Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

free units

Options
  • 17-11-2012 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭

Does EI still give the free units of electricity taken from the bill, or do they just put the allowance on the social welfare payment?

Also how can one make a payment towards the bill outside of the due dates?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi jimmyw,

If you're eligible for it, the Free Electricity Allowance covers the following on your bill:
    • Your normal domestic standing charges
    • Your domestic PSO levy (where charged)
    • 1,800 units of electricity each year (300 units of electricity per bill).
    • VAT on the above charges

The Department of Social Protection are the administrators of the scheme, so they will decide if you are eligible.
    jimmyw wrote:
    how can one make a payment towards the bill outside of the due dates?

There are a number of ways you can do this; from paying online, by cheque, debit card, to paying in the post office. See here for a full list of payment options.

If you have any further questions we'll be happy to help.

Thanks,

David

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Cheers for that, I understand the workings of the scheme,but do they still take the units from the bill itself or is the amount added at the welfare payment of the recipient?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi jimmyw, it's all covered on the bill itself.

Thanks,

David.

Sorry to be a pain in the butt, :( but there is no mention whatsoever about it on this months bill (or last month for that matter either).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Jimmy,

No problem at all - ask away!

Have you or the person in receipt of FEA (if not you) been in contact with the Department of Social Protection?

Regards,
    Una

• Advertisement

Hi Jimmy,

No problem at all - ask away!

Have you or the person in receipt of FEA (if not you) been in contact with the Department of Social Protection?

Regards,
    Una

No its not me that's getting the free units, its the father but no I didn't contact the department.I just thought I remember before that the units were taken from the bill, but maybe its after changing now.I just thought you would be aware of the set up, thanks Una.Its only about 3 or four months since the account was changed over from another provider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Jimmy,

The details of FEA are covered in the bill, but if an update is required, the department would be the first port of call to contact. I would recommend contacting Electric Ireland also to establish whether the department has been in contact with us.

Because you are the not the account-holder in this instance, I am unable to speak to you by private message in relation to any account specifics, so I would recommend the account-holder making contact with us.

Regards,
    Una

Advertisement