Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Octane .IE refugee's sign in here please.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Gary ITR wrote: »
    Octane was a very small community in the true sense of the word, when I started to use Octane I had the same username here and there and I also was mod of motors here, I was quickly told by PM that I wouldn't be welcome there

I remember that sort of attitude alright, but things/attitude change over time and if you have followed some of the threads over on 40AoY, you can see those changes. No point in hanging in the past.

I'm on a bunch of forums, motoring or otherwise and have the same username with maybe a slight variation, when it's not available, everywhere. I've never had the issues. I'm not a mod anywhere and that may been the difference at the time. I'm just saying, that attitude has died off a good while ago. I regularly have posted content referencing to boards activities (like ATWR) or the likes and haven't ever got hassled over it.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Octane was a very small community in the true sense of the word, when I started to use Octane I had the same username here and there and I also was mod of motors here, I was quickly told by PM that I wouldn't be welcome there

Why was that? Were boards people not welcome there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I always felt Octane put themselves up as elitist when in fact that wasn't really the case. Just look at the attitude towards trackdays, there were comments that the standard of driving at the last Mondello winter day was better because there were more people from Octane, come on I mean jst because you are a regular contributor to a message board doesn't improve your driving

I think the point was that the manners on track was better. Being a member of a forum won't improve your driving but it can improve your attitude.

I was a regular reader and an occasional contributor, same as here really. I only ever spoke to one or 2 other members in real life but was never made feel like I was an outsider just because I wasn't part of some clique.

I did come across the odd boards bashing, which I thought was a bit juvenile, but in general I didn't find the ego/asshole quotient to be any higher than most other forums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Well anyhow, moving on maybe?

Under the motoring umbrella we've already got the following forums and sub-forums:

Motors - i.e. general
    Classics
    Motorbikes
    Motorsport
    4X4
    Modified
    Motorhomes & Campers
    Learning To Drive
    DIY Maintenance; Repair & Detailing

What about starting a forum request for some more? E.g:

German Cars
    French Cars
    Japanese Cars
    Projects
    EV's

I would like to see a separate meet up / trackday / event forum but this might not work for the powers that be. I can understand why too. Maybe this could be done as a private forum, e.g. you need a minimum number of posts before you can request access and any misbehavior at events would result in access being revoked?

There was a recent forum request for ev, there are loads of marque specific forums already outside of here.

RoverJames wrote: »
    There was a recent forum request for ev, there are loads of marque specific forums already outside of here.

The point with Octane was, that it wasn't marquee specific. More generic.

I'm on a few marquee specific forums and there's just not the same vibe there. They are often very single sided.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

There's been plenty of meets organised on this forum, attendance has been poor at best.

Marlow wrote: »
    The point with Octane was, that it wasn't marquee specific. More generic.

I'm on a few marquee specific forums and there's just not the same vibe there. They are often very single sided.

/M

Who mentioned tents? :pac:

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Who mentioned tents? :pac:

They make a fine garage, you know. Unless you're in Ireland during winter time :)

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I like sporty Japanese cars but there is very little on here about such things, so I tend to jump between motors, modified and Classic to try and find a topic of interest, I do like a general approch where we can talk about all cars and feel when you separate into smaller sub forums you lose the buzz and activity of a general motors forum(the problem Midnight club has now). It would be nice to have a motoring newbie sub section here that a lot of the repetitive questions could be directed towards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Remmy wrote: »
    Why was that? Were boards people not welcome there?

Boards, in particular the motors section was the butt of many jokes on Octane. Just goes further to prove the cliquey bullsh1t that went on there really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

The forum bashing really should end. That opinion also has been expressed on 40AoY, if you go through the threads.

The problem right there is that you seem to have a problem with Octane and hence would have liked it to die. That's at least what I read in your post. The community on Octane didn't want it to die. The result being 40AoY.

I'd see it as constructive criticism rather than forum bashing tbh Marlow, particularly now there's a chance for change. What was Octane now has a chance to change, and breath some new life into the place. The general consensus seems to be that there needs to be a new attitude among members.

Also I don't see what your point is that it's been mentioned on 40AoY? This is a different forum, a different discussion. I see no reason for anyone to take heed of what's been posted on there. If anything, the fact that the same opinion has been expressed in two separate places shows there was an issue with Octane.

Gary may have had a problem with Octane, but what I'm reading from it is Octane (or rather it's "community") created that issue to start with. He's probably not the only one that got pushed away either, considering the amount of comments here saying the attitude in general seemed unwelcoming to new posters.

While you feel that the attitude has changed, many people won't look back a second time if they're put out or made unwelcome initially. Why would they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Boards, in particular the motors section was the butt of many jokes on Octane. Just goes further to prove the cliquey bullsh1t that went on there really.

Yeah but so what. You'll always get that. Boards is a far more generic forum, all sorts gets asked and talked about in here. Octane was a club not a wide open forum like this is. It ultimately and ironically led (in part) to its demise.

I come in here for a bullsh!t, for a general natter, to give the odd bit of advice and sometimes to receive it. I do not come in here to hang out with my mates, I get together with my friends. My online acquaintances are just that, acquaintences. I wont be crying for weeks if they dissapear. If people want to be forum snobs then me thinks its "they" who have the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

I plead guilty to starting two such threads on Octane and I would do the same again!

The first thread concerned a driver who was trying to trace a screeching noise in his car. He got many sensible suggestions about checking his brakes, suspension etc. It turned out to be his wipers screeching on dry glass. The second was a driver who complained that the battery failed a few days after the NCT and that the NCT testers should have told him/her that the battery was going to fail. The latter thread should have got some special award!

People on Octane had a genuine interest in cars and that included the realisation that a car can be a lethal weapon. I think they would all have been concerned to make sure that their cars were fit to be used and would expect others to do the same. My point in linking those posts was to highlight the sort of incompetence that is out there on the roads. Those two threads got a few laughs but they got far more criticism and exasperation over there.

Wheelnut wrote: »
    I plead guilty to starting two such threads on Octane and I would do the same again!..........

I wouldn't count the threads you describe as what folks are on about. I never signed up there but used to have a poke around the odd time.

I remember reading a thread about the motors section of boards.ie and there was references (less than complimentary) to a poster on here who changed their car, the car he bought etc, I had no doubt who they were referring to, it was obvious to anyone who would have been a reader of both forums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Just goes further to prove the cliquey bullsh1t that went on there really.
    To be fair that's a criticism that could be aimed at boards motors section especially at some regulars.

TBH though every forum is the same.............in fact whenever you have a group of people they will split into groups so it's a very mute point.

Never reallly read the general chat areas of Octane, just the mark specific sub forums and found them fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Mac 3

Hi All,

(Former) Octane member here. I enjoyed the craic, I never posted much, except to ask questions or share photos. Ive been a member here as long as I've been on octane. Sorry to see it gone..

ba_barabus wrote: »
    To be fair that's a criticism that could be aimed at boards motors section especially at some regulars........

It's not overly visible here though :)
    It's only when they all come out of the woodwork together to back up one of their cliquey clown members that folks with more than a few brain cells can see what's going on :)

It's not overly visible here though :)
    It's only when they all come out of the woodwork together to back up one of their cliquey clown members that folks with more than a few brain cells can see what's going on :)
    All smoke and mirrors as they say ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Must be tough with the world against ye lads.

Are the Motors Knights of Templar all around us so?

Grow up, boards is heavily moderated so much so that that kind of bull is well stamped out.

Another one of those conspiracy theory affected people. Jaysus, is it epidemic ?

/M

MugMugs wrote: »

Grow up, boards is heavily moderated so much so that that kind of bull is well stamped out.

Before deleted threads get deleted they can be read ;)
    You can't really comment on stuff that was deleted before you saw it, can you?

I have no need to grow up, you might need to refrain from presuming "that kind of bull is well stamped out" though :)

Another one of those conspiracy theory affected people. Jaysus, is it epidemic ?

/M

You really should tune in and stop presuming people are affected by conspiracy theories. In fairness, considering you reckon Octane was cured before it's demised you probably are genuinely oblivious to what people are referring to :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Might I suggest, that you watch less conspiracy movies. :D

What's your interest on the matter ? Because clearly you have one.

Also, what else would you have done in the situation there is ?

/M

Might I suggest you stop telling anyone who has a different opinion to you that they're conspiracy nutjobs?

It's juvenile and just makes you look like a bit of a fool who can't actually write a coherent, logical rejoinder.

"I disagree with you, you love conspiracy theories"
    "I still disagree with you, instead of responding properly, I'm going to again suggest you're conspiracy nutjob"
    etc

I post very little on Motors and not much more on Octane or PH, despite reading the latter two daily. My interest is I like car communities, one of them is gone, and it's been replaced with an inferior substitute of an already flawed community.

"What's your interest on the matter ? Because clearly you have one."
    I could ask you the same to be honest.

Also, I woke up this morning to find a thread I had created over there with two small suggestions (#1 look into some of the forum names for being a bit unobvious #2 create a swedespeed forum) deleted. Why? Flet, one of the worst posters on Octane for being cliquey, insular and insulting to posters he didn't consider to be part of the clique, had a little bitchfit along with a bunch of regulars because a poster would have the temerity to suggest a couple of small improvements.

So Marlow, not a conspiracy theorist at all and you do look rather foolish now.

All Cliques have been eliminated. the cliques you see posting are not real and are a figment of your over active imaginations.
    comical_ali.jpg

• Advertisement

Tragedy wrote: »

OMG, you're like so affected by a conspiracy theory :pac:

OMG, you're like so affected by a conspiracy theory :pac:

conspiracy.jpg

RJ, I was looking forward to your return as despite what others may say I always found you objective, honest and helpful, albeit a bit of a smartass but we all have our bad points.

Since your return I'm sorry to say that I've found most of your posts bitter, rude and in fact stirring for trouble.

I used to enjoy your posts and I hope I can do in the future.

Also, I woke up this morning to find a thread I had created over there with two small suggestions (#1 look into some of the forum names for being a bit unobvious #2 create a swedespeed forum) deleted. Why? Flet, one of the worst posters on Octane for being cliquey, insular and insulting to posters he didn't consider to be part of the clique, had a little bitchfit along with a bunch of regulars because a poster would have the temerity to suggest a couple of small improvements.

So Marlow, not a conspiracy theorist at all and you do look rather foolish now.

No. I would look like a fool, if I turned around and said now, that anybody could come and say he had created thread x and y, it got deleted and it's person z that's at fault, but that can't be the case because nobody else saw them :)

I'd rather turn around and look at, if there is a reason, why things like this happend.

I've been active on Octane for about 3+ years and never once had a thread nor a post deleted. I've also never for example been banned on boards.

As for feature suggestions, why would you have created a new thread, when there is a thread full of that stuff, that you just could have replied to and added your suggestions there ?

Calling people names or accusing of behavior as above definatly won't help you on any forum, there or here, especially when it's a mod you're talking about.

As for Flet, I've met him a few times when he ran the Galway C&C and for the yearly Hudson Bay C&C and always found him dead on. So different people, different perception, different view.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

This thread doesnt seem to be about signing in 'foogies anymore does it? :pac:

• Advertisement

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Since your return I'm sorry to say that I've found most of your posts bitter, rude and in fact stirring for trouble...........

I'm not bitter at all so you're findings aren't overly accurate, nor am I stirring for trouble. I don't attempt to dress up anything as something it's not so I'll give you rude :)

Matt Simis wrote: »
    This thread doesnt seem to be about signing in 'foogies anymore does it? :pac:

Nah. It's been taken over by the bashing squad :D

/M

....... I've also never for example been banned on boards..........

lol, most impressive.

lol, most impressive.
    So much so they should give an award for it this year so recognise it

Before deleted threads get deleted they can be read ;)
    You can't really comment on stuff that was deleted before you saw it, can you?

I have no need to grow up, you might need to refrain from presuming "that kind of bull is well stamped out" though :)
    I'm pretty certain I'm entitled to an opinion James.... And with respects, I'm not the referring to things with such a cloak and dagger technique.... If you've got something to say why not just say it? You're well able to...

No. I would look like a fool, if I turned around and said now, that anybody could come and say he had created thread x and y, it got deleted and it's person z that's at fault.

I'd rather turn around and look at, if there is a reason, why things like this happend.

I've been active on Octane for about 3+ years and never once had a thread nor a post deleted. I've also never for example been banned on boards.
    Why gee, I'd love to show you the thread but unfortunately it's been deleted.
    As for feature suggestions, why would you have created a new thread, when there is a thread full of that stuff, that you just could have replied to and added your suggestions there ?
    I sure would if I had have known that that thread existed! Unfortunately it wasn't stickied and the search on the site is broken. I could have manually searched all 18 forums (seeing as how none are about the website or site suggestions), but I figured that might be a bit ott. After all, moderators can...you know...merge threads?
    Calling people names or accusing of behavior as above definatly won't help you on any forum, there or here, especially when it's a mod you're talking about.
    I didn't call people names on that forum as I recall, and I'm perfectly entitled to accuse them of behaviour that they displayed.

My post (from memory) consisted of:
    Title: Couple of suggestions!
    1)Forum names could do with being changed, some of them aren't particularly obvious and one shouldn't have to read the subtitle to figure it out
    2)Still no swedish forum? :(

Yeah, I'm obviously a conspiracy theorist antagonistic dick.

lol, most impressive.
    So much so they should give an award for it this year so recognise it

Lads. You're really dragging this off topic now. It's simple: the only reason why people get banned or threads get deleted, is if they don't play by the rules. At the end of the day, we're all guest on whatever forum we're active one. And if the rules get violated often enough, I can easily believe that mods then start deleting legimate threads, too, simply because that person becomes an unwanted element.

If you often enough cross that border, then you won't see any goodwill by the mods. End off.

I can't see, where accusing people of a forceable takeover, mods having bitchfits etc. is gonna give anybody any kind of goodwill in any forum. Be it here, on Octane, on 40AoY or anywhere. Just my 2c.

/M

If you often enough cross that border, then you won't see any goodwill by the mods. End off.
    Rubbish but I'm not going into it on here.

For the record your a good guy Marlow in the real world but I don't agree with you on this point in any way shape or form

I can't see, where accusing people of a forceable takeover, mods having bitchfits etc. is gonna give anybody any kind of goodwill in any forum. Be it here, on Octane, on 40AoY or anywhere. Just my 2c.

/M
    No-one accused 40AoY of forceably taking over octane, at least not that I've seen. Perhaps the conspiracy theories you've been ascribing to other people are coming out of your own imagination?

I'm pretty certain I'm entitled to an opinion James.... And with respects, I'm not the referring to things with such a cloak and dagger technique.... If you've got something to say why not just say it? You're well able to...

Likewise ;)
    I've said what I've said, to summarise, I'm not in agreement with your claims that all such carry on has been stamped out :) It's that simple :)

As entitled you are to your opinion coming out with "grow up" type statements is nothing short of a thinly veiled insult due to you not respecting someone else's right to air their opinion if you disagree with it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I was an Octane nerd and mod (I have been jilted by the new regime now that my sponsor (EOB) has left office) and mainly resided there with the odd peek in here - liked the classic car section a lot.

I know the membership here is huge so all sorts of motoring questions are to be expected - but when one guy asked if he could be stopped by the Gardai for having a missing hub cap I just had to laugh - my point being .. ah I forgot - continue please. :rolleyes:

Well then call a spade a spade and say what you've got to say. Name and shame instead of sitting here making snide remarks about regulars in an under your breath manner. If you've got an axe to grind which you clearly do then why not just do it?

Everything I've seen so far suggests that the people running it feel entitled to be the successors to octane, and has been thusly displayed with a ****ty attitude in a few posts over there already.

Octane was always in danger of being taken over by a certain clique (those who considered themselves 'hardcore' petrolheads, whatever that means) and 40 seems to have enabled them to accomplish just that.
    No-one accused 40AoY of forceably taking over octane, at least not that I've seen. Perhaps the conspiracy theories you've been ascribing to other people are coming out of your own imagination?

I read above unedited quote of you as, that a certain clique is taking over Octane and feel they're entitled to be successors of Octane. That's what I refer to with forcably, especially because 40AoY (and PH), is where Octane.ie points you at, when you go to the site.
    After all, moderators can...you know...merge threads?

Yep. They can merge threads. Takes a bit effort sometimes. If somebody has annoyed them enough in the past, they might take other avenues. I'm not saying, that that is what happened (as I wouldn't know), but hey, you never know.
    2)Still no swedish forum? :(

Well. I guess, we've got to get more Volvo's on there :)

/M

Well then call a spade a spade and say what you've got to say. Name and shame instead of sitting here making snide remarks about regulars in an under your breath manner. If you've got an axe to grind which you clearly do then why not just do it?

I believe what you're trying to say is: sh1te or get off the pot! ;):D:p

Yep. They can merge threads. Takes a bit effort sometimes. If somebody has annoyed them enough in the past, they might take other avenues. I'm not saying, that that is what happened (as I wouldn't know), but hey, you never know.

I used a new username on 40 because I always disliked my Octane one. No-one would have had any idea who I was as it was my first post.

tumblr_m7xolpQLbO1r2fq2r.gif

Well then call a spade a spade and say what you've got to say.

I have
    Name and shame instead of sitting here making snide remarks about regulars in an under your breath manner. If you've got an axe to grind which you clearly do then why not just do it?

They're not regulars my dear Watson ;)
    They seldom post.

I've no axe to grind either, can't fathom why you think I do.

Leave the psychology (and the modding) to the pros ;)

Do you intend actually contributing or are you just going to try and retort with idiotic images to convey your level of maturity for the rest of the evening?

I have

They're not regulars my dear Watson ;)
    They seldom post.

I've no axe to grind either, can't fathom why you think I do.

Leave the psychology to the pros ;)
    Good reply James..... No really.... Best come back ever. I think you've more than exposed yourself in the past few posts here. Throw a few more winks in for good measure next time. You might even start believing you're not talking tripe if you do.

/I'm done

• Advertisement

Do you intend actually contributing or are you just going to try and retort with idiotic images to convey your level of maturity for the rest of the evening?
    Can you not read the posts I did make or have you decided to attack the images as you know they are humorlessly ripping the piss out of the shyte your posting.

I've kept this one specially for you

tumblr_mam9fje3lu1rwjpnyo1_1280.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement