Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New printer cartridges - light mag and magenta not working

Options
  • 17-11-2012 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi, could someone help me please?

I have just put new cartridges in hp photosmart C5180 and the two majentas aren't working. So i did a test print and they are only two colours that were blank on page.

Bear with me - first time doing it :D. Took them out to look - ink around lower hole and ink on white bit of "something" - paper? i can see at back where they fit in. But on checking others, no colour on white bit.

What do i do? Talk to me as if i'm three (not a techie at all!)

Thanks a million in advance,
    Rose

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭rosehip

It also seems as if the ink is leaking into the machine now when i try test pages so i'm destroyed. i'm cleaning it out with tissue and cotton buds.

I've tried inkjet site and did what they recommended and tried google and tried what i understood. Am afraid i'll damage something now.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭druidhill

Are they original or compatible or refill cartridges?
    Most inkjets have a piece of sticky tape to remove somewhere on them when they are being installed fresh.
    Also, make sure they are seated correctly.
    There could be something blocking like a piece of paper, or the area where they ink flows from the cartridge to the printer is may have clogged up on those two.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭cml387

I've changed cartridges on a C5180 many times and it's more straightforward than many other printers.

You just unhook the clip and stick in the new one.

There is no tape to remove on them.

hi guys,

got from inkjet.ie on recommendation of mod here a month ago. Was a strip to pull off - i did them all.

Anyone any ideas?

Kind regards,
    Rose

PS simple install - and nothing looks different to ones that are working

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

The ink leaking isn't a good sign, but if you clean it up you should be fine. I don't have much expierience with HP ink cartridges but afaik with HP ones the print head is integrated into the cartridge. It sounds to me like that is what has failed. Just make sure to clean the printer out of all the leaking ink and if you have isoprophyl (rubbing) alcohol it would be no harm to use it in the clean up process (dabble some on the cotton buds and clean out the cartridge carriage).
    I would get in touch with inkjet about this, they should replace the cartridges for you at the very least.

Nick

• Advertisement

Sorry to keep bothering you but is it possible the hole is too big? Pink ink is gushing out of the light magenta by itself now. My bin is full of the sodding stuff!

I tried cleaning the heads, i tried alignment - and got my first pink of the evening but other pink missing BUT when i tried test page again - no pinks.

I'm tired and v annoyed now so am leaving it. I'll contact inkjet.ie on monday.

Night all,
    Rose

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

rosehip wrote: »
    Sorry to keep bothering you but is it possible the hole is too big? Pink ink is gushing out of the light magenta by itself now. My bin is full of the sodding stuff!

I tried cleaning the heads, i tried alignment - and got my first pink of the evening but other pink missing BUT when i tried test page again - no pinks.

I'm tired and v annoyed now so am leaving it. I'll contact inkjet.ie on monday.

Night all,
    Rose

Havn't a clue tbh, I would stop using the inks immediately though and contact inkjet regarding the issue, it sounds as though they are faulty.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Blindside87

Maybe you should try a replacement cartridge, especially if the one you got is starting to leak! These cartridges are usually pretty straight forward and trouble free. Is the chip being read ok by the printer? ie. is it giving you the ink level etc.?

Hi Blindside,

Yes they are all being read at 100% - as all are new in. I don't have a replacement cartridge.

The printer was a present a few years ago and this is first time replacing stuff. I had a lovely HP 940 (i think) for years and never replaced colour and refilled the big black cartridge for years and no trouble. I gave this to my cousin and it's still working...(sigh...)

Thanks for the reply,
    Rose

Can you get a replacement from where ever you got it? Sounds like it's just a faulty cartridge.

No probs!

• Advertisement

Just a quick follow up.

Posted the 2 cartridges to inkjet.ie on monday, got 2 replacements this morning and are working...finally :D

Thanks.
    Rose

Thought that might have been it. Cheers

Advertisement