Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone having trouble with their broadband

Options
  • 17-11-2012 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

My broadband just stopped working this morning, it was going to a red DSL light with no internet, then it wouldn't even go to a DSL light, I brought the modem to the phone point and plugged it in still nothing, our phone is working fine.. I did try another modem but I'm not sure if that actually works or not either, so can't tell if it's the modem or not...
    But thought i'd check to see if anyone else has the same problem

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

I posted this in another thread. Its Vodafone broadband but they resell Eircoms so i'm sure its the same problem. It is after all Eircom that are the root of the problem.

"I found out whats going on with the speeds.
    Turns out the guy sitting beside me at work has a brother who is an Eircom engineer and he let me talk to him.
    Anyone having speed issues on what was previously a stable speed should check to see is your exchange one of the ones getting upgraded to fibre. Apparently the upgrade work thats being done has messed up a lot of peoples steady broadband, but its being kept quiet so they dont get complaints.
    Pity they wont come clean isnt it."

I started a thread about it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81807690#post81807690

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

Mine isn't even a speed issue, it's a totally gone issue, I don't think they are going to be upgrading where I live.....

I do think this time it might be the router because I'm using my mobile phone as a portable hot spot and it's faster than what my home broandband is!!

It's all back working again, but still slower than my mobile phone internet...... I had just thought it was my computer but it looks like it's the broadband..

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

dido2 wrote: »
    It's all back working again, but still slower than my mobile phone internet...... I had just thought it was my computer but it looks like it's the broadband..

The symptom for this upgraded problem is that it goes completely for a while. Then comes back very slow getting faster and faster til its more normal speed then degrades again in the next day to repeat the cycle.
    Probably something to do with increased contention after the upgrade work I guess.

Reboot your router every 2 hours.
    Screenshot the sync speed and do a speed test each tim so you have a record of it.

Actually I am supposed to be getting speeds up to 7 GB and i've had readings of 6gb with Speedtest, I do think my issue might be partly due to where the router is, I have it run over a long distance to connect to our main computer i must get a wireless adapter and put the modem back out by the phone point because even though the main computer is connected directly to the modem I get faster service on the laptop wirelessly...

The 7 gb capability is only something recent too, so maybe that is a problem, I had someone from another telecom company at the door last week saying the lines are only up to 3gb but I told him I'm consistently getting speeds of over 6 gb..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi dido2

Please PM me your account details/landline number if any issues persist as i can look into this for you.

Regards

Al

Thanks Alan

As of now it's working!!

Louise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi louise

Thanks for the feedback

Regards

Al

Advertisement