Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Self build just turns off after a while

Options
  • 17-11-2012 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭

I have a AM2 self build that has been running fine for a long time.

Recently it just turns off without any warning like someone just turned the power off.

Would this be a PSU problem? Sometimes it stays on for a long time and sometimes it stop really soon.

When it starts it says windows did not close properly.

Also when I start it straight away it will go off again so it is a over heating problem of some sort.

As said I think PSU, but any other thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Have you dusted it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

ED E wrote: »
    Have you dusted it?

Not recently but it appears not to dusty (I have a window) Will dust it tomorrow and see if it makes a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭IIIAcHmEdIII

Does it suddenly just cut off? ive had this problem where i could be ingame or just browseing might even have the pc on for hours worth of gameing and have no problem but then try to browse the web and gone, it happened a few time where i just booted and it cut off abotu 10 mins after boot up.

Anyway i found the problem to be my cpu was over heating by quite a lot! a whole whopping 115C it peaked at. on closer inspection i found the thermal paste had turned to a powder.

I suggest checking the thermal paste on your cpu and make sure its still a paste! luckily for me it did'nt damage the cpu and since then i rebuilt the whoel system and now im sportng a nice new i5 ivy bridge. I had a intel pentium dual core 3.06Ghz.

will check that too! thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

btw you can't just check the thermal compound. If you remove the heatsink you should clean both cpu and heatsink and apply new thermal paste, even if it turns out that it was actually ok before you removed the heatsink.

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    btw you can't just check the thermal compound. If you remove the heatsink you should clean both cpu and heatsink and apply new thermal paste, even if it turns out that it was actually ok before you removed the heatsink.

Thanks, I know , but I suppose that when it is still good it will be hard to take the heatsink off, I have some paste laying about anyway just in case.

Advertisement