Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ticketmaster

Options
  • 18-11-2012 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

A word of caution:

I bought 2 tickets online for The Wall next September from Ticketmaster on Friday.

Unbeknown to me at the time, I also paid €9 for 'missed event insurance' from AGA International. I didn't tick any box authorising this payment, but also admit I didn't read the 'small print' about this impending charge unless I ( I am guessing here) unticked some box.

I am fuming and will be making phone calls tomorrow to get this policy reversed.

Just mentioning this in case anyone else might get caught.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Apparently they offer insurance from Mondial which is part of AGA International (Allianz Global Assistance) but I see no up front mention of it on Ticketmaster.ie.

http://onsale-ticketmaster.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37398/~/what-is-mondial-missed-event-insurance%3F
    What is Mondial Missed Event Insurance and why have I been charged for it?

Mondial Missed Event Insurance is new to customers of Ticketmaster Ireland and is an option people can choose if they wish to take out cover on an event.

The option to add Mondial Missed Event Insurance is at the final stage of your booking. Here you will be given the option to opt in (yes) or opt out (no).

If you do not choose either option, it will default to no and you will not be charged. If you choose yes, you will be charged the advised amount dependant on your ticket price.

Mondial do offer a 14 day cooling off period in which you may cancel the cover and be refunded the charge paid provided that your event has not already taken place. You must however contact them directly on 01 637 3617 or if you are calling from the UK dial 020 8666 9562. Their opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.

The cost of insurance is dependant on the cost of the tickets. The insurance will not carry over for other events you book, it is only applied to the event when you select it at the time of purchase.

We apologise for any inconvenience the inclusion of missed event insurance may have caused you, we hope that the above provides a resolution to your query.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Le_Dieux wrote: »

Thanks for the warning. Ticketmaster fees are already ridiculous without adding in hidden charges. Those 'already ticked' boxes should be illegal, it is very easy to miss them (especially on Ticketmaster where you might be in a rush to buy tickets before they sell out). I hope you get your refund.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Mondial do offer a 14 day cooling off period in which you may cancel the cover and be refunded the charge paid provided that your event has not already taken place. You must however contact them directly on 01 637 3617 or if you are calling from the UK dial 020 8666 9562. Their opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.

Good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

A word of caution:

I bought 2 tickets online for The Wall next September from Ticketmaster on Friday.

Unbeknown to me at the time, I also paid €9 for 'missed event insurance' from AGA International. I didn't tick any box authorising this payment, but also admit I didn't read the 'small print' about this impending charge unless I ( I am guessing here) unticked some box.

I am fuming and will be making phone calls tomorrow to get this policy reversed.

If they won't remove the charge, use your cooling off period to cancel the transaction. Then purchase again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

didnt they pull up Ryanair over that who pre-ticked box thing as well.
    not sure which authority would be responsible for this, but definitely worth following up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

RangeR wrote: »
    If they won't remove the charge, use your cooling off period to cancel the transaction. Then purchase again.

Hah, cooling off period is fine except each page you are on on TM, is timed, doesn't give You a whole lot of time.

I got an email from them advising me to phone a Dublin # 01 637 3617. BUT, when I dialled the #, I 'spoke' to a voice recording with options. And guess what? FIRST option was If You wish to cancel your missed event insurance please email blah blah blah. Talk about being led on a merry-go-round.

Also in the email I got, it started Dear (surname)...NO first name or MISTER. And finished with 'we hope you enjoy event' Shocking grammar.

Spoke to a mate of mine who also got caught on this stunt buying rugby tickets from TM. I'm not letting this rest. :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,088 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

A word of caution:

As you will have read in the first reply above you do have to say Yes to incur the charge. And the cooling off period is 14 days.

The option to add Mondial Missed Event Insurance is at the final stage of your booking. Here you will be given the option to opt in (yes) or opt out (no).

If you do not choose either option, it will default to no and you will not be charged. If you choose yes, you will be charged the advised amount dependant on your ticket price.

This is a picture of the page where you have to choose.

http://onsale-ticketmaster.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/280593/0/filename/Mondial.jpg

Eventhough it makes the Yes option a bit more prominent I would not put it in the category of small print and to me it is quite clear. So before you go issuing warnings on the internet are you totally sure you did not opt for Yes?

The alternative is that TM are adding the insurance charge without authorisation to every transaction (or randomly to some transactions) which would be a major scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Just on ticketmaster in general, herself wants to go to alicia keys next May in the O2.
    2 seated tickets in Dublin cost 188 euro.
    2 seated tickets for the same singer in Belfast cost 162.

Thought I'd fire off a quick email to TM asking why the large difference but on their contact us page, there is a list of FAQ's, then a list of alternative contact options, one of which is a bloody fax, but no email address.

Does anyone have an email contact for this shower of f*ckers?

M three wrote: »
    Just on ticketmaster in general, herself wants to go to alicia keys next May in the O2.
    2 seated tickets in Dublin cost 188 euro.
    2 seated tickets for the same singer in Belfast cost 162.

Thought I'd fire off a quick email to TM asking why the large difference but on their contact us page, there is a list of FAQ's, then a list of alternative contact options, one of which is a bloody fax, but no email address.

Does anyone have an email contact for this shower of f*ckers?

I too would like an email address. I bought 2 tickets for The Wall next year, but TM emailed me to say the tickets will be posted out in due course. I don;t have a problem with that, except one of those tickets was a present from Santa and I have nothing to show as a present. I wanted to contact them to ( hopefully) get them to send me anything as proof of a ticket for the Gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

I too would like an email address. I bought 2 tickets for The Wall next year, but TM emailed me to say the tickets will be posted out in due course. I don;t have a problem with that, except one of those tickets was a present from Santa and I have nothing to show as a present. I wanted to contact them to ( hopefully) get them to send me anything as proof of a ticket for the Gig.

They say tickets are posted out up to 2 weeks before the gig.
    In saying that tickets arrived in the post for a gig I'm going to at the end of feb.

You could print off the ticket confirmation email that they would have sent you and give that in an envelop as the christmas present

M three wrote: »
    They say tickets are posted out up to 2 weeks before the gig.
    In saying that tickets arrived in the post for a gig I'm going to at the end of feb.

You could print off the ticket confirmation email that they would have sent you and give that in an envelop as the christmas present

I could, but the confirmation has the cost on it - bit of a bummer imho.

Thanks though for the feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

I could, but the confirmation has the cost on it - bit of a bummer imho.

Thanks though for the feedback.

You could crop the picture from Roger Waters' website and then print it out, might be better than nothing (which I'm pretty sure is what you'll end up with if you're waiting for Ticketmaster to help out)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

What is this about, booked a ticket today, shortly afterwards received an email from Mondial charging me 13.50 euro for something I never subscribed to, phoned Mondial, automated message saying "If this call is in relation to cancelling insurance for the event booked please forward message to them asking to cancel" they are obviously aware of this, is this kind of practice widespread?
    Charles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭mel123

bogman wrote: »
    What is this about, booked a ticket today, shortly afterwards recieved an email from Mondial charging me 13.50 euro for something I never subscribed to, phoned Mondial, automated message saying "If this call is in relation to cancelling insurance for the event booked please forward message to them asking to cancel" they are obviousle aware of this, is this kind of practice widespread?
    Charles

Its a sneaky way of getting you to purchase this via ticketmaster. You automatically have it, until you UNTICK a box to say you dont want it. Happened to me before too, wont be happening again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭01902

thread on this not so long ago seems quite a few people get caught with this.

In fairness to Mondial, I was refunded the full amount for this policy which I never subscribed to.

Doesn't explain the devious ( IMHO) methods all the same or why I was charged this fee in the first place.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Refunded also, very sneaky way of trying to catch people some of who will go with the deal no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

A word of caution:

Just a word of Thanks! I read your thread here and was on the lookout for it then when I purchased my Springsteen tickets. It's been years since I used Ticketmaster I would've probably just scrolled to the end to complete transaction before it timed out, but I was looking out for this - so Cheers :)

bogman wrote: »
    What is this about, booked a ticket today, shortly afterwards received an email from Mondial charging me 13.50 euro for something I never subscribed to, phoned Mondial, automated message saying "If this call is in relation to cancelling insurance for the event booked please forward message to them asking to cancel" they are obviously aware of this, is this kind of practice widespread?
    Charles

Yeah, last page of transactions their was some writing in bold about them and the 'yes' box was pre-selected and you'd to un-tick to avoid the charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

I got caught with this ****e a few weeks back as well. I was purchasing rugby tickets for the autumn internationals and I was clicking thorugh the various screens in order to complete the transaction in the alotted time.

Lo and behold once everything was completed I checked my email and there was an email from ticketmaster and one from Worldpay about the missed event insurance payment.

I contacted the company via email and requested that they cancel the insuarnce and refund the payment immediately which they did.

I've bought a lot of tickets through Ticketmaster over the years and this is the first time I've become aware of this feature of the ordering process. Surely a better (??) way to do it would be to ask you at the end of the transaction (after the event tickets have been paid for) if you want to avail of the insurance. It's a seperate charge on your card from a seperate company so it should not be included with any part of the Ticketmaster transaction right up to the confirmation page IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

So what do you get for your €9 if you do get it? Is it straight forward or if you go try and claim if you missed the gig, are there loads of conditions that make it impossible to get a payout like with those Iphone insurance deals.

mel123 wrote: »
    Its a sneaky way of getting you to purchase this via ticketmaster. You automatically have it, until you UNTICK a box to say you dont want it. Happened to me before too, wont be happening again!!!

Can you post the version of this where you have to untick the box.

http://onsale-ticketmaster.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/280593/0/filename/Mondial.jpg

This is what TM were saying maybe it is out of date.

• Advertisement

So what do you get for your €9 if you do get it? Is it straight forward or if you go try and claim if you missed the gig, are there loads of conditions that make it impossible to get a payout like with those Iphone insurance deals.

Read halfway down the page here under MISSED CONCERTS.

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/dont-fall-victim-to-the-small-print-of-your-insurance-policy-3161633.html

So it's pretty much a scam as I thought it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

This is the UK policy document, I don't expect the Irl one would be much different http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/insurance
    Clicking on the "Learn More" link brings you the policy wording. http://www.magroup-online.com/TMS/GB/EN/TMS_GB_en_TCs.pdf

Just to conclude: I got my tickets in the post on Thursday, so the present issue is resolved. I have had my €9 refunded, so am satisfied.

I just don't like the way the €9 charge is slipped in. I know, it's up to me to look more carefully, but it just slaps of ' trying to nail the consumer' all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭cartom

I've also been caught with this Insurance. I'm really annoyed with ticketmaster, I did not tick any box for this insurance.. Anyone know how long it takes to get a refund. I e-mailed them 5 days ago and it has not been refunded back into my account yet. I have not received any reply from my e-mails.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Strange I've booked tickets many time and either option is never selected? I wonder if it's only done on selected events?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭cartom

cartom wrote: »
    I've also been caught with this Insurance. I'm really annoyed with ticketmaster, I did not tick any box for this insurance.. Anyone know how long it takes to get a refund. I e-mailed them 5 days ago and it has not been refunded back into my account yet. I have not received any reply from my e-mails.:mad:

My refund arrived today:):):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭miss-bored

I got caugh out on this insurance a few months back when buying tickets online. Emailed them straight away and requested refund which I got a few days later. It's redicoulous that ticketmaster get away with sneaking this into the costs. Tickets are already so expensive without paying for this pointless insurance. I'm not impressed with ticketmaster

On slightly better Ticketmaster news, they're getting rid of that very annoying captcha security thingy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21260007

I presume if it's going on their UK site, it'll go here too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭collie0708

Really sly I think ticketmaster is a bit of a rip off already.....

Advertisement