Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sales training course

Options
  • 18-11-2012 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am trying to help a young chap who is unemployed to get his career on track. Does anyone know of a decent FAS supported sales training course in South Dublin? The only one on the FAS website is Retail Sales, looking for something more specific to outside sales rep.

Cheers

Peter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jasonpat

How long is this training course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

jasonpat wrote: »
    How long is this training course.

I am looking for course recommendations!!

Peter

Peter the best sales training is those Cobra companies/marketing promo companies that send people door to door etc. I started my career there 10 years ago (and left 3 weeks later) but the sales training was exceptional, it also made me a lot tougher and really showed me what I needed to do to close more sales then the next guy. A year after leaving that place I had my own company and 3000 door to door sales all completed myself.

Peter the best sales training is those Cobra companies/marketing promo companies that send people door to door etc. I started my career there 10 years ago (and left 3 weeks later) but the sales training was exceptional, it also made me a lot tougher and really showed me what I needed to do to close more sales then the next guy. A year after leaving that place I had my own company and 3000 door to door sales all completed myself.

Great job on turning your time investment in a successful business of your own. It does seem a bit drastic and not sure my chap would be tough enough for it tbh! However, it is a great idea, how comprehensive was the actual training or was it just doled out on the job or just try to find a patter that worked for you as you went along. I think those who can make a go of this type of work, could make a go of anything! I really admire you attitude and work ethic.

Cheers

Peter

The training was pretty comprehensive. They have a Cobra "system" which involves you learning off these various sales steps, and how to structure a sales pitch. How to move in to close a sale and so on.
    Each morning they have a training session where everyone discuss whats working and whats not working and they constantly improve the pitch. These kinds of things can fit into any sales system
    In the beginning you go out shadowing people.

I think the biggest thing I learned was building rapport with people very fast. Because if you cant do that quickly in that field the door is gona close very quick.

Anyone who worked for companies like that for any period of time and actually made a few sales will tell you the things they instill in you are never forgotten and stand to you forever. I went on to sell my company less then three years later to the biggest telco in the world at the time.

Yes you need to be pretty tough to get through it, the first door i tried i forgot to close the gate and the guy came out calling me an effing c***! First and hardest one I ever did. That kind of stuff will make a man out of you :D

• Advertisement

The training was pretty comprehensive. They have a Cobra "system" which involves you learning off these various sales steps, and how to structure a sales pitch. How to move in to close a sale and so on.
    Each morning they have a training session where everyone discuss whats working and whats not working and they constantly improve the pitch. These kinds of things can fit into any sales system
    In the beginning you go out shadowing people.

I think the biggest thing I learned was building rapport with people very fast. Because if you cant do that quickly in that field the door is gona close very quick.

Anyone who worked for companies like that for any period of time and actually made a few sales will tell you the things they instill in you are never forgotten and stand to you forever. I went on to sell my company less then three years later to the biggest telco in the world at the time.

Yes you need to be pretty tough to get through it, the first door i tried i forgot to close the gate and the guy came out calling me an effing c***! First and hardest one I ever did. That kind of stuff will make a man out of you :D

I have no idea what the Cobra sales technique is but if it is a bespoke door to door type similar to the old Golden/yellow pages method selling system, it is not what I am looking for. It simply does not work any more in the b2b sector, look how skinny the Golden Pages are now.
    In the US for the past 10 years or so Consultative Sales is where it is at, the salesperson is a resource to the buyer. The key for the sales person is to deliver that service, and to do so has to dedicate their initial sales effort through planning and lead/contact management along with professional selling skills to get into that seat. And of course it often comes down to asking for the order, using the alternative choice close or simply one by one overcoming the customer objections and building the trust factor.

Great sales people are not born, it is a learned skill. I seek a course that teaches these fundamentals.

Cheers

Peter

El Rifle, you are a truly rare individual. Pity there are not tons more out there like you!

I would agree with a lot of the stuff you've said there Peter. Lead building etc needs to be trained, account management etc. However in my view these are the easier things in sales and can be trained in a matter of weeks. The most important thing is getting the attitude right. I hire sales people nowadays with attitude being the top criteria, because they can get up to speed on tactics and details pretty fast

The Cobra stuff is not a bespoke system in my view its more like the building blocks/basics of successful sales strategy that can be applied to a variety of things. The human aspects, smiling, eye contact and the verbal skills of your pitch its clarity, delivery and so on. Constantly tweaking it to perfection.

The attitude obviously a lot harder to train but can definitely be improved depending on the environment your in. Being thrown into the mix amongst a load of competitive people could help a guy who has been unemployed for a while and is maybe lacking a bit of confidence.

I suppose it depends on the person in question and if he is a young guy who hasnt been around the block. Probably not suitable for someone with experience.

If he has lots of experience already I would suggest a course on how to use Linkedin properly and similar sites. I saw you had a post regarding linkedin last week, for me it is the single greatest website out there. I have done lots of business through it, most recently closing a deal to push justin bieber/lady gaga toothbrushes in all largest toy stores in scandinavia. If you can figure out how to use it and put the time into it, all the potential leads you need are there for pretty much every type of business.
    Think of it this way in the most basic terms - you identify a company you want to target. With an upgraded account you can search by job title and find the person you need in that company and either connect online or call the office now that you know who to look for. Makes thing a hell of a lot easier

Thanks for the compliment by the way, I grew up in sandycove right next door to you, I'll look you up next time im back!

Advertisement