Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Printer for New IPad - No computer?

• 17-11-2012 8:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

I have the new iPad but no computer or laptop. I also have eircom wifi. I'm just wondering are there any printers that I can set up and print from my iPad without the printer being connected to a computer/laptop? I dont know if it's even possible as I'm far from advanced when it comes to technology! :)

Sorry if this has been asked before. I did a search but couldn't find anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭jake is right

I use the Hewlett Packard 3050A for printing (wirelessly) from an Ipad2. Works very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

I use the Hewlett Packard 3050A for printing (wirelessly) from an Ipad2. Works very well.

Thanks jake. So you didn't need a computer to set it up? Is it just plugged into a socket then, not a computer or laptop? Do you use an app or something to print? Sorry if these are really stupid questions, I am that clueless!

Checked that printer out. Price seems good as I only want it to print the occasional email or boarding card.

I have a computer also. But the printer is totally separate, and 'talks' to either the PC or the IPad via the WIFI router.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Lima Golf wrote: »
    Thanks jake. So you didn't need a computer to set it up? Is it just plugged into a socket then, not a computer or laptop? Do you use an app or something to print? Sorry if these are really stupid questions, I am that clueless!

Checked that printer out. Price seems good as I only want it to print the occasional email or boarding card.

when buying your printer, ensure its compatible with Apple Airplay, that way you know you can print directly to it from any iOS device over WiFi.

Here is the HP one mentioned above http://www8.hp.com/ie/en/products/printers/product-detail.html?oid=5061085

Whats it like for ink replacement jake is right?

Whats it like for ink replacement jake is right?

I am not a heavy user, but the ink usage is not bad; similar to the Canon I used previously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Have the 3050A as well, you should be able to pick that up for less than €50...
    I'm not sure if you need a computer to do the initial setup (check to make sure) but once it's up and running you can print straight from any iOS device via airprint and you can even email the printer (HP ePrint).
    Ink usage is average, but you can buy bigger refills and non branded as well (even in tesco).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I have the new iPad but no computer or laptop. I also have eircom wifi. I'm just wondering are there any printers that I can set up and print from my iPad without the printer being connected to a computer/laptop? I dont know if it's even possible as I'm far from advanced when it comes to technology! :)

Sorry if this has been asked before. I did a search but couldn't find anything.

Did you even Google it ? I googled "iPad wireless printing"

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4306492?start=0&tstart=0

Piliger wrote: »
    Did you even Google it ? I googled "iPad wireless printing"

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4306492?start=0&tstart=0

Yes I did google it and am aware of AirPrint and that you can print from apple products. However the question I was asking was can I get a compatible printer which does not need to be connected to a computer to set up or use as I no longer have a computer or laptop. I couldn't find my answer through google searches, apple forums or previous threads on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

i use an epson printer - all their wireless models are compatible with iPads. the xp305 and up can be set up without a computer. the xp202 is cheaper but you need to setup with a computer first

Yes I did google it and am aware of AirPrint and that you can print from apple products. However the question I was asking was can I get a compatible printer which does not need to be connected to a computer to set up or use as I no longer have a computer or laptop. I couldn't find my answer through google searches, apple forums or previous threads on here.

There are dozens of answers in google listing. You appear to confuse being on the same wifi network, with having a computer desktop. You don't need a computer desktop. As long as your iPad and the printer are on the same wifi network ...........

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Many wireless printers will need a computer to setup on the network although some do support navigating through wifi networks and setting WEP/WPA codes on the device itself, so wouldn't need a computer to set up. I'm aware Epson and all have android apps which afaik can set up the printer from the device itself I think (not needing a computer), check the apple app store if companies have a similar tool for ios. This would be seperate to airprint

Nick

You don't need a computer desktop. As long as your iPad and the printer are on the same wifi network ...........

Many do, i have a brand new wifi printer here and i cant print from my iOS device to it.

Just because Google answers a question, there no harm checking locally that it still works, my 2c anyway.

kceire wrote: »
    Many do, i have a brand new wifi printer here and i cant print from my iOS device to it.
    Of course many do. That's not the issue. The issue is "are there any printers that I can set up and print from my iPad without the printer being connected to a computer/laptop?

The answer is yes - there are several models that support Apple's iOS AirPrint service that doesn't require a computer.
    Just because Google answers a question, there no harm checking locally that it still works, my 2c anyway.
    There is no need to check - they sell them in PCWorld and online from many retailers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Ur[s]uS

I use the Canon PIXMA MG5350 like this - direct from iPad over wireless network. It works a treat for prints and scans.

Canon also have a dedicated iOS app that you can use to manage prints and scans in more detail:
    https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/canon-easy-photoprint/id331269951?mt=8

PS I set up the printer on my wireless network without a computer.

Of course many do. That's not the issue. The issue is "are there any printers that I can set up and print from my iPad without the printer being connected to a computer/laptop?

The answer is yes - there are several models that support Apple's iOS AirPrint service that doesn't require a computer.

There is no need to check - they sell them in PCWorld and online from many retailers.

Pilliger relax :) I've asked a question on here because I couldn't find an answer by googling or doing a search on here. There is loads about buying a printer compatible with apple products. There was nothing I could find specific to my question. People are generally helpful on here by offering their advice and personal experiences, which I really do appreciate. You could go around posting "google it" on just about every question on this forum but it isn't particularly helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

You're missing what the original poster was enquiring about. Yes there are heaps of AirPrint printers that can print from iOS without a computer... BUT a lot of those printers need a computer for the initial setup - then you can print from your iPad/iPhone without the computer.

Anyway, back on track now Lima Golf - as a general rule, most printers with a screen on the front of them you can set them up your wifi without a computer. Ones without a screen will obviously need the PC for setup

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

I got an advent all in one printer( photocopy,scan ,print) was 59.99 in currys I just had to download a Kodak app for it to work it's pretty decent photos come out decent as well

Isint all of that exactly what i posted in post No. 5 and no. 13 :confused:

kceire wrote: »
    Isint all of that exactly what i posted in post No. 5 and no. 13 :confused:

No. There are so many specific and lengthy articles and videos aimed at exactly what the original poster sought - that it seems to me a google search is far more effective than asking everyone else to do the search for them and have to reproduce those instructions here. I hardly think it is too much to expect people to make a small effort, and the most well known effort, to find a solution to their problem themselves - as I do regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

Wils110 wrote: »
    I got an advent all in one printer( photocopy,scan ,print) was 59.99 in currys I just had to download a Kodak app for it to work it's pretty decent photos come out decent as well

Wouldn't this be exactly what OP is looking for no computer needed for setup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ballbag05

Have both an iPhone 4 and a iPad mini, what's the best/ cheapest to run printer out there so, without a laptop to set it up

Advertisement