Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Product design and Technology

• 18-11-2012 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Ok, so this looks like quite an interesting course to me and as I have a strong interest in falling into a "creative career" out of here, I must say this course catches my eye.

However I'd like to know what school subjects would be used in the course structure as I done Maths, English, Irish, History, Accountancy, Art and French. I'd imagine that those aren't the best of subjects to head into the course with so was wondering if it'd be a mistake to go ahead with doing it?

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Billyum

Hey there, im a second year product designer in UL, and its certainly and interesting but very challenging course. Basically, there are two halves, the technology side, and the product design side... pretty self explanatory i guess:-p. In first year there is a lot of "non design" type of stuff that isnt really creative which kinda worried me a bit but dont let that put you off cuz theres less and less of that as the course progresses. But you also have the design side in 1st year with the studio sessions, theres one four hour lab each week and also a two hour drawing class, this is on top of your regular five modules. Its not very arty or interesting like our briefs were a none leathal mouse trap, some kind of kettle which i forget then we also give a designer and we had to design summit that reflected there style. While your doing those projects youll probably think there total bollocks and they kind of are but it introduces you to the whole "design process" and they are worth while in the long run.

In second year tho we are given alot more creative freedom and opportunity to be as creative as we want, which i love. Although the technology part is still a massive part of second year and i gotta say the work load is bigger than a lot of courses, youll take a lap report to do every week at least, and also your studio project which you have to present on weekly also and theyll probably ask you to produce a **** load of drawing too, so you are kept on your toes

As for third and fourth year I dont really know yet, you go on coop in second semester of third year, this year a lot of ppl went to Boston Scientific i think, not sure.

As for fourth year apparently the amount of work youv to do is crazy so.. can only look forward to that.

As regards the subject to do, I would have done, Physics, Chemistry, Engineering would be handy but not essential. As for art, meh!!, not so much really, DCG would be useful, like if youd all of them youd be at a slight advantage, but if you dont have any them youd still be fine with a tiny bit of work, of those i only did DCG and Physics so .... Also even though they say they teach you to draw, YOU NEED TO BE ABLE TO DRAW, to a reasonably good degree anyway, but if your **** at drawing then you really arnt going to do so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭CFC4lyfe

Thanks for the answers :)

Sounds a bit tough considering I didn't take on any of the "handy" subjects in the Leaving Cert in relation to the course. Tech & Graph would be the one that would worry me as I haven't done it since JC as I didn't take it up for LC.

Good insight into the course and it does sound like a heavy workload, but interesting at the same time! Thanks again!

you really dont need tech graph, its 100% free hand drawing, its just in second year we use Solid Works on computer and thats whats used in Leaving Cert DCG too, hardly anyone in my year has Tech Graph so would worry about that

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

Well i was wondering could anyone give me some advice on this course. I am not that artistic but iv a fair interest in engineering and dcg, i was under the impression that this course involved the design of various items and whatnot .. am i right? do i need a artistic side ? if not could anyone suggest other courses in the ul? and ones that i dont need hons maths for

being artistic isnt the be all an end all, like whatever **** your designing has to look "nice" really its just a personal thing i think having a slight artistic touch is an advantage. although the main task your design projects are about coming up with solutions to problems, if your a good problem solver then youll do very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Well i was wondering could anyone give me some advice on this course. I am not that artistic but iv a fair interest in engineering and dcg, i was under the impression that this course involved the design of various items and whatnot .. am i right? do i need a artistic side ? if not could anyone suggest other courses in the ul? and ones that i dont need hons maths for

I am leaving this course after 3 semesters and I can confidently say that unless you really like sketching/drawing then don't do it, the engineering side of it is not in-depth, and hops from topic to topic each semester (the electronics module in first year in particular is a joke). Additionally in my opinion the technical modules are not done in a logical order, especially the math ones.
    Its also heavily oversubscribed, so getting feedback in a timely manner (or at all) on stuff like lab reports and coursework just doesn't happen as the lecturers are all run ragged.

If you want to do CAD or digital design realise that you wont be doing anything but hand drawing until the third semester, and the real focus is on hand drawing skills. The workload involved in the design modules is serious if you want to be any good

Its a good course and the content is very interesting, but it is not an engineering course really. I was told this before i started and didn't listen and have wasted two years of btea and grant/fees now and really regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭sibby

Would you need to be very good at free hand drawing or will there be help in the studio sessions to improve your free hand drawing skills?

:)

There will be plenty of help if you ask for it, but if you dont have a reasonable aptitude for sketching to begin with then then you will find it tough because sketching is the way you present your ideas.. but its basic line sketching, your not gonna have to turn out master pencil drawings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

sibby wrote: »
    Would you need to be very good at free hand drawing or will there be help in the studio sessions to improve your free hand drawing skills?

:)

In my opinion its something you're either good at or not, you can put in the hours to get up to an acceptable standard but unless you have a natural flair for it you'll never get that last 10% to be great.

You get help and the TAs with this years first years seem very good, but ultimately its your own hand-eye coordination that's key. no pencils, rulers, compasses or stencils allowed in first year. everything is in pen and freehand so if you **** up you start over.

The workload from all the other modules is intense too and if you're spending all your time sketching you'll suffer in other areas.

If you're thinking of going for this course spend some time watching videos on http://vimeo.com/channels/idsketching and practising to see if you like it.

Advertisement