Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Design Ideas

Options
  • 17-11-2012 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hello all,

Wondering if anyone could suggest some (cheap and cheerful) ideas. Have just bought a house thats sitting on one acre so massive lawn space, the house is completely one one side and to the front of the site, so we are left with a massive side and back garden. I would love to do something to fill it in a little so it doesnt look so plain. Budget is very tight, however we have lots of free labour :) who have diggers and the likes for ploughing up the garden and moving hedges etc. At the mo the site is covered by hedging on all three sides, we would like to keep these as it will keep the dog from harassing the neighbours. But if anybody has any nice suggestions we would greatly appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

psychhead wrote: »
    Hello all,

Wondering if anyone could suggest some (cheap and cheerful) ideas. Have just bought a house thats sitting on one acre so massive lawn space, the house is completely one one side and to the front of the site, so we are left with a massive side and back garden. I would love to do something to fill it in a little so it doesnt look so plain. Budget is very tight, however we have lots of free labour :) who have diggers and the likes for ploughing up the garden and moving hedges etc. At the mo the site is covered by hedging on all three sides, we would like to keep these as it will keep the dog from harassing the neighbours. But if anybody has any nice suggestions we would greatly appreciate .

On a tight budget i would recommend not to try and do everything now. Phase things in over the years and do it right. Firstly id plant a decent amount of nice trees, not bog standards, learn whats out there as there is a great variety. In summer rather than mow a one acre lawn, just mow a two metre strip around perimeter and maybe a curved path through middle. Then later consider patio area, pond, pergolas ,planting areas over the next few years. But spend well on each area and in 5 years youll have a garden that we will all envy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

That's some blank canvas, the mind could run riot on it. I'll just suggest one broad idea - think fruit! Trees, bushes and plants. Are you interested in growing your own fruit & veg? You could set up some raised beds and a polytunnel. I'm so envious of your space. But as mentioned, take your time and do plenty of standing and staring :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 psychhead

Great ideas guys thanks! Would definitely be interested in some raised herb beds and some fruit trees, don't think I could quite manage a polytunnel just yet :) as regards to planting trees, where would be nice areas to plant them? Obviously they would take years to grow so want to make sure they would be in a nice space and not just stuck down the back garden. Is creating a pond a big task cost wise? Love the idea of one!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I would divide the acre up into 'rooms' with hedging first. I'd have a forestry area, maybe along the side of prevailing winds to provide more shelter, and then a orchard and vegetable garden and flower garden/lawn round the house. Any bit left would become a wilderness area, maybe mown once a year, Another idea if money is tight, is to fence off an area round the house and maybe leave the rest for silage/hay for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

psychhead wrote: »
    Great ideas guys thanks! Would definitely be interested in some raised herb beds and some fruit trees, don't think I could quite manage a polytunnel just yet :) as regards to planting trees, where would be nice areas to plant them? Obviously they would take years to grow so want to make sure they would be in a nice space and not just stuck down the back garden. Is creating a pond a big task cost wise? Love the idea of one!! :)
    Cost of pond really depends on size. More water=bigger pump.larger liner. Etc. They are great but need a bit of care .
    On the trees you need to think natural. So groups of the same varieties. A few stand alone specimen\feature trees. A Mix of conifers ,say pines, larch or cypress.
    Think its intetest.for some trees it can be some or many of the following,flowers,autumn colour, its shape, its foilage, its leaf colour ,bark,berries/fruit.
    So a mix of many of these would look great. Also plant a few every few years as size difference is alse appealing.
    Some more unusual trees that a decent supplier could get
    Gingko bilabo
    Catalpa bignonoides
    Fagus asplenifolia
    Liriodendron tulipifera
    Liquidamber styricaflua
    Im sure others can add.
    Where to plant?
    Check setting sun and dont block it out. As it drops out of the sky get the very last drop of it. Its valuable:-).
    Also think of your ability to maintain what ever you put in. Gardens this size can suck your wallet and time dry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement