Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a clothing business

Options
  • 17-11-2012 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

HI

I am in the process of setting up a clothing business and i am having trouble finding enough information on importing from the united states.What i really need to find out is what kind of taxes and vat will i have to pay when i import the clothing.If anybody has imported large amounts of clothing from america and can help me out with the taxes and vat i might have to pay it would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

You should contact customs directly (revenue) and they will tell you what % is applicable.

The other thing to watch out for is the sales tax in the US. It changes from county to county and state to state but dont know if you can claim back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?user=222187&sort=newest

Please see posts by Rudolph, he is the number one go to guy here on import duties Vat etc. I am sure he has covered this very topic in his posts linked above.

cheers

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

davek2013 wrote: »
    HI

I am in the process of setting up a clothing business and i am having trouble finding enough information on importing from the united states.What i really need to find out is what kind of taxes and vat will i have to pay when i import the clothing.If anybody has imported large amounts of clothing from america and can help me out with the taxes and vat i might have to pay it would be greatly appreciated thanks.

In principle clothing attracts a rate of duty of 12%. That is calculated over the cost of the products (typically the invoice value) plus the freight costs. VAT @23% is charged over the aforementioned plus the duty.

If you are registered for VAT the VAT paid on imports is a deductible input in your periodic return.

One final note : VAT on children's clothing is zero.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Cheers,
    Rudolf 289

Advertisement