Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

blown reds

• 17-11-2012 7:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭

i have this lovely poinsettia plant here......i always want to get a photograph of it, but always the red channel is blown to bits. this happens with a lot of red plants, flowers. i've done a bit of searching, but couldn't really find anything that works.

i have tried shooting EV-1 .. i've tried messing with curves, tweaking WB.. the reds are just blown! perhaps it's the lighting in the house (not daylight).

i use aperture to process my raw files, as my version of photoshop will not open my canon raws.

does anyone have tips for shooting red items? or ideas for PP correction..

clipping channels...do not want! :(

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I'm certainly no expert, but if the houselights are affecting the reds, have you tried lighting the plant with a speedlight and upping your shutter speed to eliminate the ambient light from the equation? Maybe even add a gel to cool the light further?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    I'm certainly no expert, but if the houselights are affecting the reds, have you tried lighting the plant with a speedlight and upping your shutter speed to eliminate the ambient light from the equation? Maybe even add a gel to cool the light further?

no i didn't do that.. the halogen (house) lights gave everything else a nice "look" just the silly plant looks wrecked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Maybe a speedlight on low power, zoomed in on the plant to flood it with white light, but slow enough shutter to allow the halogens light everything else? Maybe place something between the plant and the halogens? Could get complicated, but that's part of the fun... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Use the Adobe DNG Converter to get your RAW files into Photoshop, then check out the 'Camera Calibration' module in ACR. Under 'Red Primary' you can adjust the hue and saturation of the Red Channel independently. This isn't the same as adjusting the reds in the 'HSL' panel. It's helped me tame some wild reds in the past.

great, will try that out -- thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Is the channel blown in the RAW ? i.e. Have you oversaturated the sensor ? Is there a way to check that ? Halogens aren't as bad as tungsten, but they still tend strongly toward the red IIRC. Shoot something that's red as well and your in camera exp. meter might be just bottling it.
    If this is the case you might just have to take exposure down a notch. Or take an incidental reading if you have a meter handy.

Is the channel blown in the RAW ? i.e. Have you oversaturated the sensor ? Is there a way to check that ? Halogens aren't as bad as tungsten, but they still tend strongly toward the red IIRC. Shoot something that's red as well and your in camera exp. meter might be just bottling it.
    If this is the case you might just have to take exposure down a notch. Or take an incidental reading if you have a meter handy.

from the histogram on the camera, it is clipping, even with -1EV. hmm...
    i've read though, that the histograms on the cameras aren't that accurate.
    i had my metering set to evaluative, which could have thrown a spanner in the works. i'm going to try spot metering later this evening with -1EV again and see. don't have a meter outside the camera, except an app on my iphone, which probably isn't worth anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Custom White Balance for the light?

pete4130 wrote: »
    Custom White Balance for the light?

i'll try that also. i was playing with WB in aperture, but to bring the red's out of the bad, it made everything else look wrong.

appreciate the replies, have a few things to try now. i'm determined to get a useable photo of this feckin poinsettia!

the iphone doesn't clip as much :p
    0874996e315c11e2b17a22000a1fa432_7.jpg

I mean do a custom white balance before shooting?!

• Advertisement

pete4130 wrote: »
    I mean do a custom white balance before shooting?!

i know what's what ya meant. i was only saying i hadn't done that, but rather was messing with the WB after importing the raw into my mac
    :)

Misunderstanding on my behalf :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Put the poinsetta into light shade for a few months till all the bracts turn green. :cool:

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Advertisement