Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Octane .IE refugee's sign in here please.

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

ba_barabus banned for 1 month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Tragedy wrote: »
    I didn't call people names on that forum as I recall, and I'm perfectly entitled to accuse them of behaviour that they displayed.

Used the same email-address as for your previous account ? There's always more than just a username, that a mod can identify you by, you know :) Just saying, since it's mod's we're talking about
    My post (from memory) consisted of:
    Title: Couple of suggestions!
    1)Forum names could do with being changed, some of them aren't particularly obvious and one shouldn't have to read the subtitle to figure it out

Ah sure. That one wouldn't have gone down well with most on Octane (hence 40AoY) anyhow. Where's the fun or imagination in that ?

/M

MugMugs wrote: »
    Good reply James..... No really.... Best come back ever. I think you've more than exposed yourself in the past few posts here. Throw a few more winks in for good measure next time. You might even start believing you're not talking tripe if you do.

/I'm done

Come back?
    Just because you don't like the answer doesn't make it wrong and certainly doesn't make it trips.
    More than exposed myself? Are you for real? And I'm the one apparently talking tripe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Good reply James..... No really.... Best come back ever. I think you've more than exposed yourself in the past few posts here. Throw a few more winks in for good measure next time. You might even start believing you're not talking tripe if you do.

/I'm done

What good would RJ naming people do? Anyone with a bit of history with this forum would know exactly the group he's talking about, and would have already formed their own opinion as to whether the behaviour he describes actually happens or not. Naming them is pointless, he could have been more politic in his example of cliques existing on boards, but he had a point - even if made in RJ style.

That clique was in danger of becoming an insular one making Motors a less welcoming place to be. Thankfully, it didn't happen and that clique has it's own private forum and both Motors and it happily co-exists.

The point is, Octane hadn't gotten to that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Cop on the lot of you!
    ban-hammer.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Marlow wrote: »
    Used the same email-address as for your previous account ? There's always more than just a username, that a mod can identify you by, you know :) Just saying, since it's mod's we're talking about
    Nope!

Ah sure. That one wouldn't have gone down well with most on Octane (hence 40AoY) anyhow. Where's the fun or imagination in that ?

/M
    Octane names were great. Descriptive and fun. But compare
    Detroit Iron : Drivers, Drive-Ins And Drives
    Italian Stallions : Rust And Assorted Electrical Faults
    Das Auto : Mein Wagen
    Banzai : Jinba Ittai

Octane forum names were cool. Forty are trying to be funny/amusing (and failing), but more importantly, bloody cryptic. I shouldn't have to read a forums subheading to have to figure out what it's about.

Regardless of if people agree, it was a valid comment to make and it wasn't as if I was insisting they change them to suit my taste, and do it NOW!

Octane names were great. Descriptive and fun. But compare
    Detroit Iron : Drivers, Drive-Ins And Drives
    Italian Stallions : Rust And Assorted Electrical Faults
    Das Auto : Mein Wagen
    Banzai : Jinba Ittai

Octane forum names were cool. Forty are trying to be funny/amusing (and failing), but more importantly, bloody cryptic. I shouldn't have to read a forums subheading to have to figure out what it's about.

Regardless of if people agree, it was a valid comment to make and it wasn't as if I was insisting they change them to suit my taste, and do it NOW!

I'm not saying, it was invalid. Actually, I think the first day or two, Detroit Iron was called something else. I guess they're still experimenting around. We'll see, what they come up with in the long run.

For the first two days, there was no german section either. I felt quite lost there, because the only thing jap I have is a motorbike and well, as you pointed out, there's no swedish section.

I might have something french, but that's being scrapped and transplanted into something swedish, so doesn't count :)

My best bet on resolution is to turn up at one of the C&C's, approach one of the mods and have a chat about and why things got deleted. Might even prevent things like that from happening in the future.

Hell, on other forums, newbe posts get completely moderated and never make it to the forum, if not approved. And as you said, you registered with a new username, so were completely unknown (in your opinion) to the mods.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

I can't believe this is Boards! RJ,BA, Traj etc saying not-nice things and not banned forever. Maybe the demise of Octane is having an effect here, but just in case the mods are preparing a vengeance on every poster on the thread maybe we should end every post with a "god bless ya" or "god bless it."

God bless y'all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

/I'm done

I wouldn't bother posting regarding his posts any more Mugs, leave him be with his smilies, it won't make a blind bit of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

I was a member on octane with a few hundred posts but for now at least I will hold off on joining the new version, mainly for the reasons Tragedy outlined
    There were a few big personalities on Octane who took every opportunity to be dicks to people who didn't seem to be a part of the greater clique.

Some of said big personalities now seem to be involved in running 40AoY.
    From being a very enthusiastic daily reader I had gone to only occasionally checking and posting, no particular reason I can identify but some of the core group wouldn't be my cup of tea so that didn't help.
    The club format was a real attraction and I got to meet some very nice people,
    Like Marlow for example , a real gent! So I will take the best of it ,the meets and chats and leave the keyboard .
    Octane introduced me to Boards.motors.ie as it goes, I'll be honest and say it took a while to see the wealth of knowledge and helpful people amidst some of the traffic. The wider boards.ie has been a revelation.
    So while it was nice to have been an "Octaner "for a few years a "Forty shades of Yella person" just sounds wrong, am I a brand snob :D (no)

• Advertisement

So I will take the best of it ,the meets and chats and leave the keyboard .

Honestly, I've met plenty of people, that didn't even have an account on the Octane forums. They were just reading the forum and turned up to for example the C&C's. Or they found out about the events via word by mouth. They still added to the community. Nothing wrong in that.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I wouldn't mind joining up to a 'new' Octane, but I don't think this 40 acres of yellow is going to be it.

Why couldn't Boards do it? A couple of new subforums and Bob's yer uncle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Well we may not have got many refugees but this thread has been hilarious reading - vintage Boards at its 'best' :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I think anyone here would say we've given this thread a fair run, but it's getting ridiculous at this stage.

If people have a problem with how this forum is run take it to feedback or PM us if you have a problem. Winging about typical boards and other nonsense isn't helping anything.

Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement