Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Names for private parts

Options
  • 18-11-2012 6:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭

My 2 year old knows that he has a 'willy' . He has already being asking where his newborn sister's willy is. I told him she didn't have one, that only he and daddy have one.
    I know the next question will be 'what does she have?'. But actually don't know what to call her vagina. What is the usual name ?- not crude obviously. Can't remember what my mum used to say.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Not being smart here, but why not just call it a vagina? (Or vulva if you want to be anatomically correct)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/jan/31/family-problems-solved

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

For goodness sake just say "vulva" and don't teach "chu-chu" for train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Using odd names just teaches toddlers theres something unusual about their penis/vagina.

Do you think these words are rude op?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭angelfalling

That's what they are. It's a penis and a vagina. There is nothing crude about calling them by the names they are meant to be called. Boys (like daddy and you) have penises, girls and mommies have vaginas. Easy. My kids know them that way and there isn't a problem. Don't pass on insecurities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

Button for vagina.......................... and Tail for willy wagger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

when i was small we were told boys had willys and girls had lillys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Irish society has a huge problem here. Its a vagina and a penis.
    Any women I have met has a huge problem with this or infact any other name given to the vagina, which leads me to believe its not the name that is the problem but our attitude to 'that area'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Squ- no I don't think they are rude. I was simply looking for a common euphemism that isn't crude like fanny or many more.

off topic - Angelfalling - I don't have insecurities, perhaps you do as you obviously feel the need to judge someone for asking a lighthearted question.

I don't have a problem with using the words penis or vagina/vulva but personally I think that sounds too grown up for toddlers. I don't insist that he calls me mother instead of mammy or ask him if he needs to urinate or defecate or if he has a sore maximus gluteus.

I think willy seems to be an acceptable euphemism for penis and I was simply wondering what is the usual euphemism used for vagina. Any helpful answers from parents of toddlers would be appreciated.

Squ- no I don't think they are rude. I was simply looking for a common euphemism that isn't crude like fanny or many more.

off topic - Angelfalling - I don't have insecurities, perhaps you do as you obviously feel the need to judge someone for asking a lighthearted question.

I don't have a problem with using the words penis or vagina/vulva but personally I think that sounds too grown up for toddlers. I don't insist that he calls me mother instead of mammy or ask him if he needs to urinate or defecate or if he has a sore maximus gluteus.

I think willy seems to be an acceptable euphemism for penis and I was simply wondering what is the usual euphemism used for vagina. Any helpful answers from parents of toddlers would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

This sounds so ridiculous as I even type it... I didn't think I would be the one going down the baby names for things. But, as our toddler isn't great with her diction yet, and she loves to name body parts in the bath, we have a name we can contribute. :)

She calls it Front Bum.

She also calls her elbows knees though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I've heard people refer to it as minnie ..I dunno why lol

Id be the same as the op....I've never heard a toddler say vagina so we're obviously not too much in the minority.

I don't think what you call it is the issue...they've no ideas of the correct names so they're not drawing any negativity whether you say vagina or Minnie. its how you talk with them about it....ie answering questions frankly and encouraging them to talk about whatever body part they like.

We call my guy's Willy his peppy ...I dunno where it came from...I just said it one day and it stuck lol. he hasn't asked what mine is called he just knows boys have peppys and girls don't.

He also calls his stomach his tummy...his hands his handies and his nose his snout....they're just different things he has different names for...no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

pwurple wrote: »
    This sounds so ridiculous as I even type it... I didn't think I would be the one going down the baby names for things. But, as our toddler isn't great with her diction yet, and she loves to name body parts in the bath, we have a name we can contribute. :)

She calls it Front Bum.

Yeah it was also referred to as front bum in our house by me and my older sister when she was younger. Didn't do us any harm :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

pwurple wrote: »

My wife still calls her toes, fingers...they are all fingers in her native language:D

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Play Bunny

Front bum.....& ding a ling

I've heard people refer to it as minnie ..I dunno why lol

Id be the same as the op....I've never heard a toddler say vagina so we're obviously not too much in the minority.

Maybe because Mickey and Minnie go together;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

Mostly our two refer to it as their 'girls bum' as opposed to Daddy who has a 'boys bum' (I had to come up with something quickly when they asked one morning what was that floppy thing when he was on the way into the shower!). When we're dealing with bathroom stuff and toilet training 'front bum and back bum' for clarity in where they are meant to be cleaning (while of course they are just trying to TP the bathroom).

I'd suggest not complicating it, just find something simple that you are comfortable with and the kids will accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Maybe because Mickey and Minnie go together;-)

I never new that!

I would never had contemplated calling them penis and vagina, but I need a plan in the next few weeks as my girl is 2.

I would have said willy and front bum.

My partner has names I have never heard of, each one worse than the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DBK

Hootin

Short for Hootin Annie....rhymes with..eh....*American for bum :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

That's what they are. It's a penis and a vagina. There is nothing crude about calling them by the names they are meant to be called. Boys (like daddy and you) have penises, girls and mommies have vaginas. Easy. My kids know them that way and there isn't a problem. Don't pass on insecurities.
    Except it's not a vagina, it's a vulva...
    Vagina is more accepted than vulva.
    I have a little girl and I'd rather call it a crazy name like 'fanny' rather than vagina, which is technically wrong.
    I think I shall start a trend and tell her it's her vulva and if people are shocked then let them be shocked.
    I've noticed that it's much more common to hear boys refer to their penis than girls refer to their vulvas. Another example of how women are over sexualized and therefore their parts must not be named.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

lounakin wrote: »
    Except it's not a vagina, it's a vulva...
    Vagina is more accepted than vulva.
    I have a little girl and I'd rather call it a crazy name like 'fanny' rather than vagina, which is technically wrong.
    I think I shall start a trend and tell her it's her vulva and if people are shocked then let them be shocked.
    I've noticed that it's much more common to hear boys refer to their penis than girls refer to their vulvas. Another example of how women are over sexualized and therefore their parts must not be named.
    I disagree re oversexualisation.But i agree parents are less likely to suggest a name for a girl's bits.But a penis is an obvious appendage with an obvious function-urination whereas vulva not so much-a girl cant particularly see where the pee comes from. I imagine a boy is more likely to ask what is this because its so in your face. So from not needing to ever talk about ones vulva it maybe becomes more awkward should you randomly have to-an injury?!Hence parents being unsure what to actually call it...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

I studied early childhood studies and one of our lecturers told us one day to "never give a child a name for something that isn't its actual name" and how she felt it was "so ridicules to hear a child refer to a train as a choo choo". I personally think its ridicules, I had all sorts of crazy names for things when I was a child, it really didn't do me any harm. I don't believe this whole thing of if you choose to give your child a particular name for parts of their body its going to make them uncomfortable with them. I had names for different parts of my body I don't go round now saying "My bubballo (bum) looks big in these jeans".
    Why don't you wait til she asks you what her vagina is called and ask her "what do you think its called?" and take it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

Roselm wrote: »
    I disagree re oversexualisation.But i agree parents are less likely to suggest a name for a girl's bits.But a penis is an obvious appendage with an obvious function-urination whereas vulva not so much-a girl cant particularly see where the pee comes from. I imagine a boy is more likely to ask what is this because its so in your face. So from not needing to ever talk about ones vulva it maybe becomes more awkward should you randomly have to-an injury?!Hence parents being unsure what to actually call it...?
    How could you not agree? Just look at basically everything around you!
    Women are so sexualised in our society that even breastfeeding in public is an issue, they sell g-strings for 8 year-olds so our little girls can walk around with a perfect looking bum in their tight jeans? Insane... a bit off topic :)
    Anyway, I think girls are just as likely to ask even if it seems less prone to injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

All the folks saying "Just call it a Vagina/vulva" - what do you get your kids to say instead of pee and poo? Urine and Faeces? what about Farts? Ha?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

All the folks saying "Just call it a Vagina/vulva" - what do you get your kids to say instead of pee and poo? Urine and Faeces? what about Farts? Ha?

Pee, poo and farts- non-euphemistic terms used by all ages in private and public conversation. Not the same thing at all, at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Call it what it is. Anything else suggests there is something to be ashamed of.

Oh, and I was taught, "boys have willies, girls have gees". I don't pass that on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Yoni.

Yoni is the Sanskrit word for the vagina and it's several thousand years old.
    It's easy to say, soft sounding and with out most negative references.

Also really it should be penis and vulva if you want to go down that naming road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Right yesterday I taught my 2 year old Vulva and penis.

But I forgot I had already named my breasts boobies as I spent February and March trying to get her brother to latch!

So this morning I was told 'Dats your bra for your boobies, mammy'

So tomorrow, I ghave to convince her breasts is the new name.

She does call a train a choo choo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

MrCreosote wrote: »
    Pee, poo and farts- non-euphemistic terms used by all ages in private and public conversation. Not the same thing at all, at all.
    It is the same thing. I still call my penis my willy and my gluteus maximus my arse and my wifes breasts her boobs.

And for goodness sake, there is certainly nothing wrong with a toddler calling a train a choo choo. Way to take the joy out of toddlerdom!

Call the penis a willy, call the vulva a foo foo and call the arse a bum bum, make a point of any the family walking around the house in the nip as perfectly normal, encourage questions and nobody will grow up to be insecure about anything. Done ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Personally I think children are thrust into the adult world far too early these days. Children are children for such a short time so for me my son will have a willy & if he asks girls have a no willy but a front bum instead. He'll learn the 'correct' terms for these ( and other parts of the body ) as he gets older & approaches puberty & I will not shy away from any questions he might ask. For now though it's willy, front bum & boobies just like a dog is a doggie, a car is a mow mow & his soother is a doodie ;-)

Advertisement