, but how long between service intervals was he doing? Looks like he never changed the oil at all. I would never go 10000 miles without changing oil regardless of the brand.

I'm very happy with castrol, I do think it's a brilliant oil. And if it does good at 16k revs on a bike I'm sure its good in a car too.

On the second pict I saw a m3 with oil like that but it wasn't changed in 60K miles.

It's like reliability in cars no car is going to be reliable if used like it wasn't designed and not serviced, everything in context

And castrol for the bike was recommended to me by track racers because it held up better in tough conditions

Ya he may have used castrol, but how long between service intervals was he doing? Looks like he never changed the oil at all. I would never go 10000 miles without changing oil regardless of the brand.

That's actually Bubblewraps ma's Yaris!

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Stheno wrote: »
    That's actually Bubblewraps ma's Yaris!

And what was the service intervals like?

And what was the service intervals like?

Sorry it's a joke, Bubblewrap talks about how his mother has never had her car serviced etc.

He did change the oil recently

Unregistered Users

I'm very happy with castrol, I do think it's a brilliant oil. And if it does good at 16k revs on a bike I'm sure its good in a car too.
    As I said - if you're happy, I'm happy. :)
    On the second pict I saw a m3 with oil like that but it wasn't changed in 60K miles. [...]
    I don't know that, forgot to ask. Everything is possible. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

But... ;)

229144.jpg

229145.jpg

IMO the condition of neither of those engines has anything to do with the brand of oil. The dark colour in the Alfa engine in the first pic is caused by infrequent oil changes and/or the wrong oil grade causing the oil to oveheat.

The massive sludge build up on the BMW engine(second pic) is a sign of oil contamination(possible leaking head gasket or a poorly sealed oil cap) combined with the same problems as above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

IMO the condition of neither of those engines has anything to do with the brand of oil. The dark colour in the Alfa engine in the first pic is caused by infrequent oil changes and/or the wrong oil grade causing the oil to oveheat.

The massive sludge build up on the BMW engine(second pic) is a sign of oil contamination(possible leaking head gasket or a poorly sealed oil cap) combined with the same problems as above.

How about this one? :D
    Image0775.jpg

Advertisement