Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Product design

Options
  • 18-11-2012 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Ok, so this looks like quite an interesting course to me and as I have a strong interest in falling into a "creative career" out of here, I must say this course catches my eye.

However I'd like to know what school subjects would be used in the course structure as I done Maths, English, Irish, History, Accountancy, Art and French. I'd imagine that those aren't the best of subjects to head into the course with so was wondering if it'd be a mistake to go ahead with doing it?

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Hi, I did product design a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I went in having done Enlish, Irish, Maths, French, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Applied Maths however there were people from all sorts of background. In first and second year we did maths and science which I found very easy as the maths covered a lot of the honours maths course from the leaving cert that I had already done and the science had some overlap with the physics. I think the art should have some good overlap in terms of the creative side you will be doing but also be aware that there is a good bit of a technical aspect to the course which comes from an engineering view.

In first year we did design histroy which may be of interest from your history and art side but not hugely. Have you looked athe course outline and the subjects you will cover, I found that a help as well as going to the open day in making my decision. From what I am aware of in Oroduct Design courses in Ireland the different universities and college come from a different aspect, product design in DIT has an emphesis on real products, engineering, and manufacturing while NCAD for example are more experimental and come drom an almost philisophical view of product design. A lot of DIT graduates go on to work in medical design, graphic design, design studios, or going on to further studies. I for example have gone on to do a dual masters in Sustainability, Technology and innovation and I know other students in my year have gone on to Bio-Engineering, and Profesional Design Practice.

The following websites will give yuo a bit of an overview of the kind of things you will do. The designdit website will show you the final year projects worked on by my graduating year so you get an idea of the outcome.

The program has developed over the years to improve itself and update itself too. Some of the years after me did mor emodules on electronics and things too

http://www.designdit.com/

http://www.dit.ie/study/undergraduate/programmes/dt001/

If you have anym ore questions just ask.

Advertisement