Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling intimidated at work.

Options
  • 17-11-2012 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have a recent work problem and I need some advice.
    I work in fashion retail and I get a small break during my shift. I was 5 minutes over the allocated time and when I came back my supervisor confronted me (not in private) and stated that I held her and another co-worker back from going on their breaks (they still got to go) she also said that it wasn't the first time I had been late from my break and that it's always when I'm working with her, she also said it's been brought up in meetings.
    This issue had not been brought to my attention before. It doesn't seem right that they can discuss an issue with my performance without bringing it to my attention (so I can attempt to fix the problem). I feel like I'm not being given a chance to defend myself here and she's already brought it up with my manager.
    What should I do?
    Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Huh? Supervisors and managers will often discuss the performance of their reports without the subject knowing..

This seems like this *is* them bringing it to your attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

But if this has been brought up at a meeting, last meeting was October, then shouldn't they have brought it to my attention sooner?
    Apparently I've done this before when I haven't. It seems to me, in situations like this it should be said to me before going straight to the manager, so I can solve the problem and it'll be done and over with.
    Should I approach the manager over this and just state my side of the story?
    Or should I talk to the supervisor in question person to person?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

But if this has been brought up at a meeting, last meeting was October, then shouldn't they have brought it to my attention sooner?
    Apparently I've done this before when I haven't. It seems to me, in situations like this it should be said to me before going straight to the manager, so I can solve the problem and it'll be done and over with.
    Should I approach the manager over this and just state my side of the story?
    Or should I talk to the supervisor in question person to person?

To be honest, you shouldn't be coming back late from breaks, it's a pain for other people who are waiting to take their breaks and are relying on you to be back on time.

It's perfectly normal for managers/supervisors to discuss people's performance in meetings without the employee knowing, could be they discussed it and decided to let it slide to see if the behaviour continued.

Now that they have brought it to your attention, be more punctual coming back from breaks and the issue should go away

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

If they are correct then I don't see the problem. 5 minutes is pretty late for what I'm assuming is a 20 minute break. If you have not been late before, then I think you are right to feel intimidated that they are building something against you when it's not the case. If this isn't your first time being back late from a break, then they are in the right for remarking on it as a pattern. You are in a much stronger position to argue the point if you clock for breaks and it is your only late.

They can and will discuss your performance and others without your knowledge. It makes perfect sense...a is good on the floor, so keep her off the tills and put b on. C is very fast on fitting rooms, so keep her there for the weekend etc. etc. And issues..tills unders and overs and punctuality and appearance will be discussed, if only to get the best strategy to deal with it. They WILL appraise your performance yearly or more frequently and they will bring up issues with you as and when they see fit.

Advertisement