Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shortage of second hand parts?

Options
  • 18-11-2012 1:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed that there are not many second hand pc parts for sale on adverts or even ebay.
    I'm on the lookout for a graphics card for a friend and the lack of second parts seems to have pushed prices up.
    If the card sells for about €200 it will sell for €170 second hand with loads of people making offers, so I might as well tell him to buy new.
    Before there was always serious bargains to be had second hand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

tuxy wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed that there are not many second hand pc parts for sale on adverts or even ebay.
    I'm on the lookout for a graphics card for a friend and the lack of second parts seems to have pushed prices up.
    If the card sells for about €200 it will sell for €170 second hand with loads of people making offers, so I might as well tell him to buy new.
    Before there was always serious bargains to be had second hand.
    yea problem with people not having money is not enough people upgrading and then the ones that do buy second hand to save any cash they can :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Not much of a point to upgrade lately. if you had half decent last gen cars chances are you are not missing out much on this gen. for example something like 6870 is a very nice and strong card even by todays standard so poeple just dont upgrade, so there are not many second hand parts.

not a single game pushed hardware to its limits for 1080p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yeah I guess so. However with 120hz monitors you would think more people would want to update. You can't run bf3 ultra 1080p @120 fps on a 6870.

My friend uses adobe video editing software so could do with the cuda cores but also wants to game. A gtx 560ti would be perfect but they seem to go for 160 second hand.
    A gtx 650ti is a bit under powered. A 660 is probably overkill but is a good bit faster than a 560ti , 200 new so only 40 more than a second hand 560ti.

I just don't understand why a 560ti is so expensive second hand(if you can even find one) when a 660 is not much more new.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Grandmasha_Yoda

Couldn't agree with you more. Am on the look out for second hand parts to build a pc myself, and the market is VERY poor. Frustrating especially when you're on a limited budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Seems like people are looking for crazy money for old parts. A year ago it wasn't so bad. Cheaper to build new in many cases now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

You can't blame people for pricing parts so high because some people are paying it. But yes I have seen some second hand stuff on adverts go for more than it costs new, crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

you have to be patient on adverts. alot of stuff up there from fellas trying to make a few quid of second hand stuff. But you also have the genuine guys just trying to sell stuff cause they are upgrading or trying something different.

This stuff can be got at a reasonable price but more importantly you are getting a second hand product you know has been looked after. There are a few sellers there that I always keep an eye on cause I know their stuff is genuine

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

deejer wrote: »
    you have to be patient on adverts. alot of stuff up there from fellas trying to make a few quid of second hand stuff. But you also have the genuine guys just trying to sell stuff cause they are upgrading or trying something different.

This stuff can be got at a reasonable price but more importantly you are getting a second hand product you know has been looked after. There are a few sellers there that I always keep an eye on cause I know their stuff is genuine

One of those genuine guys is me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Dcully wrote: »
    One of those genuine guys is me :)

Your PC for sale link ain't working Dcully ;)

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Your PC for sale link ain't working Dcully ;)

-

Jaysus why is that?
    Just logged out and i couldnt see it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement