Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ticketmaster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,647 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is anyone having any success getting a refund if you complain?

I know its only 7.50, but its the principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Boxman

I got my money back by emailing missedeventinsurance@mondial-assistance.ie with the policy number.

Don't let them away with it!

(That was a couple of years ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I don't understand why people won't just accept that they mistakenly clicked the 'Yes' button? I mean it's not that big a deal, there's no shame in it. It happens.

What definitely does not happen is the website automatically including the insurance in the price. The dogs on the street know you have to make a point of clicking 'Yes' for it to be included.

I bought tickets for the Aliianz League Final recently and was given the choice....it's not rocket science folks, just say No!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,647 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I don't understand why people won't just accept that they mistakenly clicked the 'Yes' button? I mean it's not that big a deal, there's no shame in it. It happens.

What definitely does not happen is the website automatically including the insurance in the price. The dogs on the street know you have to make a point of clicking 'Yes' for it to be included.

I bought tickets for the Aliianz League Final recently and was given the choice....it's not rocket science folks, just say No!

I can guarantee you 100% I did not check any box, I just went through the normal procedure to buy tickets and checked out.

So the box must have been pre-checked for me. That to me should be illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I didn't select the "yes". I was charge 9 for insurance. I hate companies that do this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

People must click it - I bought an Adele ticket in December and definitely wasn't charged for anything at all except the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I think it is a big deal if there are hundreds, probably thousands of people online reporting the exact same thing. Something is up. I remember having the option once and having to read it twice or more to be sure I was not adding it. There was certainly something purposely dodgy/misleading about it. One UK guy said his issue was that the price did not increase, which people would expect, so as it did not increase he presumed it was not applied.

Ticketmaster most certainly know about this issue and have done absoletely nothing to remedy it, which is of course on purpose as they are certainly getting a cut of the money. Its a confidence trick, they are conartists, it IS a big deal.

They have to pay staff to fix this mess, they must get thousands of calls, but they probably make more money on the con job.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kenny Bania

Why can't people take responsibility for their actions? Read what you are agreeing to. I bought tickets a few days ago on Ticketmaster - I saw the box - and I ticked No. It's really not difficult.

People love blaming someone else for their laziness or mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

People must click it - I bought an Adele ticket in December and definitely wasn't charged for anything at all except the ticket.
    Were you charged the 'venue' fee for the 3 Arena? I've noticed this now for gigs there.

Surely they are already paid for the rental of the venue? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

Wheety wrote: »
    Were you charged the 'venue' fee for the 3 Arena? I've noticed this now for gigs there.

Surely they are already paid for the rental of the venue? :rolleyes:

Yup. I did wonder about that. Something like "pays for maintenance and development" or some s***e. What was the other 90 odd quid for then?!

• Advertisement

Why can't people take responsibility for their actions? Read what you are agreeing to. I bought tickets a few days ago on Ticketmaster - I saw the box - and I ticked No. It's really not difficult.

I recognise it was a mistake. My mistake. However, I think it is unfair that the website is set up so as to make the probability of mistakes higher than they ought to be.

I got my money back. No harm done, but I see this as a sharp practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kenny Bania

D9Male wrote: »
    I recognise it was a mistake. My mistake. However, I think it is unfair

We know that Ticketmaster have done this intentionally - but if people were paying attention rather than clicking "next, next, next" on pages when buying stuff, it wouldn't happen. They're betting on the high probability that people are going through the motions during the purchase process. And they're right.

People need to stop ticking boxes and agreeing to stuff they haven't even read (or even breezed over!). That's how you end up with a rental car after booking a Ryanair flight.

Caveat emptor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Fianna Fowl

It devious and underhanded. On the final page 'Service, terms and conditions' are highlighted. It's done in away to deceive people into believing they are signing up to 'Service, terms and conditions' of ticketmaster rather than taking out an insurance policy. How many people read the 'terms and conditions', very few i would guess.

Also this extra charge is not shown in the total for your ticket purchase, nor do you do a separate credit card authorization for it.

I authorized my credit card for 4 tickets and 4 service charges which was shown clearly to me. I did not authorize my credit card again for the insurance purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 columt

Ouch - I just got caught in the trap too.
    I was convinced I didn't select any insurance add-on but got stung for over €15.
    When I reviewed my steps I realized I had clicked the "yes" checkbox for "YES, Protect My Purchase, I confirm that I am an Irish or UK resident and that I have read, understood and saved the services, terms and conditions of the Missed Event Insurance".
    I assumed I was simply confirming the TicketMaster's T&Cs.
    Duh!

Given the volume of such issues, and that the first message on the Allianz number is an instruction for cancelling these policies, it's clearly deliberate on the parts of both Allianz and TicketMaster. Shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

NIMAN wrote: »
    I can guarantee you 100% I did not check any box, I just went through the normal procedure to buy tickets and checked out.

So the box must have been pre-checked for me. That to me should be illegal.

It is illegal so I doubt it was pre-checked. I bought tickets recently and you have to click yes, so maybe you clicked it thinking it was something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

It looks pretty clear to me.

Lux23 wrote: »
    It looks pretty clear to me.

It is perfectly clear, you'll really can't be mislead by it.

I don't know why people can't just accept they made a mistake.

I know i ticked the box.

I authorized my credit card for the ticket purchase and accompanying 'service charge'. This was clearly highlighted to the purchaser.

I was not asked for card authorization details for the separate ticket insurance, nor as part of the transaction was i shown the total for the insurance product.

They are being underhanded. Purchasers should be shown the total cost, i.e

4 X Service Charge €3.70 Total €14.80

and then asked to authorize their credit cards.

Their business model is based on fooling people into a purchase and ticketmaster facilitate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Simple solution....read what your agreeing to. It's not underhand. In saying that, my understanding is that they will do their best to offer refunds if possible.

I know i ticked the box.

I authorized my credit card for the ticket purchase and accompanying 'service charge'. This was clearly highlighted to the purchaser.

I was not asked for card authorization details for the separate ticket insurance, nor as part of the transaction was i shown the total for the insurance product.

4 X Service Charge 3.70 Total 14.80

Their business model is based on fooling people into a purchase and ticketmaster facilitate it.

Simple solution....read what your agreeing to. It's not underhand. In saying that, my understanding is that they will do their best to offer refunds if possible.

Really????

Who has the time or the inclination to read the 30+ pages of terms and conditions associated with every Apple, Google, Facebook etc upgrade?

Get real. Most assume that these companies are not trying to be evil and are happy to give them their business. Ticketmaster are just being evil, why you would defend this practice is beyond me.

People get conned all the time, no shame in it. I put my hands up and say i ticked the box. But call a spade a spade, its a con job.

More companies should use ticket.ie for ticket distribution. Great service

• Advertisement

It's not underhand.
    I think this is a perfect example of an underhanded practise, in other threads on other sites several used that exact phrase. Maybe you have a different definition of the term or something.
    In saying that, my understanding is that they will do their best to offer refunds if possible.
    and how did you hear about this? presumably from all the people who fell for the scam! there are hundreds of posts about this online. very telling...

Do you know if its easy to get a refund on travel insurance mistakenly bought while booking aer lingus flights? they also use allianz, but strangley there are not loads of threads with people complaing about unwittingly buying it so you probably have no idea. Ryanair did get in trouble for a similar scam
    http://www.thejournal.ie/ryanair-travel-insurance-1743842-Oct2014/

A poster said its the first option when you ring allianz! they know fine well people loads of people are unwantingly ordering it, this is extremely easy to rectify, but they obviously do want people to mistakenly buy it.

On other sites people said one big issue was that the price does not increase if the box is ticked to say yes, many would see this as being ticked "correctly" as they have it visually confirmed that there is apparently no increase in price and so they are not buying anything extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Really????

Who has the time or the inclination to read the 30+ pages of terms and conditions associated with every Apple, Google, Facebook etc upgrade?

Get real. Most assume that these companies are not trying to be evil and are happy to give them their business. Ticketmaster are just being evil, why you would defend this practice is beyond me.

People get conned all the time, no shame in it. I put my hands up and say i ticked the box. But call a spade a spade, its a con job.

More companies should use ticket.ie for ticket distribution. Great service

The difference with Apple, Facebook etc is that you have to tick the box to use the service. If you don't tick the box, then no dice.

Here, however, you don't have to tick the box. You don't have to do anything. If you ignore this section completely then you don't get insurance. It doesn't pre-select anything for you.

If you're randomly ticking boxes on websites then sooner or later you're going to get into trouble.

I know i ticked the box.

4 X Service Charge €3.70 Total €14.80

It's not remotely underhand or in any way illegal. If you actually looked at the page it states in big bold writing what is you're ticking/agreeing to.

Besides which you acknowledge you ticked the box, so you can't really claim you tricked into anything.

Why won't you all just accept that you made a mistake?

We all accept that we made a mistake. I admit to being a bit foolish.

Why can't you just accept that it is possible to make a mistake and be affected by something underhand?

Why won't you all just accept that you made a mistake?
    The real puzzle is why you and others cannot admit that it IS remotely underhand. I have never seen so much discussion online about people unwittingly buying something, there are loads of UK forums discussing this.

It's bizarre that people are ignoring all the glaringly obvious evidence that this is indeed a purposeful & planned underhanded act. FFS Allianz have it as their first option when you phone them!

As I said this would be extremely easy for them to rectify, now can anyone who thinks it's not "remotely underhand" explain why you think they have done nothing?

This is a perfect example of sharp practice, its actually a little worrying that some cannot see this.

I'm sorry but the overwhelming argument here is that "please absolve me of responsibility for not reading the instructions". It doesn't matter that the terms are particularly onerous, you agree to them then you agree to them. It's not underhand it's all very clear in black and white and you chose not to read them.

I can see an itunes human centipede in the pipeline in Ireland.....

I can see an itunes human centipede in the pipeline in Ireland.....
    Yes a great episode taking the piss out of underhanded scams just like this. Doesn't sound like you are "sorry" about anything, it's more like a sneery tone to your posts.
    Reviewing the episode for EW, Ken Tucker called the episode "scabrously funny" and summed up its message as "[k]nowledge really matters; many people are lazy and consequently become prey to exploitation"

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ticketmaster-customers-told-how-to-get-missed-event-cover-refund-1.2662419
    Ticketmaster customers told how to get ‘missed event cover’ refund
    Allianz offers phone line advice on policy bought ‘in error’

Fri, May 27, 2016

Allianz insurance is running a pre-recorded message on one of its phone lines specifically for people who want to cancel cover bought in error via Ticketmaster.
    The “missed event cover” can be easily bought by accident and is charged for separately, so that the final charge confirmed by customers using the Ticketmaster website does not include the insurance.
    The cost of the insurance, however, is charged to the same card.
    For tickets for tonight’s Republic of Ireland friendly against the Netherlands, the insurance costs €3 per ticket. Tickets for those aged under 16 cost just €10. Ticketmaster charges a “service charge” for each ticket it sells, and this does appear on the final deduction that has to be confirmed before the transaction is completed.
    It is very easy to inadvertently buy the insurance when using the site and because the small print says that the insurance is charged for separately, once the initial error is made, there is nothing in the rest of the process to alert the customer.
    Emails sent to customers who have bought cover include a Dublin contact number for Allianz Assistance.

Missed event
    When called, a message advises those who have bought missed event cover from Ticketmaster.ie that they can cancel it by returning the email to the sender, accompanied by a short statement seeking cancellation.
    An Allianz customer service agent told The Irish Times that it takes three to five days for the money to be returned.
    Requests for comments from Ticketmaster and Allianz Global Assistance, the vendors of the insurance, met with no response.
    This weekend thousands are expected at the soccer friendly, while more than 160,000 are attending Bruce Springsteen concerts in Croke Park tonight and Sunday nights.
    Missed event cover provides for cover of up to €1,000 per ticket.
    and people claim this is not underhanded! oh deary me, I'd like to hear examples of something they do think is sharp practise. Or find other irish times articles on other people mistakenly buying stuff like this.

I still don't accept it as underhand, it's there clear as day for anyone who even glances at it, I've never ticked it myself. People just need to pay more attention to what they agree/sign.

I still don't accept it as underhand, it's there clear as day for anyone who even glances at it, I've never ticked it myself. People just need to pay more attention to what they agree/sign.

Are you affiliated in any way to Allianz or Ticketmaster?

Tone is very similar to 'Gary' from Allianz who dealt with my compliant, i would not like to have Gary's job dealing with people every day that have been conned.

Who in there right mind would pay €14 to cover the risk of a €100 purchase....its just totally ridiculous.

I can't understand why an organisation like Allianz would align itself to such underhand tactics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Are you affiliated in any way to Allianz or Ticketmaster?

Please do not drag up the tired old chestnut of accusing people of working for the company under discussion. It's not a welcome comment here.

dudara

Advertisement