Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MNSCI Christmas Open Shoot. 8th & 9th December.

• 18-11-2012 1:47am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The Midlands National Shooting Centre of Ireland are holding a Christmas open shoot on December 8th, and 9th.

The exact details such as disciplines, course of fire, times, fees, etc will be announced as soon as the finer details have been finalised. For the moment i can say it will consist of:
    • 50 mtr Benchrest.
    • 50 mtr falling plates. (Timed)
    • 200 & 300 yard Classic rifle.
    • 200 & 300 yard Hunting rifle.
    • Target rifle.
    • F-Class (900 & 1,000 yards)
    • Match Rifle.
    • 1,200 yard "bullseye" shoot.
    • Fullbore Benchrest @ 1,000 yards. (Smallest group).

The event will take place over two days with rimfire competitions being held over both days, and other events split between Saturday, and Sunday.

As soon as i have the days of each discipline, and times of each shoot i'll post them.

As an open competition everyone is welcome. All that is needed is a current/valid firearm license for the firearm being used, and insurance which must be presented at the clubhouse upon arrival.

More details as i get them.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Question...... what if you're still waiting on your licence approval/renewa but ya have the letter of receipt of application from the gardai? will that do?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It is the same as you going to your own range and shooting while in this position. I'm sure they allow you to continue shooting while the new licenses are being processed?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

True..... tx

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Ezridax wrote: »
    • 50 mtr falling plates. (Timed)

What's the rough course of fire for this? I might see if I can do it with a single shot bolt action. :pac:

It's five plates and you have five rounds. You win based on time taken to knock all five plates. AFAK it's part of the rimfire event, and not a separate event on it's own. So if you do well with the plates you still have to do well with the paper targets.

It's aimed mostly towards bolt actions (afaik), but if there are enough entries for semi-autos then a second category can be run too. Not fair to put a semi auto up against a bolt action.

• Advertisement

It's five plates and you have five rounds. You win based on time taken to knock all five plates. AFAK it's part of the rimfire event, and not a separate event on it's own. So if you do well with the plates you still have to do well with the paper targets.

Ah right. I was thinking of using my regular sights for that event and borrowing a scope to do the other ones (since the aiming marks on paper will probably be unusable for my sights).

IRLConor wrote: »
    ....... (since the aiming marks on paper will probably be unusable for my sights).
    With the targets ye normally shoot in mind, the sghts most likely will not suit the "standard" targets.

With the targets ye normally shoot at they most likely will not suit the "standard" targets.

Are the targets you're talking about the ones with the thin black ring around the outside and a black dot in the middle? Roughly the same size as the 6 bull cards I use? They might be doable with my sights, I've shot at them before.

If I have to use a scope, I will. I just don't like using them. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

I hope to have my .22 in time for this. Looks like it will be a busy weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I was just wondering the 50m falling plates. What is the format for this and what kind of target is it? That would be fantastic to shoot with open sights.:D:D
    And the 200/300 What size target would that be? I have'nt really shot my lever action that far and i think it would be interesting to do with the red dot.:)

• Advertisement

juice1304 wrote: »
    I was just wondering the 50m falling plates. What is the format for this and what kind of target is it? That would be fantastic to shoot with open sights.:D:D
    Standard falling plates. Pretty sure they are simple square targets. Not the "chickens", etc from days past. The open sights would be great craic. Might even be simpler/easier.
    And the 200/300 What size target would that be? I have'nt really shot my lever action that far and i think it would be interesting to do with the red dot.:)
    Don't want to give too much away. ;)

We used to do the STAGS type shoots at 100 yards, however we have altered the format. I can say there will be unlimited blow off shots, and "snap" targets. Any rifle, any caliber with front bipod/bag ONLY. NO back bag. As close to field conditions as possible. 5 shots per distance to score (not counting blow off shots). 10 shots in total needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Not trying to ruin it but do you think i could manage to get onto the target with a 2moa dot?:) PM me if you like

At 200 you should be fine, but at 300 it might push you.

Worth a bash though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Should be up for the 200/300 hunting rifle, definitely.

Thinking of having a crack at the hunting myself. That and the 1,200 yard shoot. For kicks and giggles.

Haven't tried the Hybrids at 1,200 so will be interesting to see how they perform at the distance. All the ballistics say they should be maintaining supersonic speeds at 1,200.

With that new RPA of yours? Total cheatery! :p May have to drag the .25 down tomorrow now and confirm zero and drop at both distances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

I use my FTR rifle for hunting. Can I use that? :D

Errmmmmmm, how about no.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭patsat

Errmmmmmm, how about no.:p

What determines whether a rifle is a hunting or target rifle??

There is no real rule/guideline for what makes a rifle hunting or target. I was only taking the urine out of dev110.

I'm sure he can use his FTR rifle (it's not up to me), but it'll need a standard bipod, and no back bag like the rest if the rifles.

At these distances (200 & 300 yards) a lot of hunting rifles will keep up with target rifles due to the style of the comp/course of fire. Look at the STAGS shoots. Always won by a hunter with a hunting rifle. Suited exactly to the purpose, and style of comp.

• Advertisement

So here is the itinerary for the two days.

Saturday December 8th.

Discipline | Distance | Description/Notes | Start Time | Duration | Entrance Fee | Re-entry |
    .22lr Benchrest | 50 mtrs | Normal Benchrest rules apply | 10:30 am | 4.5 hrs | €5 | Yes |
    .22lr F-Class | 100 mtrs | All shot in prone position, Unlimited sighters, best score over the 2 days wins | 10:30 am | 4.5 hrs | €5 | Yes |
    .22lr Falling Plates | 50 mtrs | Bolt action rifles, 5 shots for 5 plates, Fastest time over the 2 days wins | 10:30 am | 4.5 hrs | €2 or 3 entries for €5 | Yes -Unlimited re-entries |
    Centrefire Benchrest | 200 yards | Any Rifle, Unlimited Sighters, Smallest group over the 2 days wins | 10:30 am | 4.5 hrs | €5 | Yes |
    Centrefire Hunting Rifle | 200 & 300 yards | Prone, Rested (on front only), 2 Sighters, and 5 scoring shots at 5 snap targets (last entries accepted at 11am | 11 am | 3 hrs| €20 |
    Historical Rifle | 200 & 300 yards | Pre 1945 rifles only, Iron sights only, Prone, Rested (on front only), 2 Sighters, and 5 scoring shots at 5 snap targets (last entries accepted at 11am | 11 am | 3 hrs | €20 |
    Target Rifle | 900 & 1,000 yards | Normal TR rules apply | 9 am | 1.5 hrs | €20 + Range fee | No |

Hunting and Historical rifles events will close for entries at 11am sharp. First detail will also start at 11 am sharp. No exceptions. So please arrive early/on time to avoid disappointment.

Presentations for Hunting rifle, Historical rifle, and Target rifles events will take place in the clubhouse at 2:30 pm.

Sunday December 9th.

Discipline | Distance | Description/Notes | Start Time | Duration | Entrance Fee | Re-entry |
    .22lr Benchrest | 50 mtrs | Normal Benchrest rules apply | 10:30 am | 4.5 hrs | €5 | Yes |
    .22lr F-Class | 100 mtrs | All shot in prone position, Unlimited sighters, best score over the 2 days wins | 10:30 am | 3.5 hrs | €5 | Yes |
    .22lr Falling Plates | 50 mtrs | Bolt action rifles, 5 shots for 5 plates, Fastest time over the 2 days wins | 10:30 am | 3.5 hrs | €2 or 3 entries for €5 | Yes -Unlimited re-entries |
    Centrefire Benchrest | 200 yards | Any Rifle, Unlimited Sighters, Smallest group over the 2 days wins | 10:30 am | 3.5 hrs | €5 | Yes |
    Match Rifle | 1,200 yards | 2 & 15, Normal rules apply | 9:30 am | 30 minutes | €20 + range fee | No |
    F-Class | 900 & 1,000 yards | 2 & 15, Normal F-Clas rules apply, String shooting | 10:30 am | 2.5 hrs | €20 + Range fee | No |
    Benchrest | 1,000 yards | 2 x 5 shot groups, smallest 5 SHOT group to win | 1 pm | 1 hr | €10 | Yes |
    1,200 yard Claybuster | 1,200 yards | 5 shots to hit a clay, Prize for each winner, F-class rules apply to rigs/ahooting | 1pm | 1 hr | €5 | Yes |

Presentations for all remaining competitions will be made in the clubhouse at 2:30 pm.There will be prizes for all competitions. This is an open competition ( to members, and non members alike) BUT you must bring firearms permits, insurance and ID.

Entries can be made on the day. Please be on time to avoid disappointment.

====================================================================================================================

Important Notice.

F-Class, Target Rifle, Match Rifle, CF Benchrest and 1,200 Clay Shoot must be pre booked before day of competition (very important as no entry will be accepted on the day without prior notice).

All enqueries to JP 086 8232641 OR email jpcraven@eircom.net

====================================================================================================================

This is a fun shoot, and should be a great day out with something to suit everyone's tastes. Hope to see you all there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

As the add says "BUGGER" I'll miss the Sunday.... :(

Same as last year ... I'll be playing Santa for a youth group all day Sunday ... F*%K my rounded shape ...

Same as last year ... I'll be playing Santa for a youth group all day Sunday ......
    A good cause lad, and a perfectly valid reason not to make though. Kudos for doing it.
    F*%K my rounded shape
    I once was told i was too fat to play Santa. Beat that.:o:D
    ............. I'll miss the Sunday.... :(
    TBH, i'm half looking at Saturday more than Sunday. After shooting F-Class all year long it's nice to have a bit of fun. The 22 stuff, hunting rifle, and 200 BR looks like good craic.

After saying that i'm definitely going to give that claybuster thing a whack. Really want to see the FTR run at 1,200.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Cheers EZ,

Might try my AI in the bench rest and hopefully the 223 in the hunting rifle on the Saturday...

would of loved the clay buster ... but, thats the way...

Deadly! Should be down on the saturday. Was hoping the hunting rifle shoot wouldn't clash with my other plans. In a similar vein to fish slapped, I'm running a race in a Santa suit on the sunday.

ooh count myself and homerhop in for the BR 22 in HV and LV and the 200 CF - not sure which day yet tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭clivej

Question on this detail

Centrefire Benchrest 200 yards Any Rifle, Unlimited Sighters, Smallest group over the 2 days wins

What is the number of rounds in 1 group to count????

5 shots clivej.

To elaborate. you may fire sighters to get the zero, and read the conditions. Then you have 5 shots, consecutively, and the group is measured.

I'm assuming that as it's any caliber that they will measure the group, subtract the caliber, and then give each group an MOA rather than inch/mm measurement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 TaytoShadow

Fingers crossed I will have my .223 aquired and set up by the time this is on!

Just a question on the Hunting rifle comp? What are the snap targets?? I have never taken part in a shoot so I don't know!

• Advertisement

Snap targets is when you are on the firing line, and given the command to make ready (to shoot, but there is no target infront of you. The target then "appears", and you have a limited amount of time to fire either one or all your allotted shots before the target "disappears".

It's great craic, and really tests your ability to fire quickly, and accurately. Vry much like when out hunting and you fire a shot at a deer, and quickly reload to make sure you are ready for a follow up shot if necessary.

Advertisement