Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metal Events Festival

• 17-11-2012 6:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭

Would it be feasable for D.M.E. to put on a mini festival next year?
    If they had it around the time of Bloodstock they could get some quality bands, and would surely hit the 10,000 attendance mark.
    What sort of outdoor venue could be used?
    Just an idea to throw out to ya all

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Did Day of Darkness pull in 10,000 people? For those numbers I reckon they'd have to get a few high profile bands performing that covered a wide range of Metal Sub Genres. It's certainly possible. But what are the logistics for a small promotions company such as DME to consider and to fund? It might be too much of a gamble in this climate for such a small company. Would certainly be cool to see a proper Metal festival though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Get Helloween over to headline lads, make it happen! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

scudzilla wrote: »
    Would it be feasable for D.M.E. to put on a mini festival next year?
    If they had it around the time of Bloodstock they could get some quality bands, and would surely hit the 10,000 attendance mark.
    What sort of outdoor venue could be used?
    Just an idea to throw out to ya all

Ye must be joking??? A festival to attract 10,000 metal fans in this country? No chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Ye must be joking??? A festival to attract 10,000 metal fans in this country? No chance.

Unfortunately this is true not a hope the figure suggested (10,000) would make it a bigger festival than Bloodstock by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Get Helloween over to headline lads, make it happen! :p

Double Headliner from Germany, please. I want Eisregen :D

And Amon Amarth, I always missed them so far, because I was in work :confused:

But seriously, such a festival would be just amazing, I would go for sure :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Ok, maybe 10,000 (same as bloodstock) would be a push, but surely we could get 5/6,000

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭jay92

I think its do-able..not 10k but even half that and we could have a very good european festival on our hands. They should try it people never try things anymore !

2 day festvial

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

We could definitely get about 5/6000, it's a great idea, I know h was planning on bringing anthrax back around the same time as bloodstock so maybe if someone brought this idea to his attention then he might pursue it (:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

You'd struggle to get 5,000 people to go a metal festival here in Ireland even you copied and pasted the entire Bloodstock line up. Unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Does anyone have attendance figures for the last couple of Day of Darkness events? It didn't seem as though there were more than 2K people there, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if there were many more than 1K. It'd be great to have a larg-ish festival here in Ireland, but I seriously doubt that that's going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭Wood

Under 1K, and they have never broken even.

Amon amarth and Helloween would command between 10 and 15K each, before flights, crew flights, dinner, shipping and transport of equipment. Not to mention building a stage from the ground up which would come to around 7 grand to bring it up to spec. So taking that into effect we're already up to around €40000.

That's the headliners sorted, now what about the other 20 hours of music?Say you get it cheap, and only spend €60000, we're up to 100K+, before work permits are paid for by the promoter, and before advertising is done.

It's not feasible. It's been tried, but people can't take a chance with that sort of money. H runs DME mostly on his own and has a 9-5 job too, so it's not all champagne and strippers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Don't know, but if an event like this was hosted as a charity event, would that bring down the costs for the headliners?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭Wood

Nope, a gig is a gig. They're taking that date away from families etc. or from a paying gig elsewhere they won't do it. Even then would you risk 80 grand on a gig nobody would go to? Or would you go to the UK for the same price (as ticket costs would have to be higher than the UK due to the cheaper running costs across the water), get cheaper food and drink, and have a better line up due to the logistics of hosting in the UK.

MCD had infinite money in 2002 and could still only put Ozzfest on for a single day. If it was financially viable, it would have been done to death already

We could definitely get about 5/6000, it's a great idea, I know h was planning on bringing anthrax back around the same time as bloodstock so maybe if someone brought this idea to his attention then he might pursue it (:

Anthrax tweeted they were hoping to come back on their own headline tour in May or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

Anthrax tweeted they were hoping to come back on their own headline tour in May or something.
    Nah thats just Scott Ian coming over to do one of his spoken word shows, he told me last week :)

Ahh that's not as much fun.

Advertisement