Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ticketmaster

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

No I am in no way affiliated. But I have used their site and Ryanair's to use 2 examples people moan about. they both very clearly have a box to tick to accept the extra charges whatever they may be. I'm all for transparency but people should take some ownership of what they sign up for. Don't tick if you don't agree....simples...

My favourite is the 'well I definitely didn't tick anything'......yes you did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Fianna Fowl

No I am in no way affiliated. But I have used their site and Ryanair's to use 2 examples people moan about. they both very clearly have a box to tick to accept the extra charges whatever they may be. I'm all for transparency but people should take some ownership of what they sign up for. Don't tick if you don't agree....simples...

My favourite is the 'well I definitely didn't tick anything'......yes you did!

I definitely did tick the box but i got my money back promptly after complaining.

The reality is the best con artists don't get €2m off one person but get €2 or €3 off a million people. Ticketmaster and Allianz with this carry on are just 3 card trick hustlers.

I've never come across a company that when you contact them direct you to how you can get your money back.....

To be honest it is brilliant in its audacity. The fact that people would defend this type is shark practice, with an air of superiority implying that one would have to be stupid to get caught plays its own part in the scam. Irish people often for fear of looking stupid and being sneered at will gladly play the sheep, keep quiet and accept the small loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

It's nothing to do with superiority, it's that old Irish thing..

The banks made me take the mortgage..
    The government take all our money..
    Anyone that makes money is corrupt..
    That person has a nicer thing than me, I'll damage it to teach them..

As a nation we seem to have a common thread of thought that we should not be responsible and it's someone else's fault.

In reality...sometimes it is your own fault, deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Fianna Fowl

It's nothing to do with superiority, it's that old Irish thing..

The banks made me take the mortgage..
    The government take all our money..
    Anyone that makes money is corrupt..
    That person has a nicer thing than me, I'll damage it to teach them..

As a nation we seem to have a common thread of thought that we should not be responsible and it's someone else's fault.

In reality...sometimes it is your own fault, deal with it.

You are confusing left wing populist idiocy with a straight forward deceit.

I consciously took out my mortgage etc, no one in their right mind would pay €14 to insure €100 worth of tickets.

I accept I got caught in a well laid trap, and this thread is a warning to others.

Your apparent belief that this practice is acceptable behaviour is hard to fathom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I take full responsibility for buying the insurance. It was my fault. That said, it is a sneaky way to sell it. I think it was a scam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Bump

Got caught with this yesterday when purchasing Future Island tickets for Cork, I supposed I was a bit stoned when doing the transaction and I don't like timed windows, I honestly thought I was ticking Ticketmasters T&Cs and wasn't paying attention. It was only when I received the email from the insurance company and since finding and reading this thread, I cancelled my insurance with the return email, so thanks for the heads up there.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

this thread was infuriating at the time, but looking back
    It's not remotely underhand
    that quote still gives me a good giggle, mindblowingly ludicrous!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

rubadub wrote: »
    this thread was infuriating at the time, but looking back

that quote still gives me a good giggle, mindblowingly ludicrous!

How so?

The Missed Event Insurance heading comes up in big bold writing just before you go on to the payment section - it's clear and obvious what you're clicking.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/59628/394991.png

Instead of being patronizing please explain why stating the facts is ludicrous?

Instead of being patronizing please explain why stating the facts is ludicrous?
    I have never seen so much discussion online about people unwittingly buying something, there are loads of UK forums discussing this.

It's bizarre that people are ignoring all the glaringly obvious evidence that this is indeed a purposeful & planned underhanded act. FFS Allianz have it as their first option when you phone them!

As I said this would be extremely easy for them to rectify, now can anyone who thinks it's not "remotely underhand" explain why you think they have done nothing?

This is a perfect example of sharp practice, its actually a little worrying that some cannot see this.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ticketmaster-customers-told-how-to-get-missed-event-cover-refund-1.2662419

and people claim this is not underhanded! oh deary me, I'd like to hear examples of something they do think is sharp practise. Or find other irish times articles on other people mistakenly buying stuff like this.

There's no point in simply stating over and over that it's underhanded - you need to show how it's underhanded. Otherwise it's just stamping your feet and whinging over a small mistake you made.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I don't think anyone is arguing that this product is useful or value for money. It's not.

It's the idea that people are tricked into buying it that create the objections. You have to actively tick a box that very clearly says "yes, I want Missed Event Insurance". If you tick nothing, you do not get the insurance.

And by all accounts, if you do buy it without bothering to read what you're buying, they have a very easy cancellation process.

It's not underhand, people are just too lazy to read.

you need to show how it's underhanded..
    A poster said its the first option when you ring allianz! they know fine well people loads of people are unwantingly ordering it, this is extremely easy to rectify, but they obviously do want people to mistakenly buy it.

On other sites people said one big issue was that the price does not increase if the box is ticked to say yes, many would see this as being ticked "correctly" as they have it visually confirmed that there is apparently no increase in price and so they are not buying anything extra.

I would like to hear of something you DO consider to be remotely underhanded, I am not talking about something blatantly obvious, I just want to know, and for others to get an idea. I want something you think is just borderline "underhanded". Then it may all become clear to people that your definition/determination is just extremely different from theirs -and so just agree to disagree.

I would like to hear of something you DO consider to be remotely underhanded, I am not talking about something blatantly obvious, I just want to know, and for others to get an idea. I want something you think is just borderline "underhanded". Then it may all become clear to people that your definition/determination is just extremely different from theirs -and so just agree to disagree.

Underhanded would be simply including the charge for the Missed Event insurance without telling you or giving you the option to opt and only showing you that extra charge after you've paid.

But that's not what Ticketmaster do.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

AudreyHepburn & rubadub - please it to PM please

dudara

How long does missed event insurance take to get back to you, I've emailed them twice to cancel but they haven't got back to me, do they take a week to get back to you on this.

Got a refund today in an email for the missed event insurance. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭hkjohn

My experience is oddly just exactly the opposite.

Just bought two E166 TX for Paul Simon only for the usual insurance optin NOT to appear.
    GIven that you have to purchase pretty quickly, went ahead and got the tickets. When I called
    Alianz about five minutes later, they told me they won't sell me insurance for the event as I
    didn't buy it when getting the TX

• Registered Users Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

hkjohn wrote:
    Just bought two E166 TX for Paul Simon only for the usual insurance optin NOT to appear. GIven that you have to purchase pretty quickly, went ahead and got the tickets. When I called Alianz about five minutes later, they told me they won't sell me insurance for the event as I didn't buy it when getting the TX

Do you really need the insurance?

hkjohn wrote: »
    When I called
    Alianz about five minutes later, they told me they won't sell me insurance for the event as I
    didn't buy it when getting the TX
    Maybe they were all flustered & confused. Or thought you were winding them up! could be the first time ever someone rang who was not looking to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭hkjohn

Maybe they were all flustered & confused. Or thought you were winding them up! could be the first time ever someone rang who was not looking to cancel.

I have a horrible feeling you're probably right!

• Advertisement
Advertisement