Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitten Diaria ?

• 17-11-2012 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

My kittens got something up with her. :(
    She recently went out side for the first time and her poo for the past day has been what can only be described as runney snot theres a lot of water in it which is odd to its almost cleer to she drinks water all the time.

I fed her earlier on and she had a whoopsie on the, floor and twice since then and every time shes eatin shes had a case of the runs.

I cant bring her to the vet untill Monday could anybody give me an idea whats up with her sshes about 5 weeks old at this stage shes as happy as larry other then the said problem eyes are nice and clear and shes alert :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

5 weeks old is very young! Do you have the mother?

Firstly she is far too young to be let outside.
    What are you feeding her? SHe is only at the weaning stage now and should be starting to eat a high quality food like royal canin babycat ( mixed with warm water to make it mushy) or royal canin weaning dry or wet food.

She is also only just at the stage of learning to use her litter tray, Momma would toilet her while she was still drinking from her but once they start to eat regular food they learn to use the litter tray.

to be honest i would be very worried about a kitten this young having diarrhea and drinking excess water. I would look for an emergancy vet in your area tonight. Kittens can go downhill very quickly with something like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

5 weeks old is very young! Do you have the mother?

Firstly she is far too young to be let outside.
    What are you feeding her? SHe is only at the weaning stage now and should be starting to eat a high quality food like royal canin babycat ( mixed with warm water to make it mushy) or royal canin weaning dry or wet food.

She is also only just at the stage of learning to use her litter tray, Momma would toilet her while she was still drinking from her but once they start to eat regular food they learn to use the litter tray.

to be honest i would be very worried about a kitten this young having diarrhea and drinking excess water. I would look for an emergancy vet in your area tonight. Kittens can go downhill very quickly with something like this.

apologies 8 weeks not 5, 5 weeks living int this house :o shes been here about that long.
    I'm going to try get her to one tomorrow, the last time she had diarai she had been drinking milk other then that.. Shes been fine..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Snowie wrote: »
    apologies 8 weeks not 5 :o shes been here about that long.
    I'm going to try get her to one tomorrow

Try if you can, where are you based?

She is far too young imo at eight weeks to get out on her own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

scoury hole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

It's far too cold and the baby's far too young to be let out. Moreover, OP you shouldn't be letting the cat out until she's neutered!!

Cats are sexually mature from about six months, so I'd get her spayed as soon as possible after six months.

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Try if you can, where are you based?

She is far too young imo at eight weeks to get out on her own.

I'm in Waterford...
    Thanks for you opinion!

It's far too cold and the baby's far too young to be let out. Moreover, OP you shouldn't be letting the cat out until she's neutered!!

Cats are sexually mature from about six months, so I'd get her spayed as soon as possible after six months.

Shes out side with me and its only on to the pateo, I'm getting her used to out side, and its usually for 10 minutes!

Was she taken away from the mother or was she orphaned?
    Plenty of time to get her used to outdoors once the weather gets better, in the spring. She is open to everything as she hasnt built up a proper immunity to things yet, she's not vaccinated nor de flead, nor wormed.

What food are you giving her?

Shes out side with me and its only on to the pateo, I'm getting her used to out side, and its usually for 10 minutes!

Doesn't matter. She's too young, and it's too cold for her. Has she had her shots as yet? That could be a reason why she's getting sick...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

apologies 8 weeks not 5, 5 weeks living int this house :o shes been here about that long.
    I'm going to try get her to one tomorrow, the last time she had diarai she had been drinking milk other then that.. Shes been fine..
    Have you had her since she was 3 weeks old, or was she 8 weeks when you got her and is now 13 weeks?

If she was only 3 weeks old when you got her was she still with her mother? I'm a bit confused on this.

If she was 3 weeks when you got her, she was no where near ready to leave her mother and probably should have still been bottle fed with proper kitten milk. What milk was she drinking? Have you dewormed her?

Either way she has a very unhappy digestive system, possibly in conjunction with parasites. Agree with above, she's so young and a kitten with diarrhoea will rapidly decline as they just cant afford to lose fluid and not have it replaced asap.

• Advertisement

city vets in waterford city provide a 24 hr emergency 051 371155.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Mr Hole wrote: »
    Sounds like a disgusting problem. May be best to have the poor thing put to sleep ?

Maybe best to give you a break from the forum for that comment.
    1 week ban issued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭pawrick

lots of things could have caused it and not necessarily connected with being out doors.

How is she doing today?

It's quite possible she ate something which didn't agree with her when she was outside with you, however if the issue is ongoing today it could be a sign of a more serious problem or she may become dehydrated from not retaining fluids and this can be very serious left untreated.

either way no harm if brought to a vet for a check up even if she is fine today.

best of luck

How is the kitten doing now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

So lets be clear on this. Your kitten is 8 weeks old. She has been living with you for 5.5 weeks. So you got her at 3 weeks old??? Thats far too young for her to be away from the mother? Was it a crisis situation?

Was it an accident that she drank the milk? Milk is not good for cats. Again, what are you feeding her?

Also she needs time to adjust to your house and get used to you. It is advisable to keep her in for a few months to let her adjust to you and her new surroundings. This will pay dividends in the end as when she is ready to go out she will know where she needs to come back to for food, warmth and love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

What milk? Cows milk is very bad for cats. I hope you brought her to the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

IvySlayer wrote: »
    What milk? Cows milk is very bad for cats. I hope you brought her to the vet.

Most cats are lactose intelorant so giving a cat cows milk will cause them to fart and have the runs, and when you have the runs you get dehydrated .And for a kitten that young that can be v dangerous.

You can buy cat milk. Its around 1.80 for a small bottle but its v good for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Lucyn

Most cats are lactose intelorant so giving a cat cows milk will cause them to fart and have the runs, and when you have the runs you get dehydrated .And for a kitten that young that can be v dangerous.

You can buy cat milk. Its around 1.80 for a small bottle but its v good for them.
    A bit off topic but my vet told me that the cats milk you buy in those little bottles is like coca cola for cats. He told me to get her onto water asap. Obviously it's a million times better that cows milk but water is best. Now she wasn't too impressed when I presented here with the bowl of plain water as she used to come running for the cat milk (proof alone that it must contain sugar of something). I just watered the (cat's) milk down bit by bit each day.

Only one of my cats liked milk. He would wolf down a bowl as soon as look at it!!

My girl had the most awful runs when I got her. It was probably due to the fact she was taken from her mother too young and hadn't been properly weaned. Kitten diarrhoea is notoriously difficult to get rid of, and it took me months (and many visits to the vet!) to get her right. She was on water from the beginning and never liked milk anyway.

My boy? He just HATED it!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

Lucyn wrote: »
    A bit off topic but my vet told me that the cats milk you buy in those little bottles is like coca cola for cats. .

my fellas wired to the moon anyway so it wouldnt make any diff lol, my 1st cat Tilly adored cat milk but it didnt make him loopy or anything, maybe it just depends if your cats hyper or not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement