Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Octane .IE refugee's sign in here please.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Can we not have an Enthusiast motoring section? For Build Threads/Garage Builds etc...

Saves wading through the fog lights/diesel threads. :)

You need to start sub-forum requests for each topic you think relevant. I'll support them anyhow! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Sad to see it go,but i've a feeling the canadians are involved.It ruins my sig now as it linked to a picture i had hosted over there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭kdevitt

tossy wrote: »
    Sad to see it go,but i've a feeling the canadians are involved.It ruins my sig now as it linked to a picture i had hosted over there :D

There's no chance the forums would be offline for any amount of time if it'd been bought out.

I'd imagine the main users will regroup and continue on - shame to lose some of the threads over there, some of which must have taken hours for the authors to write.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

kdevitt wrote: »
    There's no chance the forums would be offline for any amount of time if it'd been bought out.

I'm not so sure, one forum I frequent was offline for days before the sale was announced. AG making a balls of the server transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

I was Joe L on the site, sad to see yet other car forum gone. The car scene in Ireland is dying on its arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Never liked Octtane at all, had an account but never really posted that often. Didnt like the atmosphere in the forums.
    You need to take a break from the net if you could feel an atmosphere from a computer screen displaying a forum!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,787 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sad to see it go. Terrible feeling of a void for all the regular users no doubt :( Reminds me of when motornet closed down a good few years ago :(
    You need to take a break from the net if you could feel an atmosphere from a computer screen displaying a forum!!!

You need to join us in the 21st century if you could not ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

And here was me thinking everything on the Internet lasted forever!

I hardly ever posted there, just hadn't the same feel as boards has, but that's a personal thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

I was Joe L on the site, sad to see yet other car forum gone. The car scene in Ireland is dying on its arse.

I'd disagree with you on that. Any decent show has plenty of cars. Its the "Max Power" et al type of car scene that I'd say is dying, thank feck. They did nothing for the public's preception of a car fan/enthusiast imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,797 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

unkel wrote: »
    You need to join us in the 21st century if you could not ;)

....indeed. Dunno wtf I did before t'internet and Motors.........don't remember having loads of time time for ............"stuff".......
    And here was me thinking everything on the Internet lasted forever!

...funny you should mention that: I was trying to find a part number for a helmet I have, yesterday, and remembered putting up a page on good 'ol the eircom.homepage url many many moons ago.

So, Google's your friend: I typed in my name, helmet name and 'eircom homepage' and.............tada: it appeared. Page written on 14th August 2002. It may not be 'forever' but fupp me I was surprised to see it's still out there in the ether.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

Absolutely gutted over it. Really found a 'home' over there. Like minded enthusiasts with lives outside of motoring, who werent into throwing Micra's around a car park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Absolutely gutted over it. Really found a 'home' over there. Like minded enthusiasts with lives outside of motoring, who werent into throwing Micra's around a car park.

To be fair, this forum sounds just the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

CianRyan wrote: »
    To be fair, this forum sounds just the same.

Not quite. While there isn't too many people throwing Micra's around carparks on here, there's a lot of people on here, that don't necessarily fit the description "petrolhead" or "enthusiast".

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Marlow wrote: »
    Not quite. While there isn't too many people throwing Micra's around carparks on here, there's a lot of people on here, that don't necessarily fit the description "petrolhead" or "enthusiast".

/M

There are also plenty that do, just because there are some people that don't necessarily want talk about a triple webber carb' upgrade on a Z30 Datsun doesn't mean no one wants to.

It's not exactly the same but there are like minded people and everyone's free to talk about what they like. :)

CianRyan wrote: »
    There are also plenty that do, just because there are some people that don't necessarily want talk about a triple webber carb' upgrade on a Z30 Datsun doesn't mean no one wants to.

It's not exactly the same but there are like minded people and everyone's free to talk about what they like. :)

Not, when you get all kinds of stuff in the thread, that throws the discussion completely off, like people that can't see the point with what you're doing.

The forum here serves it's purpose, Octane served a different purpose without the overhead, that you'd get if you stick both of them together.

Also, the motoring groups on boards are a few. So it's split between general motors, modified, 4x4 etc. On Octane there was a much more diverse split between parts of motoring, including motorsport etc.

/M

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    There was more than there fair share of them on Octane in all fairness. Every second post was some person who thought there were the business. Its one of the reason I disliked the place. There were some great people on there but the hostile attitude turned me off posting regularly.

I didn't find it hostile at all, but it took a while to get a grasp of the place. Also, I would only have been active in a subset of the forum. If you didn't meet the people at the likes of the C&C, trackdays or the likes, then you definatly wouldn't connect with the place easily.

That also set the parameters for what types of people actually were around the place. It certainly didn't suit everyone. For those, who fit the profile, the lack of the place leaves a big void.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Ah hello there. Change is inevitable and nobody likes it, cup of tea?

'cptr

Ah hello there. Change is inevitable and nobody likes it, cup of tea?

'cptr

Is that, who I think that is ? Cup o' joes for me.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

I hardly ever posted there, just hadn't the same feel as boards has, but that's a personal thing!

I'm surprised at that comment, your posts always caused great interest over there.
    I didn't find it hostile at all, but it took a while to get a grasp of the place... If you didn't meet the people at the likes of the C&C, trackdays or the likes, then you definatly wouldn't connect with the place easily.

I certainly didn't find it hostile either. On the contrary people could be very helpful over there. There was not much time for inane posts but everyone was given a fair chance to prove themselves. I would not agree with Marlow that it was necessary to meet people in the flesh to fit in, I did go to a few events but I was by no means a regular.

Wheelnut wrote: »
    There was not much time for inane posts

We could do with a bit of that here TBH. ;)

• Advertisement

I would not agree with Marlow that it was necessary to meet people in the flesh to fit in, I did go to a few events but I was by no means a regular.

I didn't imply it was necessary. I was just saying, it might take longer to some to get a grasp the place, if they don't. Those are only my own observations and they obviously don't apply to everybody.

The social aspect of Octane was a major part of the forum though.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Had an account and posted a few hundred times but never really felt comfortable or "welcome" tbh. There is (was) always a very cliquey atmosphere.

The place got a bit depressing over the last year or so too. It used to have a lot of focus on project builds, different varieties of rare cars (cheap to expensive) and track days but more recently it just became almost entirely doom and gloom with the Irish motor Industry collapsing with no signs of recovering, people losing their jobs, ridiculous increases in the cost of motoring and anyone who was a regular user there would have been aware of the extremely strict moderating that went on over the last year. Your man EOB stopped posting a long time ago too, always got the impression that he began to hate what Octane had become.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Your man EOB stopped posting a long time ago too, always got the impression that he began to hate what Octane had become.

I have to say I thought the best thing that ever happened to the forum was when he stopped posting :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

I didn't imply it was necessary...

Sorry for getting the emphasis wrong. BTW have you a thread anywhere about the Volvo?

Sorry for getting the emphasis wrong. BTW have you a thread anywhere about the Volvo?

No offense taken. As for the Ovlov, I have resurrected that thread alright :) Here: http://fortyacresofyellow.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=133

/M

I'm surprised at that comment, your posts always caused great interest over there.

Being honest im getting a bit tired of the entire car scene in Ireland.

Im just not into flashy fast cars, probably why i didnt really fit the Octane mould.

But each to their own and all that!

Im just not into flashy fast cars, probably why i didnt really fit the Octane mould.

Erhmm .. Plenty of non-flashy and old cars on there, too :D I loved the diversity.

/M

Erhmm .. Plenty of non-flashy and old cars on there, too :D I loved the diversity.

/M

Yes, but the general feel of it to my mind was a sort of Retro cars magazine style.
    Im an originality nut, not too much call for that sorta thing in this country. Everyone seems to be modifying everything!

Yes, but the general feel of it to my mind was a sort of Retro cars magazine style.
    Im an originality nut, not too much call for that sorta thing in this country. Everyone seems to be modifying everything!

Nope. The Audi stays like it is. Would be a shame not to. I love a bit of everything :) So completely modified. Modified using OEM parts within the brand and original.

/M

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

/M

i'm even there with me x-trail, aka sh1tbox20:D!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dave45dave

mr.2 wrote: »
    A once great website with some great contributers.

However, it was dominated by a few big egos and plenty of bitching and moaning. You couldn't ask a question on there without at least one sarcastic smartarse replying.

It turned into a buddys club for a few rich lads and it was time for it to go.

ITCC

The sign in thread has a fairly unwelcoming tone to it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

I took a page backup minutes before the site went down.
    I opened the page today.
    I could see the entire site as it was before it went down. All the forums. All the pictures. Even my own username with my last post on it.
    Felt so weird to see the "site" today, that was a nice place to be.

Anyone took some backup?

I can post the page if you want...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

There were a few big personalities on Octane who took every opportunity to be dicks to people who didn't seem to be a part of the greater clique.

Some of said big personalities now seem to be involved in running 40AoY.

I do not see this ending well.

Also, any idea why like 20% of the posts so far seem to be in private forums over there? Visible posts are under 2000, total posts are 2600.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Tragedy wrote: »
    Also, any idea why like 20% of the posts so far seem to be in private forums over there? Visible posts are under 2000, total posts are 2600.

That's the way on almost every forum tbh. Boards probably has into the hundreds of private forums at this stage. Even Mod & Admin fora can be classed as private forums.

That's the way on almost every forum tbh. Boards probably has into the hundreds of private forums at this stage. Even Mod & Admin fora can be classed as private forums.

Sure, but it's three days old and suggests that there might already a clique within a clique.

Also, boards used to have almost no private forums and personally, I think the growth of them has been to the detriment to the rest of the site. But that's a different argument ;)

I'd say that figure consists of 2 things.

One is the forum for the moderators, which obviously would be private. And with the crap that's been going on, they'd have a lot to discuss. (My assumption, as I'm not part of the moderator team, but would be naturally with a new forum).

The other part of that figure is probably spam. On most forums, also on boards, posts don't get deleted. They become "hidden", but might still be counted in the total figure of posts.

Why is it, that people always are looking for a conspiracy theory ??

/M

I'd say that figure consists of 2 things.

One is the forum for the moderators, which obviously would be private. And with the crap that's been going on, they'd have a lot to discuss. (My assumption, as I'm not part of the moderator team, but would be naturally with a new forum).

The other part of that figure is probably spam. On most forums, also on boards, posts don't get deleted. They become "hidden", but might still be counted in the total figure of posts.

Why is it, that people always are looking for a conspiracy theory ??

/M
    It isn't a conspiracy theory to wonder why there's so many private posts after 3 days Marlow. 40AoY isn't entitled to the community of octane, people are allowed ask questions and comment. Neither of your explanations bear up (most 40 mods weren't octane mods, so there's nothing about the demise of octane that they'd be talking about that normal members couldn't see - and searching any of the mods posting history shows them with a lot of invisible posts, so it ain't spam).

No point derailing the thread, was just curious is all! I'll probably just move to PH full time now tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,549 ✭✭✭✭Esel

bmstuff wrote: »
    I took a page backup minutes before the site went down.
    I opened the page today.
    I could see the entire site as it was before it went down. All the forums. All the pictures. Even my own username with my last post on it.
    Felt so weird to see the "site" today, that was a nice place to be.

Anyone took some backup?

I can post the page if you want...
    If you want to travel back in time...

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

It isn't a conspiracy theory to wonder why there's so many private posts after 3 days Marlow. 40AoY isn't entitled to the community of octane, people are allowed ask questions and comment. Neither of your explanations bear up (most 40 mods weren't octane mods, so there's nothing about the demise of octane that they'd be talking about that normal members couldn't see - and searching any of the mods posting history shows them with a lot of invisible posts, so it ain't spam).

No point derailing the thread, was just curious is all! I'll probably just move to PH full time now tbh.

I'm only making suggestions to what it could be. Also, the mods listed in "The Team" on 40AoY were also the mods on Octane as far as I know.

As per entitlement, what are you rambling about ? Nobody is entitled to anything nor would expect as such. 40AoY was set up in a hurry to keep the community going and I for one certainly appreciate that. Every user that subscribed over there, has done so by their own will and hasn't been forced to do so. The amount that have shows the support.

And I wasn't implying either, that the discussions were about Octanes demise. I certainly can't imply what the moderators are discussing, as I don't know fur sure. I only can make a good guess and that is for example discussions about policies and how to run things. And those can take quite a bit especially during start of a forum.

Spam turned up on the forum in the first hours, so there definatly is enough of that.

You see, what you want to see. The choice is yours.

/M

RoverJames wrote: »
    The sign in thread has a fairly unwelcoming tone to it :(

+1

However most / all the people complaining were Octane members. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Day 5 now and I still don't give a sh1t that's its gone.

Sure, but it's three days old and suggests that there might already a clique within a clique.

Also, boards used to have almost no private forums and personally, I think the growth of them has been to the detriment to the rest of the site. But that's a different argument ;)

Private forums enable cliques to keep to themselves, for and against them :)

As per entitlement, what are you rambling about ? Nobody is entitled to anything nor would expect as such. 40AoY was set up in a hurry to keep the community going and I for one certainly appreciate that. Every user that subscribed over there, has done so by their own will and hasn't been forced to do so. The amount that have shows the support.
    Everything I've seen so far suggests that the people running it feel entitled to be the successors to octane, and has been thusly displayed with a ****ty attitude in a few posts over there already.

Octane was always in danger of being taken over by a certain clique (those who considered themselves 'hardcore' petrolheads, whatever that means) and 40 seems to have enabled them to accomplish just that.

Everything I've seen so far suggests that the people running it feel entitled to be the successors to octane, and has been thusly displayed with a ****ty attitude in a few posts over there already.

Octane was always in danger of being taken over by a certain clique (those who considered themselves 'hardcore' petrolheads, whatever that means) and 40 seems to have enabled them to accomplish just that.

Might I suggest, that you watch less conspiracy movies. :D

What's your interest on the matter ? Because clearly you have one.

Also, what else would you have done in the situation there is ?

/M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Might I suggest, that you watch less conspiracy movies. :D

What's your interest on the matter ? Because clearly you have one.

Also, what else would you have done in the situation there is ?

/M

I think the point he's making is that the guys on 40 have just tried to copy Octane and take it's traffic, there's no thought gone into a fresh idea when they were presented with the opportunity. I also get the impression that non 'Octaners' wouldn't be made welcome on 40. They needed to just start again imo

I always felt Octane put themselves up as elitist when in fact that wasn't really the case. Just look at the attitude towards trackdays, there were comments that the standard of driving at the last Mondello winter day was better because there were more people from Octane, come on I mean jst because you are a regular contributor to a message board doesn't improve your driving

Gary ITR wrote: »
    I think the point he's making is that the guys on 40 have just tried to copy Octane and take it's traffic, there's no thought gone into a fresh idea when they were presented with the opportunity. I also get the impression that non 'Octaners' wouldn't be made welcome on 40. They needed to just start again imo

To be fair most members first heard of it closing about 2pm Saturday with the site due to close 7hrs later. It was a fairly good achievement to get a new forum up and running in that time frame (to include content / sections, etc) and they didn't really have a chance to do anything different with it. They can adapt it as the weeks go on of course - whether that will be done or not only time will tell.

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    To be fair most members first heard of it closing about 2pm Saturday with the site due to close 7hrs later. It was a fairly good achievement to get a new forum up and running in that time frame (to include content / sections, etc) and they didn't really have a chance to do anything different with it. They can adapt it as the weeks go on of course - whether that will be done or not only time will tell.
    I hope I'm wrong but I see it being moulded into another Octane, sure even the tagline states 'A little yellow lifeboat for the good ship Octane.ie'

Well, that's exactly the point of the conspiracy theory. 40AoY was set up, so that community on Octane not just disappeared. And there's links to it and to Pistonheads on octane.ie. It has nothing to with hi-jacking the traffic, the site or anything the likes. Somebody, that thinks that way, would have other motives in my view.
    I always felt Octane put themselves up as elitist when in fact that wasn't really the case.

The forum bashing really should end. That opinion also has been expressed on 40AoY, if you go through the threads.
    Just look at the attitude towards trackdays, there were comments that the standard of driving at the last Mondello winter day was better because there were more people from Octane, come on I mean jst because you are a regular contributor to a message board doesn't improve your driving

Well, it's down to what you read between the lines or want to read. I don't agree with your interpretation at all. But that's not here nor there.
    I hope I'm wrong but I see it being moulded into another Octane, sure even the tagline states 'A little yellow lifeboat for the good ship Octane.ie'

The problem right there is that you seem to have a problem with Octane and hence would have liked it to die. That's at least what I read in your post. The community on Octane didn't want it to die. The result being 40AoY.

Those are just my views.

/M

The problem right there is that you seem to have a problem with Octane and hence would have liked it to die. That's at least what I read in your post. The community on Octane didn't want it to die. The result being 40AoY.

Those are just my views.

/M

Octane was a very small community in the true sense of the word, when I started to use Octane I had the same username here and there and I also was mod of motors here, I was quickly told by PM that I wouldn't be welcome there

My posts have nothing to do with forum bashing or anything like it, I just say it how I see it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement