Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dungarvan - cork N25 speed limit

Options
  • 17-11-2012 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭

What is the story with the 60km speed limit leaving Dungarvan on the N25? There were cops on that road today - when entering and leaving the town. But the weirs thing is that I think there was a slow and fast lane - with a 60km - then 100km speed limit?
    Sorry but could someone explain this to me as I do not live in the area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

Do you mean 'the sweep' on the Youghal side of Dungarvan just after the turnoff for Ring?

There is a sharp bend in the road so both lanes are 60km/h in the area of the bend.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

MarkK wrote: »
    Do you mean 'the sweep' on the Youghal side of Dungarvan just after the turnoff for Ring?

There is a sharp bend in the road so both lanes are 60km/h in the area of the bend.

There's a couple of them along that road, I drive it fairly regularly, and tbh I think given how sharp some of the bends are between Youghal and Dungarvan the speed limit of 60kph is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I think there may be more to it than just the bend. Right where the bend is at it's most severe cars can take a right turn off to a minor road, could cause a serious accident if cars were driving up at 100km/hr and were faced with a stationery car waiting to turn off (I've seen one or two close shaves there over the years, one involving a tractor turning off).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Roanmore wrote: »
    I think there may be more to it than just the bend. Right where the bend is at it's most severe cars can take a right turn off to a minor road, could cause a serious accident if cars were driving up at 100km/hr and were faced with a stationery car waiting to turn off (I've seen one or two close shaves there over the years, one involving a tractor turning off).

True there are a lot of fairly invisible sideroads until you are almost on top of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Itchianus

Stheno wrote: »
    There's a couple of them along that road, I drive it fairly regularly, and tbh I think given how sharp some of the bends are between Youghal and Dungarvan the speed limit of 60kph is right.

Hold on, are you saying you'd drive the whole way from Youghal to Dungarvan at 60kph? :eek:

• Advertisement

Itchianus wrote: »
    Hold on, are you saying you'd drive the whole way from Youghal to Dungarvan at 60kph? :eek:

No just in the 60 zones :) Those zones though tend to have a lot of side roads, and are very bendy

60 all the way doesn't bear thinking about :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

There's also Garanbane NS on one of those 60km sections and a high speed crash nearby could easily end up with a car sitting in a class room although they have put up some decent crash barriers in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

i'm talking about the dungarvan - cork direction - as your going up a hill. I think the name of the area is "wine/wind gap" or something like that?

sporina wrote: »
    i'm talking about the dungarvan - cork direction - as your going up a hill. I think the name of the area is "wine/wind gap" or something like that?

Windgap is on the back road from Carrick-on-Suir to Kilkenny

Gets map out............

OK so thats the OTHER Windgap, now I know where you are :D (the hill to the west of Dungarvan with a bad bend on it and the 2 laybys/viewing points .

Its always been like that. I take that corner at 100km sometimes tbh, but it really is a very obvious bad bend. The overtaking lane even makes sence at 60km/h as some of the trucks and tractors going up that hill will be going slower than that. The speed restriction is well signposted and only either side of the bad bend so hardly a big deal.

The area that has changed in recent years is comming up to the first roundabout to the West of the town through Ringcrehy where there is a massive long newer speed restricted section.

I think its because the council have spent money making the area look good for tourists (boat load of flowers or some such on the side of the road) so they want you to slow down to see it :D

As for the Guards being on that spot, usual story, easy targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

My poor car wouldn't go faster than 60km/h up that hill anyway :(

One thing though. It is not a fast lane. It is an overtaking lane.

• Advertisement

lertsnim wrote: »
    My poor car wouldn't go faster than 60km/h up that hill anyway :(

You could always take your foot off the brake on the way down :eek:

eirator wrote: »
    Windgap is on the back road from Carrick-on-Suir to Kilkenny

Gets map out............

OK so thats the OTHER Windgap, now I know where you are :D (the hill to the west of Dungarvan with a bad bend on it and the 2 laybys/viewing points .

Its always been like that. I take that corner at 100km sometimes tbh, but it really is a very obvious bad bend. The overtaking lane even makes sence at 60km/h as some of the trucks and tractors going up that hill will be going slower than that. The speed restriction is well signposted and only either side of the bad bend so hardly a big deal.

The area that has changed in recent years is comming up to the first roundabout to the West of the town through Ringcrehy where there is a massive long newer speed restricted section.

I think its because the council have spent money making the area look good for tourists (boat load of flowers or some such on the side of the road) so they want you to slow down to see it :D

As for the Guards being on that spot, usual story, easy targets.

yeah that the stretch of road i would say - its just a few km outside of dungarvan on the N25.
    I am just not sure to 60km and then 100km - seemed strange to me.
    And there was a squad car parked on the side road to the left and I thought something flashed at me - ie I thought i had got a speeding fine. I was doing about 68km. But I rang the barracks and the guard told me that even if there was a speeding gun, they have to actually go after you and issue you with a ticket and so as that did not happen, I am not fined.
    However he also said that there would have been no flash so I do not know what I saw. I was freaked anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I assume the speed limit is reduced due to the bend at the top of the road. Would be dangerous enough at 100km/hr. They generally do a speed check just around the bend and they were doing one this weekend.

The marked GoSafe vans do not operate in this particular section, but they can take pictures of cars going over the limit. The unmarked Garda Vans, rarely seen, can also do this. A Garda who has a mounted camera can take a picture of offending cars and process it later without pulling you over, but its rare. Most common is a general speed check by the Gardai in their car or out with a speed gun and they will come after you if you are above the limit.

Sully wrote: »
    I assume the speed limit is reduced due to the bend at the top of the road. Would be dangerous enough at 100km/hr. They generally do a speed check just around the bend and they were doing one this weekend.

The marked GoSafe vans do not operate in this particular section, but they can take pictures of cars going over the limit. The unmarked Garda Vans, rarely seen, can also do this. A Garda who has a mounted camera can take a picture of offending cars and process it later without pulling you over, but its rare. Most common is a general speed check by the Gardai in their car or out with a speed gun and they will come after you if you are above the limit.

in their car do you mean with a speed gun? and what about the flash? would there be a flash of light or was i imagining that?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

sporina wrote: »
    in their car do you mean with a speed gun? and what about the flash? would there be a flash of light or was i imagining that?

If they are in the car with a gun, it wont flash. It pops up on screen what speed you are doing and they decide whether to 'give chase'. Sometimes they do this standing outside the car also, but if its just the fun, it wont flash.

Gardai sometimes use equipment where they have a camera/gun mounted on a stand. This is generally used to take a picture of the car offending and then processed. I'm not sure if they flash.

Anyway, no need to worry. The barracks would be aware if they had units with such equipment out and I saw them doing checks on Saturday and it wasn't using such.

Sully wrote: »
    If they are in the car with a gun, it wont flash. It pops up on screen what speed you are doing and they decide whether to 'give chase'. Sometimes they do this standing outside the car also, but if its just the fun, it wont flash.

Gardai sometimes use equipment where they have a camera/gun mounted on a stand. This is generally used to take a picture of the car offending and then processed. I'm not sure if they flash.

Anyway, no need to worry. The barracks would be aware if they had units with such equipment out and I saw them doing checks on Saturday and it wasn't using such.

i must have imagined a flash - its amazing how the mind plays tricks on you..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

eirator wrote: »

That has been that length for years now. I don't think it's excessively long considering you're meeting the first roundabout, and there's also the turn off into the factory.

When the new sweep road opened first there was a couple of incidents, mainly with cars coming down trying to take the bend too fast, so they changed it to 60km pretty soon after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

noby wrote: »
    When the new sweep road opened first there was a couple of incidents, mainly with cars coming down trying to take the bend too fast, so they changed it to 60km pretty soon after that.

Are you sure?
    I remember it being 40mph from the day it opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Not sure. Maybe it was and people were just ignoring it.

This section of road has now been included as one of the new Gosafe locations. It includes both the 60km/hr and 100km/hr areas.
    I saw a survey van a couple of weeks ago in the picnic stop near the Seanchai pub. It was facing down the hill towards Dungarvan.

The issue I have with this is the dangerous area of this road is the 60km/hr area with the bad bend but they will not be able to locate a van in this area, it won't be possible to locate it where the Garda car usually is.
    The area I saw the van surveying was the overtaking lane heading towards Cork, this area is not a dangerous location (my opinion, others may differ).

I travel this road every morning and it's quiet but on the odd occasion when coming out of the 60km/hr (which I always slow down for) you may see a truck ahead and I may (ahem) have gone above the limit to overtake it before the overtaking lane ends. I'll be watching carefully for the van in future.

On a related note, Grange has also been included as a Gosafe location. Similar to above I've seen the van is parked outside the old Co-op facing Dungarvan where there is a straight stretch of road, however the dangerous location here is in the opposite direction on the bend where a number of accidents have occurred and there is a hidden entrance where tractors cross the road. This is the area the van should be targetting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

Roanmore wrote: »

I travel this road every morning and it's quiet but on the odd occasion when coming out of the 60km/hr (which I always slow down for) you may see a truck ahead and I may (ahem) have gone above the limit to overtake it before the overtaking lane ends. I'll be watching carefully for the van in future.

On a related note, Grange has also been included as a Gosafe location. Similar to above I've seen the van is parked outside the old Co-op facing Dungarvan where there is a straight stretch of road, however the dangerous location here is in the opposite direction on the bend where a number of accidents have occurred and there is a hidden entrance where tractors cross the road. This is the area the van should be targetting.

The Go safe van has been on the opposite side of the road on a few occasions. The are normally parked at the spot where the memorial stone has been erected.

It was on the Dungarvan Observer last week that this area and the Pulla area on the N25 are new areas for the Go Safe vans

That makes more sense than parking in the lay by.

Advertisement